Author Topic: 1009 mile ride report  (Read 18326 times)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: 1009 mile ride report
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2015, 04:23:12 PM »
Ok, I get it you guys love the KIPASS system, so last rant and I'll shut up and color  ;D

I wouldn't say we all love it.  I am fairly indifferent to it, myself.  It has advantages and disadvantages.  It is more secure, in some ways it is more convenient, but it is also more complex and has a few design flaws.  So to me, the good is a little more than the bad.  So it isn't "great", but it isn't "horrible" either.

I bet you will find most people tend to be on the indifferent side....
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline dolomoto

• '08 C14 "Hot, Nasty, Bad-Ass Speed"
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2015, 04:32:49 PM »
I was headed to Savannah from picking up a new-to-me '10 and going 70mph in the left lane of I-77 in Columbia, SC. At the start of the ride, the TPMS reported the pressures as 42/43 f/r.

So, there I was in the left lane. The TPMS alerted me to a low pressure (28psi). I stayed in the left lane for a few seconds to see if the tire was going down quickly.

28, 26, 24, 19...all in 30 seconds. Just as I got onto the shoulder and got the 4-ways on the pressure read 10psi and was down to 5psi as I coasted into a gas station at the (luckily) next exit.

At first warning (28psi), the bike was still riding normally. I think I would have not noticed that it was going down until it was in the low teens.

TPMS saved me from at least an emergency situation or, at most a likely crash.

YMMV.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2015, 05:35:08 PM »
Yeah, see it is this kind of nonsense that keeps Kawasaki using KiPass.

I betcha' you think electronic ignition and fuel injection are good too, don't cha'? Well don't cha'? And you probably think they are here to stay rather than the flash in the pan that they really are..... why any minute now, we'll be back to the good ole' days of carburetors, wooden boxes with ignitions in them and both cars as motorcycles that start the way they should: by being cranked over manually! We don't need (and never did) no stinkin' electronical stuff!

::)

And, of course,  ;) and  ;D

Brian

I was headed to Savannah from picking up a new-to-me '10 and going 70mph in the left lane of I-77 in Columbia, SC. At the start of the ride, the TPMS reported the pressures as 42/43 f/r.

So, there I was in the left lane. The TPMS alerted me to a low pressure (28psi). I stayed in the left lane for a few seconds to see if the tire was going down quickly.

28, 26, 24, 19...all in 30 seconds. Just as I got onto the shoulder and got the 4-ways on the pressure read 10psi and was down to 5psi as I coasted into a gas station at the (luckily) next exit.

At first warning (28psi), the bike was still riding normally. I think I would have not noticed that it was going down until it was in the low teens.

YMMV.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2015, 05:41:33 PM »
True, KiPass' wonderfulness just cannot be overstated. I even use it on other machines: here it is running a Honda snowblower (when used this way, it is called Ho Blo pass):

Now just look at this poor person who lost her fob....

But I do understand, some people just prefer a simpler ride.... like this:

But whatever you like, cheers:

Brian

The mad pow-ah of KiPass is the only reason my bike has >109,000 miles on it and never evah left me walkin'. I never bought into the radiator protection, "pinning" bags, expensive oils, and a host of other measures suggested to me for this bike.  I always had the faith in the "KiPass".

For those not in the know, all the mad pow-ah resides in the FOB

At 200,000 miles when I'm parting my C14 bike out on the fleabay, I'll be smiling at those who knocked the KiPass
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2015, 05:45:27 PM »
I betcha' you think electronic ignition and fuel injection are good too, don't cha'? Well don't cha'? And you probably think they are here to stay rather than the flash in the pan that they really are..... why any minute now, we'll be back to the good ole' days of carburetors, wooden boxes with ignitions in them and both cars as motorcycles that start the way they should: by being cranked over manually! We don't need (and never did) no stinkin' electronical stuff!

Yah, I don't want none of that fancy 'lectronic stuff, give me a kick starter, a manual choke, an ignition spark advance lever, and a side operated shifter on an air cooled, rod bearing, solid steel hunk of an engine.  Who needs riding??? It is more fun just trying to get it started, keep it running, and fighting it and the noise and vibration!!  And don't dare add a kickstand, I like just laying it over when I am done :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2015, 05:52:09 PM »
Well, I'm gonna say that I like KIPASS...even with it's warts.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2015, 05:58:23 PM »
When I was a kid, an uncle (actually my mother's uncle) used to put together old Fords for chuckles, back before they were worth much. Mostly Model T's but also the occasional Model A. So while those vehicles were long gone in my lifetime, I actually got to know them a bit, work on them, start them and learn about them (drove a couple of 'T's too- not very pleasant IMO, marginally better than a lawn tractor but not by much, and not as durable). It was fascinating frolicking with wooden spark boxes (the thing that far exceeded the 'old' distributor and coil mechanism), flat belt drives, generator / starters (on 1919 and later models- the "modern" Model T's !) planetary transmissions with band clutches (a Model T has no clutch that the operator uses per se), and manual spark advance. All fascinating, all terrible and all horribly unreliable. I am glad I had the exposure (Easy Boys!) but really like the vehicles of 2015 and beyond, I hope.

