Author Topic: Bike vibrates from 85miles/hr  (Read 20467 times)

Offline yubee

Bike vibrates from 85miles/hr
« on: August 10, 2014, 03:59:25 PM »
2010 C-14
Mileage 5500 miles
I took my bike to a local Tire Repair Tech to have my new tires ( Michelin PR4 ) installed.
Tech ripped the TPS apart but fixed it with Super Glue and Araldite. Sensor is still working and looks okay.
Bike now runs smooth up to about  80 miles per hour and then all hell is let loose. The bike now vibrates seriously and seems to wobbling at very high frequency.
If I try to brake at this speed I notice it doesn't stop in a straight line and seems to be go in a zig-zag direction as it stops.
Checked my brake pads and got them changed out. I also noticed the Rear tire seemed to have a little play and when I checked with the Bike on the Center stand.
Has anyone experienced this also please.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Bike vibrates from 85miles/hr
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2014, 06:56:12 PM »
If you didn't have that issue before then either the tech didn't install something correctly, balance the tire correctly, or one of the tires isn't right.  There shouldn't be any play in the rear wheel.  Could be something out of whack there and could cause things to get squirrely.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Kirby

• I ride up front and look through the hole.
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2014, 07:00:58 PM »
What is that supposed to mean? Is that some kind of cheap shot? What exactly do you mean by 'get squirrely'? What would be wrong with something 'getting suqirrely'?

>:(

Kirby

<snip>

Could be something out of whack there and could cause things to get squirrely.
Member: Dead Rodent's Riders
President: KiPass Lover's Society

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2014, 07:02:34 PM »
Sorry Jim, I couldn't stop him. You know how he can be....

Then again, 'squirrely' is kind of old- school and probably not politically correct anymore. Just sayin'.

Brian

What is that supposed to mean? Is that some kind of cheap shot? What exactly do you mean by 'get squirrely'? What would be wrong with something 'getting suqirrely'?

Kirby
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2014, 07:06:02 PM »
No way to know but the most likely thing is what Jim said- bad balance or possibly a bad tire. Also the possibility that one tire bead is not 100% seated. Any of those things are 'not good' but a bead not seated would be bad. Most likely it is balance though because the other two problems would not normally suddenly appear at a particular speed but would always be present.

You can check to see if both tires rotate without any wobble while the bike is on the centerstand; just look for something obviously not tracking true as the tire and wheels rotate. After that, I would suggest taking the bike back to where you had the work done and asking them to have a look and possibly do a quick check on both tire's balance.

Brian

2010 C-14
Mileage 5500 miles
I took my bike to a local Tire Repair Tech to have my new tires ( Michelin PR4 ) installed.
Tech ripped the TPS apart but fixed it with Super Glue and Araldite. Sensor is still working and looks okay.
Bike now runs smooth up to about  80 miles per hour and then all hell is let loose. The bike now vibrates seriously and seems to wobbling at very high frequency.
If I try to brake at this speed I notice it doesn't stop in a straight line and seems to be go in a zig-zag direction as it stops.
Checked my brake pads and got them changed out. I also noticed the Rear tire seemed to have a little play and when I checked with the Bike on the Center stand.
Has anyone experienced this also please.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2014, 07:11:36 PM »

Kirby

Look Kirb, don't get on my bad side.  I haven't banned anyone lately and I'm just itchin to do so.  You could make my day....just keep on...  And yeah, I'll just say it.  I don't like squirrels.  They're bad for business, eat up my vegetables, smoke cigarettes and throw the butts on the ground.  They're just bad news all around with their fuzzy tails and climbing trees and throwing nuts on you.  The more I think about it, the more I want to buy a 410. ;D :deadhorse:   Just substitute a squirrel for the horse and you should get my drift on squirrels.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2014, 07:58:04 PM »

Kirby

:rotflmao:

jirod

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2014, 08:27:31 PM »
The inertial load on a sensor at 80  mph is considerable (I came up with 425 times the acceleration of gravity, but it's late and I may have made a math error).  Assuming everything is good with the tire, the installation, and the balancing, your damaged sensor may be deforming or even lose in the tire, still transmitting, but throwing the wheel out of balance.  I think they owe you a new sensor. I wouldn't trust superglue and araldite to hold it together. That is not a safe repair procedure in my opinion.

