Author Topic: rear tire mileage comparo  (Read 17416 times)

Offline TEXREX02

Re: rear tire mileage comparo
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2015, 08:49:48 AM »
PR4 GT's 190/50  4767 miles. 

Both front and rear were toast.  Rear was into the wear bars, front was cupping.  Aggressive sport riding on hot, twisty Texas roads.

FWIW:  That's twice the mileage I get out of sport tires on my ZRX.
'02 ZRX
'10 C14

Offline tbanzer

« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2015, 11:15:48 AM »
I average around 5k on both front and rear tires pr2 or pr3s. I just returned from a 7047 mile 23 state round trip and both new pr4s are are around half spent. A little off the subject but has anyone notice handlebar shake on decell with the pr4s? As  soon as I installed the tires I noticed a slight shake in the bars around 45 to 60mph.

Offline dolomoto

• '08 C14 "Hot, Nasty, Bad-Ass Speed"
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2015, 07:24:01 PM »
I have about 10,000 miles on this set of PR4GT (89,900 miles on the C14)...they have just less than 50% tread left...I'd estimate next change (TWI showing) at around 18,000 miles. That is typical with my other PRx mileage. IIRC, I had a front or two go over 20k an several rears go 15k+.

Mostly interstate, very few miles cornering...but I don't think that affects my mileage since the center (hard) compound is not a factor when cornering. Rather, I think it is a bit of local road surface and mostly driving habits. I ease from the starts, short shift (2nd to 4th when the RPM's allow) and have a habit of hyper-miling.

YMMV.

sailor_chic

« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2015, 09:49:29 AM »
I just got back from a nice fabulous road trip and my PR4GT's have 11,600 miles on them and I could still put more miles on them, but I will retire them now. They owe me nothing!

Offline Gigantor

• I often regretted my speech, but never my silence.
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2015, 10:28:33 AM »
I average around 5k on both front and rear tires pr2 or pr3s. I just returned from a 7047 mile 23 state round trip and both new pr4s are are around half spent. A little off the subject but has anyone notice handlebar shake on decell with the pr4s? As  soon as I installed the tires I noticed a slight shake in the bars around 45 to 60mph.

I would check your tire pressure first, try 42 psi front and rear

I digress: Tires are the absolute most important part on your C14. . .why F around with expensive farkles
then try to save money on tires? buy the best tire available
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 11:14:38 AM by Gigantor »

2014 Concours 14 ABS Metallic Spark Black
 Xpel Custom Bra kit, SOCALMOTOGEAR HID system, Philip Luggage Rack, Projekt D Radiator Guard, Carbon Fiber Rear Hugger, Mini Euro Sport Shield, Kaw Tour Seat, HF80/2 Horn, RG Frame Sliders, PR4

Offline Riverszzr

• Lloyd's Motorcycle Performance Center
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2015, 05:19:44 PM »
 I just had a 4,682 mile 2011 C14 in and the front tire was worn well past the wear bars and cupped to **** while the rear was "flattened" but still had 1/32 over the wear bars. Those were the oe original tires, that apparently see much two up riding.

I do have some records of one C14 where he has been anywhere from 4300=5100 per rear and been usually seeing 5500-6200 out of fronts-  and it really wasn't making much difference in what tire he ran. It was making more difference on where and how he rode.
 Could ride on one tire- say a PR2 once and get 4300 miles then the next one be 5000
                                - then run a BT023 and get 4600 and follow it up with a 023GT and see 4400, and another 023GT and see 5100 etc...
 But generally he never swayed from most to least by more than 800 miles on any of them, and quite often fronts were taken off and tossed with the rear, rather than have to come back in a weeks time.
I haven't been keeping track in a couple years as he started changing his own...maybe he figured those 4+ sets each year was worth a little equipment investment to save some time and money. Plus he has been on numerous out of state trips the past couple years and doing a lot of take the tire off, install new and return home and swap back to the one he took off etc...... that would be a lot of expense to pay someone to be doing twice as many tire changes.... (for sure negate out any perceived savings by swapping them so much)

I read comments of people claiming remarkable mileage out of certain tires, I think much of that has to do with road composition and how you ride, more than what tire you are riding on.

I have yet to see anyone locally who rides WI hill country on any bike with any tire, who rides with the group I ride with get more than about 5000 miles out of a rear tire, and the vast majority of riders are sub 4000 miles- with numerous of them sub 3000 miles.. Based on those who attend the every weekend riding---of course we have the grannies who putt around for weeks on end and only ride with the group once or twice a year who get more

My typical sport touring bike to come through usually sees about 8000 miles out of the rear, if there is such a thing as typical.
 I have seen on numerous bikes for those who went from PR2's to PR3's and even PR4's that they dropped tire life mileage often in half.
 And nearly none of the people who have used both the 023 ~now~ T30 vs a PR2 have seen any significant mileage difference between them.

Offline Riverszzr

« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2015, 05:23:09 PM »
I just got back from a nice fabulous road trip and my PR4GT's have 11,600 miles on them and I could still put more miles on them, but I will retire them now. They owe me nothing!