Brian

Yah, I don't want none of that fancy 'lectronic stuff, give me a kick starter, a manual choke, an ignition spark advance lever, and a side operated shifter on an air cooled, rod bearing, solid steel hunk of an engine.  Who needs riding??? It is more fun just trying to get it started, keep it running, and fighting it and the noise and vibration!!  And don't dare add a kickstand, I like just laying it over when I am done :)

Offline clogan

« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2015, 07:12:10 PM »
I was a slow convert to KiPass...but now I like it just fine. Much better in fact than the fob systems on my Corvette or the wife's Focus. But it took me some time, and it took some customizing. First, I fixed my glove box so that I could open it anytime I wanted, fob or no fob, engine running or not running. Next, I cut off a spare key from the locksmith, JB Welded it into a radio knob for use on the side cases, seat, and gas hole. Then I put the fob into the glove box, where it will reside until the end of time...or at least until it needs a new battery. In the very rare times I might need security, I can either remove the fob and carry it with me, or I can remove the stove knob ignition key and carry it with me. But based on where and how I ride and park my bike, leaving the fob in the glove box is no risk at all. (Some have speculated that, outside of actual C-14 owners, very, very few people would ever be able to figure out how to start the bike in any event.)
2010 Neptune blue C14
2009 blue KLR
2013 DRZ400

Offline Blown32

« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2015, 07:16:20 PM »

YMMV.

Ok, you just sold me on the tire pressure sensors.  I now place them in the PROs section!

Seriously, that is a great example of how they can be useful and potentially prevent serious issues.

Thanks
Current 2 wheel rides:
2014 Councours 14, 2003 ZRX1200r, 2001 ZRX1200r, 1994 KLR 650, 1985 Eliminator 900 (will sell in the spring)

Offline Blown32

« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2015, 07:21:54 PM »
I was a slow convert to KiPass...but now I like it just fine. Much better in fact than the fob systems on my Corvette or the wife's Focus. But it took me some time, and it took some customizing. First, I fixed my glove box so that I could open it anytime I wanted, fob or no fob, engine running or not running. Next, I cut off a spare key from the locksmith, JB Welded it into a radio knob for use on the side cases, seat, and gas hole. Then I put the fob into the glove box, where it will reside until the end of time...or at least until it needs a new battery. In the very rare times I might need security, I can either remove the fob and carry it with me, or I can remove the stove knob ignition key and carry it with me. But based on where and how I ride and park my bike, leaving the fob in the glove box is no risk at all. (Some have speculated that, outside of actual C-14 owners, very, very few people would ever be able to figure out how to start the bike in any event.)

Thanks, I like your mod ideas and will likely give it a try.
Current 2 wheel rides:
2014 Councours 14, 2003 ZRX1200r, 2001 ZRX1200r, 1994 KLR 650, 1985 Eliminator 900 (will sell in the spring)

Offline SilverConnieRider

« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2015, 08:50:18 PM »
A McCruise is my favorite farkle and works as good or better then my SUV.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2015, 11:37:51 PM »
Ok, you just sold me on the tire pressure sensors.  I now place them in the PROs section!

Seriously, that is a great example of how they can be useful and potentially prevent serious issues.

Another is just simply being able to check your tire pressures easily every start of every ride.  It is quite convenient and the best way to ensure maximum tire life and safety on a heavy bike.   Right after I start the bike it goes straight to pressures until I get a reading, then I change it to outside temp.

It is nice knowing the computer is watching the pressures and ready to alert anytime one goes too low.  We have had several story postings similar to dolomoto's

Offline Blown32

« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2015, 05:35:45 AM »
A McCruise is my favorite farkle and works as good or better then my SUV.

Lots of good reviews of them, likely be in next year's round of mods. 
Current 2 wheel rides:

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2015, 06:33:02 AM »
Yeah, see it is this kind of nonsense that keeps Kawasaki using KiPass.