Offline datsaxman@hotmail.com

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2014, 09:39:19 PM »
jirod, I get over 600g.  THAT IS A LOT ALL RIGHT!!

Second the motion that the tech needs to inspect on the shop's time and dime. 

saxman
2008 ZG14X...ZX14 throttle bodies, full AreaP exhaust, heated grips, Corbin, and more...
161.5RWHP on the dyno
Formerly Silverdammit!

Offline Conrad

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2014, 04:57:10 AM »
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline mike-s4

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2014, 06:49:04 AM »

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2014, 06:53:37 AM »
 :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2014, 07:28:48 AM »
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Me too!!!!!   :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

back on the OPs issue....

like it has already been said....

If you didn't have that issue before then either the tech didn't install something correctly, balance the tire correctly, or one of the tires isn't right.  There shouldn't be any play in the rear wheel.  Could be something out of whack there and could cause things to get squirrely.
The Pope
2011 C-14 Atomic Silver...... aka ImprovedSilverDammIt.

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2014, 07:55:10 AM »
Put the bike on the center stand and do a thorough inspection. Any excessive play in front or rear? Spacers in place? Tires fully seated on the bead? All bolts in place? Out of balance will definitely cause vibration but shouldn't cause wobbling or asymmetric braking.

Sorry just read that you did put it on the center stand. If the rear tire has too much play, check the spacers are in and torque on the rear axle. Or wheel bearings. I wouldn't expect any wheel bearing problem at 5500 miles.

Offline Kirby

• I ride up front and look through the hole.
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2014, 08:16:14 AM »
You wanna' start with me? You feelin' strong? C'mon! You think you got nut problems now....!

Wow, let's settle down. Sorry Jim, I just get overwhelmed this time of year what with trying to stock up, the wife and kids not helping or even paying attention. A new cat in the neighborhood to keep and eye on and on top of all of that a little bit of a rash of KiPass bashin' and dissin'. Things will get better once the leaves turn.

Kirby

Look Kirb, don't get on my bad side.  I haven't banned anyone lately and I'm just itchin to do so.  You could make my day....just keep on...  And yeah, I'll just say it.  I don't like squirrels.  They're bad for business, eat up my vegetables, smoke cigarettes and throw the butts on the ground.  They're just bad news all around with their fuzzy tails and climbing trees and throwing nuts on you.  The more I think about it, the more I want to buy a 410. ;D :deadhorse:   Just substitute a squirrel for the horse and you should get my drift on squirrels.
Member: Dead Rodent's Riders
President: KiPass Lover's Society

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2014, 05:08:42 PM »
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Conrad

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2014, 04:36:59 AM »
You wanna' start with me? You feelin' strong? C'mon! You think you got nut problems now....!

Wow, let's settle down. Sorry Jim, I just get overwhelmed this time of year what with trying to stock up, the wife and kids not helping or even paying attention. A new cat in the neighborhood to keep and eye on and on top of all of that a little bit of a rash of KiPass bashin' and dissin'. Things will get better once the leaves turn.

Kirby

Stocking up on nuts? Geeze Kirb, in your current physical condition I'll bet one nut will last you the rest of your life, er, the rest of your days.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline copdocpvd

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2014, 09:29:10 AM »
A squirrel killed my mother.  just sayin'
"When life throws you a curve...lean into it!"

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2014, 10:31:10 AM »
Excellent job folks- a hearty congrats for another fine thread! There is only one thing left to say.....

KiPass

:rotflmao:

Brian
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 11:07:20 AM by B.D.F. »

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2014, 10:56:13 AM »
We answered the OP's question didn't we?