Author Topic: Rear brake stuck on  (Read 5647 times)

Offline jsd

Rear brake stuck on
« on: June 09, 2011, 05:10:40 PM »
So I'm riding to work 75 on the interstate and all the sudden it feels like somebody pulled 2 plug wires. As I am pulling into the brake down lane I notice my rear brake lever is stuck down. Upon yanking it up I hear what sounds like grinding stones, by the time I got to work whatever was in there worked its way out. I have a 09 that I was told had the recall done already. I was wondering exactly what the recall was and what I should look for?

Offline CrashGordon

Re: Rear brake stuck on
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 05:18:32 PM »
The recall was for this very problem--small rocks or road debris could get lodged and jam the rear brake. I would investigate further as to whether your recall was really done. Any dealer should be able to tell from your vin # whether it was done on your bike.

Bob

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 05:20:54 PM »
Look behind the recall protective shield and see if you have a rock being held in by the rock shield (meant to keep them out). It has already happened, so I'm not kidding.
 Did you adjust your rear brake or add peg lowers? This has also been a past problem with the rear brake staying on.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 05:31:14 PM »
What year bike and was the brake recall shield done on it....?

Put your VIN into here and see if it's been done...

http://www.kawasaki.com/DefaultFrame.aspx?strContentURL=/SITE/VIVEHICLEINFORMATION/VICHOOSEVEHICLE.ASP

If it has been done then file a complaint here......

http://www.nhtsa.gov/

I'm getting really tired of Kawasaki 'fixing' things that don't stay fixed  >:(
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Bob

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 05:52:26 PM »
"I'm getting really tired of Kawasaki 'fixing' things that don't stay fixed"

It's not worth it Jim. Look what it did to me!  :yikes:

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2011, 05:56:33 PM »
"I'm getting really tired of Kawasaki 'fixing' things that don't stay fixed"

It's not worth it Jim. Look what it did to me!  :yikes:

I know, but you're still ok with me....
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2011, 04:58:34 AM »
I know, but you're still ok with me....

;D
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline jonathan

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2011, 10:19:36 AM »
The recall was to install a metal shield over the brake return spring to prevent pebbles from jamming the mechanism. To me it looked like it would make things worse, so I never had it done.

Offline jaclaw

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2011, 11:06:22 AM »
Is it a Recall or just a Service Bulletin.  Mine ('08) on the website says there are no recalls for the bike but I see nothing I would recognize as a shield.   

Bob

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2011, 04:18:46 PM »
Is it a Recall or just a Service Bulletin.  Mine ('08) on the website says there are no recalls for the bike but I see nothing I would recognize as a shield.   

A recall!

Offline jsd

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2011, 06:14:55 AM »
I don't see any protective shield? There is a plastic sleeve that covers part of the return spring. When I got home and removed the peg mount to get a good look there was nothing in there, I must have knocked it out pulling on the brake lever to get it to release. I have 8,000 miles on it, original pegs for now. Perhaps a hugger would limit the stone tossing.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2011, 06:30:54 AM »
You should get a dealer to inspect it.  If this bike was not purchased new the previous owner may have removed it.  Even if it is there you can still get gravel in it.  I don't think a hugger will help alleviate that condition at all.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2011, 07:58:47 AM »
You should get a dealer to inspect it.  If this bike was not purchased new the previous owner may have removed it.  Even if it is there you can still get gravel in it.  I don't think a hugger will help alleviate that condition at all.

I don't think that a hugger would help neither, but it cain't hurt nun. Plus they look cool.    8)

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2011, 08:11:25 AM »
I know what Huggies are. What the heck is a "hugger"? Is she good looking? Are the hugs free? ;D

Offline Conrad

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2011, 08:17:47 AM »
I know what Huggies are. What the heck is a "hugger"? Is she good looking? Are the hugs free? ;D

Free? Nope! Good looking? Yep.

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2011, 09:59:49 AM »
That's clean looking! Might have to give one a try.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2011, 01:10:25 PM »
That's clean looking! Might have to give one a try.

Check with David, http://www.streetfightersbydesign.com/

You may have to call him, he might have some in stock and give you a deal on one.