Author Topic: Wheelie With The Wife  (Read 15558 times)

Offline Fretka

Re: Wheelie With The Wife
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2011, 03:47:24 PM »
Yeah... what's with that picture of a Harley and wheelies together in the same sentence..... ;)

fretka
Wretched excess visited upon an innocent C-14

Offline Barry

• Arena
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2011, 04:09:15 PM »
I go well out of my way not to jostle the goods in back...  Braking and throttle inputs must be more gradual than when we are on our own.  Pretend the roads are wet and it is getting down around freezing...

Yeah - my wife has never experienced any of my bikes at full throttle.

Barry
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 08:08:40 PM by Barry »
Tail of the Dragon at Deal's Gap... Avoid it now, do a trackday.

Area P full exhaust, PC-V, Autotune, filter, flys out.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2011, 09:24:21 AM »
If you have ever had the TC kick in due to a power wheelie (high RPM hard shift from 1st to 2nd), you will know it immediately.  After it finishes slamming you into the bars, it shuts down the motor to a fraction of it's power, until you completely close the throttle for more than a moment.

Wow- I wouldn't have expected it to be that violent! 
(I am still riding in "new owner, ultra-conservative mode" so I doubt I have ever triggered TC yet.)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline CrashKLRtoConnie

« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2011, 07:54:38 AM »
Thanks

Will install the new improved Lead (Pb) front fender extender designed to reduce wife wheelies and kryptonite induced KPASS failures

Wife's first solo motorcycle ride was on her brothers Kawasaki 90 that she wheelied down the street and almost dumped .. but did not.

2008 C14 GTR1400 AKA "Connie"

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2011, 10:20:17 AM »
Wow- I wouldn't have expected it to be that violent! 
(I am still riding in "new owner, ultra-conservative mode" so I doubt I have ever triggered TC yet.)

It can be.  I've found myself cursing at it a couple of times after it 'over corrected'.

It seems to be directly proportionate to how much throttle is involved, and how quickly / drastically the front and rear speed sensors get out of sync.

In other words, the more aggressive you are when the front wheel comes off the ground, the more aggressive the traction control tries to "correct" the situation for you.

It probably seems logical when viewed as a formula to a design engineer, but in practical application, they should have applied a limit to it's 'correction capabilities'.  Either that, or added a 'wheelie' sensor.  ;)
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline DannyL

• PJF4x4
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2011, 11:09:47 AM »
What's the difference between a drop and a crash again?  (Just prepping...) ;)
A crash is when you have a bright light in your face followed by a "voice" explaining what the procedure is going to be to fix your "fill in the blank". All the while you're so stoned every one is dressed in RED, or so YOU THINK they are.... ah the memories......... ;D

valkmc

« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2011, 11:37:34 AM »
Daytona for Bike Week last year, Only had the bike a few weeks and was riding back to our campground around 1 am. Two bikes, one a metric crusier and a 600 sport bike were harrassing me at every stop light. About the third one I told the wife to hold on and punched it, when I banged 2nd the front tire came up enought to scare me and her. When I got to the next light both of the other bikes where laughing but as the light turned green one of them said thats a great bike as they sped off and I left slowly to make the wife happy.

Crash or drop, I fell off mine at about 15mph (in shop right now getting repaired). Not sure what to call it, there were several witnesses, the bike slide about 20 feet, no injuries to speak of so I thought it was a drop untill I got the insurance estimate $3700.00. For that much I think it should be an accident.

Offline blasphemy

« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2011, 07:56:22 PM »
Yes, it is very easy to"float" the front tire accelerating, especially in 1st or 2nd gear.  I got a surprise once with my daughter on the back in 3rd gear and we passed a slower car.  Going around him, we floated the front tire and my daughter says "Do it again daddy!"

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2011, 12:49:29 AM »
Crash or drop, I fell off mine at about 15mph (in shop right now getting repaired). Not sure what to call it, there were several witnesses, the bike slide about 20 feet, no injuries to speak of so I thought it was a drop untill I got the insurance estimate $3700.00. For that much I think it should be an accident.

$3700 is in the realm of a tip over.  Someone on this site (pre-crash) had their C14 totaled from a tip over in their garage (it fell on a large flower pot or something).

In Oregon, if the bike was in use (being ridden), then it automatically becomes a collision claim, which can go against your insurance driving record, meaning they will likely raise your rates soon.  If it was "the wind blew it over", it is treated as a comprehensive claim, which is in the 'theft, fire, vandalism' category, and less likely to result in rates going up unless you have a history of them.

Every state has their own insurance laws, but if you have the option, you want it to be a comprehensive claim rather than a collision claim.
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline ZRXwannabe

« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2011, 07:09:29 PM »
Happened once by accident with the wife on the back. She screamed like a ....well a girl. After that they were on purpose. As for solo ask the Mi State Trooper who issued me a ticket for careless driving. 3 points and $200 dollars. Ouch.
2008 Concours
2000 ZRX1100
1987 Mojave
1972 CB450 ss (project)

Offline stlheadake

• Probably not my smartest day...
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2011, 09:07:10 PM »
I had mine loaded headed for Alaska.  I was getting on the interstate.  I sped up, but there was a Semi coming hard.  I cracked the throttle and the front wheel came up.  I didn't panic, in fact, I stayed in it!  My baby did me right, and I hit 3rd.  I got on the interstate in front of that semi.  My dad caught up, and yelled to me "show off!"

I rather enjoy the instances when the front wheel comes up.  Reminds me of my old GSX-R.  You couldn't keep the front wheel on that thing down for nothing! 
What do you call those three wheeled Goldwings?....Chicken Wings

08 C14 WOW what a bike!
00 XR650r Hare Scrambler

Offline stewart

« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2011, 09:28:21 AM »
I've never been able to lift the front wheel with just roll of the wrist.

This weekend with the bike fully loaded + top box + wife...pulling away from the lights with a little more gusto than normal (with wife) I found the front wheel coming up to my surprise. TC kicked in promptly and brought the front down with a small bump and we continued on our merry way.

Stewart
2010 Concours14
COG 9380

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2011, 04:00:27 PM »
Remove the secondary throttle plates and the front end will come up with ease.

My Wife gets more upset when we start dragging pegs. She's used to the wheelies. 8)
The grass isn't always greener.