Author Topic: What's your octane rating  (Read 10662 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: What's your octane rating
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2011, 06:23:01 AM »
Pumping ethyl you twit...

As a sidebar..  Ethyl corporation is HQ in Richmond, VA.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline PH14

« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2011, 06:59:37 AM »
Pumping ethyl you twit...

As a sidebar..  Ethyl corporation is HQ in Richmond, VA.

Why is he a twit when it was impossible to know who you were responding to since you didn't quote him?
 ???

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2011, 07:03:05 AM »
Why is he a twit when it was impossible to know who you were responding to since you didn't quote him?
 ???

He's supposed to read my mind...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2011, 07:55:18 AM »
I regularly use 89 octane-anything higher is an exception on my part.  The bike runs fine with 13k miles on it using the 89 octane fuel over the life of the bike so far.  I have no pinging or pre-ignitition.

Fred

What he^ said.  For that matter I've run 87 in mine before with no problems.  Probably okay in the Winter.  Probably don't want to push it in the Summer.

Likewise, my Beemer (1200RT) also required 90 octane, but it had an adaptive timing system to control knocking so 87 could be run safely.  There was no difference in performance or mileage between 89 and 91 octane, but if I ran 87 the adaptive timing system would kick in and the mileage would drop until I ran a couple tanks of 89 through it.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2011, 09:12:44 AM »
He's supposed to read my mind...

I wasn't on the same wavelength as you were at the time, I only had one cup of coffee in me. 
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline mcclaskeyj

• Adventure...redefined
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2011, 09:52:51 AM »
So far I've mostly been using Regular Unleaded with occaisional Premium fillups on my second Connie. I haven't yet noticed any difference in mileage or performance. I also haven't had any noticeable engine knocking or flukes as of yet. Been on Regular for a good 6 months or so since Premium has been a sizable price difference. Is it supposed to just blow up if I'm using Regular on a consistent basis?
'83 C70 Honda Passport   '06 Honda Rebel 250
'76 Kawasaki KZ400          '79 Suzuki GS1000L
'04 Kawasaki Ninja 250     '07 C14 ABS  '09 C14 Red                            '08 CRF230L
http://www.bikepics.com/members/mcclaskeyj/

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2011, 11:50:02 AM »
I wasn't on the same wavelength as you were at the time, I only had one cup of coffee in me.

Make it a bigger cup next time..... ;)

Offline Conrad

« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2011, 12:24:25 PM »
Make it a bigger cup next time..... ;)

Roger that, good thinking.

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Bourne2Ride

« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2011, 03:52:43 PM »
I run no less then Shell 93 V-Power. I stuck CAM2 104 in her; but at $14 a gallon it was a luxury I will not repeat.
Save the Connie and Save the world!
- Heroes

Offline AirplaneTim

« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2011, 04:16:49 PM »
Generally speaking, you'll get the highest power (not necessarily the best economy) out of the lowest octane you can run without pinging or knocking. 

That being said, these engines run fairly high compression ratios, hence the owners manual recommendation to use 90 or better. 

I ran on 87 for several very cold months after first getting the bike with no issues, and now that things are warming up have moved to mid grade (typically 89 around here) and the bike's been happy as a clam as far as I can tell.  However, that is also commuting and so I almost never red line the engine.  I'm sure if I did that on a regular basis in the 100+ deg summer heat, I would have to go up to premium.

Offline Tactical_Mik

• Lamh laidir an Uachtar
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2011, 05:41:00 PM »
I run no less then Shell 93 V-Power. I stuck CAM2 104 in her; but at $14 a gallon it was a luxury I will not repeat.

Off topic:
I used to run this in Ohio in my 65 Falcon.  Loved that car, wish I didn't sell it.

BTW, I run 91 here in Kansas.  It doesn't go higher than that.  When in Arkansas or somewhere I can find real fuel(no 15% alco stuff), I always get considerably better fuel mileage.
T.S.R.

Offline CigarSki®

• Arena
  • Newb again?
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2011, 05:57:20 PM »
Mid grade 89. I figure that it's close enough. No issues.
Wayne Sikorski aka CigarSki
2010 ZG1400 - South Jersey
COG 9250

Offline koval68

« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2011, 08:49:59 PM »
I buy the highest available, 91-93.
Tom"Killer"Kowalski   COG#9263  Newmarket,Ontario
"Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need,  but not every man's greed."
- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline mkorn

« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2011, 05:30:49 AM »
i was runnin 89 ... but the last 4 tanks have been 93 and the bike does seem to run better and i am getting increase gas mileage.
so i figure the better mileage is offsetting the higher cost.
2009 C14 ABS
2002 750 Nighthawk (sold)
2006 DRz 400s

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2011, 07:29:50 AM »
Generally speaking, you'll get the highest power (not necessarily the best economy) out of the lowest octane you can run without pinging or knocking. 

That being said, these engines run fairly high compression ratios, hence the owners manual recommendation to use 90 or better. 

I ran on 87 for several very cold months after first getting the bike with no issues, and now that things are warming up have moved to mid grade (typically 89 around here) and the bike's been happy as a clam as far as I can tell.  However, that is also commuting and so I almost never red line the engine.  I'm sure if I did that on a regular basis in the 100+ deg summer heat, I would have to go up to premium.

I've experienced no issues last Summer approaching redline in 100+ heat running 89.  But the most destructive pinging will occur at lower RPMS under a heavy load - bogging the engine.  I have not had an issue with that either.

Offline ernie4110

« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2011, 03:06:38 PM »
 I use 91/93 if I plan on playing in the mountains. Normal driving and staying below 7000 rpm I use 89 octane. No issues on trips with 89 octane. Usually average 43mpg on trips staying at 79mph.

Rash
09 Conours
04 Goldwing
MSF Instructor

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2011, 06:36:25 PM »
I've experienced no issues last Summer approaching redline in 100+ heat running 89.  But the most destructive pinging will occur at lower RPMS under a heavy load - bogging the engine.  I have not had an issue with that either. 

I am not sure that all preignition is always going to be audible.  I don't think it is a good idea to run lower octane than recommended by the manufacturer.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Conrad

« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2011, 04:57:12 AM »
I am not sure that all preignition is always going to be audible.  I don't think it is a good idea to run lower octane than recommended by the manufacturer.

It's funny; guys will spend big bucks on a C14, and then spend hundreds/thousands on farkles, then want to save around a dollar/tank buying lower octane fuel than what's recommended by Kawasaki.  :o

To each their own I guess.

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2011, 08:25:29 AM »
To me it's not about saving money, the cost differential isn't even significant at current gas prices.  I actually believe running the lowest octane the engine can take without knocking is best for the engine.  Less fouling and deposits, even if it's negligeably less.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2011, 08:55:23 AM »
Premium, after an exhaustive thread on this same topic I decided the pennies saved just wasnt worth the potential risk.  Kinda like insurance or ATGATT, when it's too late, it's too late.  Oh, what the heck, I think I will start changing my oil on a schedule, say every 2 years/40,000 miles.  And I wont change my tires until they pop.