Author Topic: Bike vibrates from 85miles/hr  (Read 20466 times)

Offline Rhino

• Arena
Re: Bike vibrates from 85miles/hr
« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2014, 08:58:35 AM »
And yep, the faster than the speed of light IS interesting but it begs the question: would the headlights be effective in that envelope of movement? Dan? Dan, where are you?

Brian

Of course they would. Because relative to you the light leaving the headlights would still be going the speed of light. Maybe a bit of a Doppler shift though.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2014, 09:12:51 AM »
Well now we are getting a little off- topic maybe....  :yikes:

I think the light would advance (forward, in the direction of the vehicle) but the particles (the vehicle itself) would be ahead of the advancing light. Sort of like shooting a rifle at an aircraft moving away from the shooter at hyper speed of, say, Mach 3 or greater; the projectile would advance quite rapidly but actually fall behind the aircraft from the time it left the rifle's muzzle.

But of course this is open to all manner of theory and conjecture.

Where is Dan when we need him most?

Brian

Of course they would. Because relative to you the light leaving the headlights would still be going the speed of light. Maybe a bit of a Doppler shift though.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2014, 10:47:53 AM »
Well now we are getting a little off- topic maybe....  :yikes:

I think the light would advance (forward, in the direction of the vehicle) but the particles (the vehicle itself) would be ahead of the advancing light. Sort of like shooting a rifle at an aircraft moving away from the shooter at hyper speed of, say, Mach 3 or greater; the projectile would advance quite rapidly but actually fall behind the aircraft from the time it left the rifle's muzzle.

But of course this is open to all manner of theory and conjecture.

Where is Dan when we need him most?

Brian

But would that cause an 85 mph vibration?

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2014, 11:15:14 AM »
Perhaps but I now wonder if he was ever really going 85 MPH. Hmmmmmm?

Brian

But would that cause an 85 mph vibration?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline tomp

« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2014, 11:31:37 AM »
Perhaps but I now wonder if he was ever really going 85 MPH. Hmmmmmm?

Brian

Been eight days, and yubee hasn't come back with further info, thanks, a conclusion to his problem, nothing.  Kinda strange to me...At least we shared good stuff with each other. Who ever said QM was boring and confusing?  Not none of me, for sure.  tp
Living in the Texas Coast...

Offline datsaxman@hotmail.com

• Arena
« Reply #45 on: August 18, 2014, 03:40:23 PM »
Brian...amigo...

You have the maths and the physics mostly wrong.  But at least you are having fun with it.

I won't comment here again so the thread can stay open...

saxman
2008 ZG14X...ZX14 throttle bodies, full AreaP exhaust, heated grips, Corbin, and more...
161.5RWHP on the dyno
Formerly Silverdammit!

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #46 on: August 18, 2014, 04:03:42 PM »
Wow, you cannot comment without making Jim close the thread? Besides, am I really wrong or is it that you calculated the probability is high that I am wrong?

As someone just said, the OP hasn't been back as often happens. Nevertheless, that person got useful information (I think), some good suggestions, guiless banter and nearly infinite (Easy Physics Boys!) entertainment. A winner all around....

:rotflmao:

And hey, there is a thread on the other forum about which way valve lash changes and <gasp!> why it is how it is. I just jammed a bunch of material properties in that thread and am now waiting for the backlash (yep, pun intended).

Brian

Brian...amigo...

You have the maths and the physics mostly wrong.  But at least you are having fun with it.

I won't comment here again so the thread can stay open...

saxman

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
« Reply #47 on: August 18, 2014, 06:31:27 PM »
Ok...I ignored this thread until today. I just read through all four pages, and the whole works is nonsense...lol.

Rem :o

“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline tomp

« Reply #48 on: August 18, 2014, 06:37:54 PM »
Ok...I ignored this thread until today. I just read through all four pages, and the whole works is nonsense...lol.

OK, what is your recommendation for yubee?  Inquiring minds... well you know.   tp
Living in the Texas Coast...

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #49 on: August 18, 2014, 07:01:55 PM »
Hey, I answered the guy's question / problem in reply #4. Don't let quantum mechanics throw you- there is good info. in this thread and Q.M. is nonsensical anyway (yeah, that was aimed at you Dan).  ;D

Brian

Son of Pappy

« Reply #50 on: August 18, 2014, 09:24:31 PM »
I have a permanent solution to the OP.  Give me your bike, sign the title over and I will trade you a distant cousin of Kirby with the same weight problem.  I promise I will never ride at 85, although I will pass it going both ways.

Another solution to the problem?  When was the last time you change your fob batteries and what oil do you run???

Lastly, do an exhaust volume test (stock or after market as we never did get an accurate test result).  The last time this was tried the tape melted before the 55 gallon hefty bag was at max volume.  BDF tried zip ties but the bag melted and made quite the mess.  Why the volume test?  The exhaust pulse from other than OEM is creating sonic waves that resonate in ways the brilliant engineers (KIPASS guys) never tested.