::)

And, of course,  ;) and  ;D

Brian

Yup, I will never buy another street bike without EFI and ABS. I loved some of my older bikes but I ain't going back to 'the good ole` days'.

Offline Beary

« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2015, 08:02:23 AM »
I rather like the FOB because I don't like taking off my gloves and hunting for a key with my riding gear on. But Kawasaki was too cleaver with their Kipass design thus adding some risk for getting the rider stranded.

Harley's security system is very simple, if you have the FOB, the starter will engage, otherwise it won't. Isn't that all we really want.

Some folks complement Yamaha for leaving the old school key system in the FJR, but a common FJR complaint is the keys are too soft and "often" break. FJR owners learn to carry a spare.

Beary

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2015, 10:00:35 AM »
Good post.

I think what we really have to be careful not to do is to combine various faults and attribute them to the wrong source. The only two problems with KiPass that I am aware of are not really with KiPass at all but rather other, support parts of the system. It would be the same thing as having a fuse pop and then claiming the damn headlights on a car never were a good idea and why did we ever leave kerosene lamps in the first place, etc., etc..

The first is the infamous activation switch. That is the switch the rider activates when the key is pressed down, which in turn powers up the KiPass system so that it 'looks' for a valid fob. The switch sticks down or 'ON' and causes a system failure but really, that switch is not part of KiPass anymore than the wires that KiPass uses or the fuses that power it. Unfortunately it is this very failure that has and continues to strand people but it is not because of the electronic proximity system itself (KiPass) but rather the switch that Kawasaki put in their ignition switch housing that is causing the failure.

The second failure is the Mobil fuel pump fob system interfering with the radio signal of the KiPass fob system. Now here we really have nothing more than two radios trying to use the same channel at the same time to transmit and that just ain't gonna' work. The 'fix' for this situation is nothing more than rolling the bike a couple feet away from the fuel pump, or using the passive, RFID portion of KiPass. Again, I think it is important to remember that it is not KiPass that has failed, it is the radio link of KiPass and this is a critical difference.

As far as other proximity, or true key-less systems (which KiPass is not), they all work in a similar enough manner that no manufacturer or brand has any particular advantage that I am aware of. Further, the KiPass system is actually produced by Mitsubishi, which produces the majority of these systems for the Japanese auto manufacturers and we rarely hear any complaints about, say, Lexus in this regard.

Yamaha's FJR actually does have a proximity activation system.... they just do not sell it in the US, only the rest of the world. Apparently, we are perceived as Luddites and so Yamaha (and other manufacturers) withhold the technology so as not to make us too grumpy and whiny.... at least not anymore than we already are. [funny but true]

Brian

I rather like the FOB because I don't like taking off my gloves and hunting for a key with my riding gear on. But Kawasaki was too cleaver with their Kipass design thus adding some risk for getting the rider stranded.

Harley's security system is very simple, if you have the FOB, the starter will engage, otherwise it won't. Isn't that all we really want.

Some folks complement Yamaha for leaving the old school key system in the FJR, but a common FJR complaint is the keys are too soft and "often" break. FJR owners learn to carry a spare.

Beary

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2015, 10:58:50 AM »

Thanks
Don't forget kids, this can happen too. And the sensors give no warning before the tire explodes. It even popped the beads.
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline Beary

« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2015, 02:53:22 PM »
So what I understand your are saying Brian is that the Kipasss only controls the key relay, not the starter at all. So by disabling the relay, the Kipass has no function at all and will not prevent starting the bike. Interesting.

I think a security system with a FOB that disables only the starter switch can be purchased for less than $30. Hmm, thinking, thinking....

Beary

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2015, 03:35:47 PM »
So what I understand your are saying Brian is that the Kipasss only controls the key relay, not the starter at all. So by disabling the relay, the Kipass has no function at all and will not prevent starting the bike. Interesting.

I think a security system with a FOB that disables only the starter switch can be purchased for less than $30. Hmm, thinking, thinking....

Beary

Nope. The ECU will not work without first being activated by KIPASS. The bike won't start and it won't run. Even if you defeated the mechanical solenoid that keeps the stove knob from turning to "on", the bike would not start or run. Even if you then tried to bump start it would not start or run.

Offline Beary

« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2015, 04:34:58 PM »
Nope. The ECU will not work without first being activated by KIPASS. The bike won't start and it won't run. Even if you defeated the mechanical solenoid that keeps the stove knob from turning to "on", the bike would not start or run. Even if you then tried to bump start it would not start or run.
So, if I disable the solenoid to where the knob can turn without the fob, then it would work like a Harley? What is the downside of that?

Beary