That front tire looks completely cupped to me. To me that is a throw away tire

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2015, 09:14:21 AM »

That's fantastic! My PR4's have less than 8,000 on them and they don't look that good.

Offline brant bandit

« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2015, 01:12:51 PM »
I'm almost at 11,000 km / 6,800 miles on my stock tires and the read tread indicator is now flat with the tire. Still some tread left but not much and time to change.

Looks like the PR4 GT is the way to go, but the other guy had huge mileage on the Angels! Most of my riding is straight boring rides on my commute.
2014 Concours 1400 in black (the fastest colour)
COG# 11854

Offline PlaynInPeoria

« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2015, 10:43:57 AM »
I don't compare my mileage to anyone else's.  Too many variables, roads, how hard it's ridden, how well it's ridden etc.

I will listen when someone says, "I got X out of a PR3 and Y out of a PR4" or whatever brand. That's a good comparison. And I pay attention to what I get between tires.   

I got more out of PR2's than Angel GT A specs and the PR2's are way cheaper.  And I rode home 3 hours in a downpour at 80 on my other bike, no problems. And I dragged pegs on a track on my old FZ1 on them. PR2's all day long for me, until they stop making them.

Something I find annoying is, "I have 42 miles on Brand X and they're awesome".  Who cares?  New tires always feel great. Or maybe I'm just crotchety?
2012 "root beer" C14 - unlinked brakes, reflash, LED headlights, Walmart orange city lights, LOUD horn, Laam seat, radar detector for ahem, reasons.
2013 Aprilia Tuono, 2009 CRF-150F

Offline Riverszzr

« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2015, 11:01:13 AM »
I don't compare my mileage to anyone else's.  Too many variables, roads, how hard it's ridden, how well it's ridden etc.

I will listen when someone says, "I got X out of a PR3 and Y out of a PR4" or whatever brand. That's a good comparison. And I pay attention to what I get between tires.   

I got more out of PR2's than Angel GT A specs and the PR2's are way cheaper.  And I rode home 3 hours in a downpour at 80 on my other bike, no problems. And I dragged pegs on a track on my old FZ1 on them. PR2's all day long for me, until they stop making them.

Something I find annoying is, "I have 42 miles on Brand X and they're awesome".  Who cares?  New tires always feel great. Or maybe I'm just crotchety?

:goodpost:

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2015, 02:21:50 PM »
+12 on all your points!
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Fretka

« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2015, 11:12:12 AM »
How about car tires on your bike, I hear you get great mileage, I'm thinlin of doing it. (maybe).
Wretched excess visited upon an innocent C-14

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2015, 11:18:50 AM »
with turbo?

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2015, 11:34:16 AM »
I heard that several contestants in this years Iron Butt Rally used car tires.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2015, 12:06:59 PM »
 :_shudder_Emoticon :yikes:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2015, 03:35:15 PM »
Yeah, that is just not the 'hot button' issue it used to be, at least not around here. I have a theory on why that is and it has nothing to do with the issue but perhaps the fire-eaters are spending their time elsewhere. I mean once you remove the insane, evil and nasty, what do you really have left but conversation and the exchange of ideas? <tapping my toes, looking up at the sky and whistling.....  ::) >

Brian

How about car tires on your bike, I hear you get great mileage, I'm thinlin of doing it. (maybe).
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Fretka

« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2015, 10:38:40 AM »
Foiled my evil intentions to start a topic war by Brian's erudite and common sense reaction!

(to those who might not remember I was known to be firmly opposed to car tire use on bikes some years back).
Wretched excess visited upon an innocent C-14

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2015, 01:41:10 PM »
Since 90% of my time is spent on the highway at relatively high speeds, I think I am gonna try a Michelin Commander II when I replace the PR4 GT. I got really good mileage out of them on my last bike.
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2015, 02:09:24 PM »
I did not really foil anything, merely pointed out how difficult it is to get a fire lit under this collective group lately. Perhaps the bike has been around long enough not for the 'haters' to have waned and have stopped raging against the changes on this new bike. Perhaps they are still out there and still raging but on other, newer topics? Perhaps they are just somewhere else and we cannot hear them from here (my personal theory)?

I just posted so that you would know that your effort did not go unnoticed Bruce, and it was not a bad effort. The problem seems that there is just less irrationality to work with in the first place in recent times. Sometimes I almost think humanity is actually improving but then I take a quick look at the news and realize that we are all still chasing mastodons and sitting around the communal fire; it is just that the mastodons are smaller and the fire is more refined.... we remain the same.

On the car tire front, I too remain firm in my opinions.... I do not care if anyone wants to use them on motorcycles or not but I find the fact that it works at least passably well fascinating.  ;)

Brian

Foiled my evil intentions to start a topic war by Brian's erudite and common sense reaction!

(to those who might not remember I was known to be firmly opposed to car tire use on bikes some years back).
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com