Offline yubee

« Reply #51 on: August 18, 2014, 09:57:22 PM »
Ok, I had to ensure I checked all I had to check before responding. I got a new TPMS installed . All bolts and nuts are torqued correctly. Checked the rear and front wheel bearing and all looks good. Tires are brand new PR 4s. Rode the bike again, all smooth up to 65m/h . At about 80m/h it's vibrates then wobbles :o Note, Bike was perfect up to the end of the speed dial on the OEM tires. So,
I placed an order for the bikemaster wheel balancer. Will like to try my hands balancing the tires myself. Still open to ideas guys

Son of Pappy

« Reply #52 on: August 18, 2014, 10:48:06 PM »
If all is balanced, no other changes to bike or setup I would question the tire.  Maybe a fluke?  Any idea on how they reatached the front tire? 
Just to be sure, no other changes to the suspension??

If this persists can I have your bike?  I miss my '08 :(

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #53 on: August 19, 2014, 07:21:22 AM »
Shades of dusty memories! I remember that thread- it was nothing short of fantastic. The original poster was a guy in TX if I remember right and he said that idling the C-14 put out stronger exhaust pulses at idle that at greater speeds. Then the plastic bag on the exhaust thing started and it became absolutely one of the best threads of the year (maybe forever)!

I think that went with the great Fournami of 2011. Too bad too 'cause I would go read that right now. Sure people would wonder what I was laughing at but who cares!

Thanks for that memory Chet- good stuff!

Brian

<snip>

Lastly, do an exhaust volume test (stock or after market as we never did get an accurate test result).  The last time this was tried the tape melted before the 55 gallon hefty bag was at max volume.  BDF tried zip ties but the bag melted and made quite the mess.  Why the volume test?  The exhaust pulse from other than OEM is creating sonic waves that resonate in ways the brilliant engineers (KIPASS guys) never tested.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #54 on: August 19, 2014, 07:31:29 AM »
Ok, I had to ensure I checked all I had to check before responding. I got a new TPMS installed . All bolts and nuts are torqued correctly. Checked the rear and front wheel bearing and all looks good. Tires are brand new PR 4s. Rode the bike again, all smooth up to 65m/h . At about 80m/h it's vibrates then wobbles :o Note, Bike was perfect up to the end of the speed dial on the OEM tires. So,
I placed an order for the bikemaster wheel balancer. Will like to try my hands balancing the tires myself. Still open to ideas guys

Where you at? I've got a Marc Parnes balancer that I have had good results with. I wouldn't expect it to make this kind of problem but have you checked that they put the tires and front wheel with the correct rotation? My son just had a dealer put a tire on his KLR backwards.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #55 on: August 19, 2014, 09:58:05 AM »
Shades of dusty memories! I remember that thread- it was nothing short of fantastic. The original poster was a guy in TX if I remember right and he said that idling the C-14 put out stronger exhaust pulses at idle that at greater speeds. Then the plastic bag on the exhaust thing started and it became absolutely one of the best threads of the year (maybe forever)!

I think that went with the great Fournami of 2011. Too bad too 'cause I would go read that right now. Sure people would wonder what I was laughing at but who cares!

Thanks for that memory Chet- good stuff!

Brian

I remember him, I think it was Roland and not the Roland with the Thompson.  I miss him.  Nothing, absolutely nothing could top Haroldo in terms of thread enjoyment and self satisfaction in knowing that I'm so  :censored: glad I never attempted the valve adjustment.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline yubee

« Reply #56 on: August 19, 2014, 11:55:00 AM »
Where you at? I've got a Marc Parnes balancer that I have had good results with. I wouldn't expect it to make this kind of problem but have you checked that they put the tires and front wheel with the correct rotation? My son just had a dealer put a tire on his KLR backwards.

Rechecked rotation and its correct.

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #57 on: August 19, 2014, 02:14:24 PM »
Note, Bike was perfect up to the end of the speed dial on the OEM tires.
I am curious. What do you mean by 'end of the speed dial'? How fast is that?
Also are you saying the bike was 'fine until you installed new tires?
Are you installing the tires or is a dealer installing them and who and how are they being balanced?
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #58 on: August 19, 2014, 02:20:00 PM »
2010 C-14
Mileage 5500 miles
I took my bike to a local Tire Repair Tech to have my new tires ( Michelin PR4 ) installed.
Tech ripped the TPS apart but fixed it with Super Glue and Araldite. Sensor is still working and looks okay.
Bike now runs smooth up to about  80 miles per hour and then all hell is let loose. The bike now vibrates seriously and seems to wobbling at very high frequency.
If I try to brake at this speed I notice it doesn't stop in a straight line and seems to be go in a zig-zag direction as it stops.
Checked my brake pads and got them changed out. I also noticed the Rear tire seemed to have a little play and when I checked with the Bike on the Center stand.
Has anyone experienced this also please.

His original post...  Assuming all was put back correctly (have my doubts) I think it's a bad tire.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #59 on: August 19, 2014, 03:13:25 PM »
I agree Jim. Sounds like the tire.
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle