Author Topic: Just got my 2013 C14  (Read 14573 times)

Offline Warbird

Re: Just got my 2013 C14
« Reply #60 on: November 21, 2013, 10:04:49 PM »
Not nerdy at all..... :) Adding good low speed skills takes time and practice. Clutch modulation, clutch modulation, clutch modulation...... ;D
I'd Rather Be Roadracing.

Offline Warbird

« Reply #61 on: November 21, 2013, 10:12:59 PM »

Offline Warbird

« Reply #62 on: November 21, 2013, 10:17:39 PM »

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #63 on: November 21, 2013, 10:26:27 PM »
Just about any oil will work and keep the engine healthy if its changed often enough. For me this is my daily hobby. If I get to wrench on something and change the oil every 2000 then its just bonus fun time.

This week I have really been working on getting my shifting where I want it to be. After adjusting the shift lever down I stopped missing the upshift to 2nd. However, I have missed 3 to 4 a few times and its due to wimpy shifts. I think the lightness in the transmission of my previous bike (versys) got me into some bad habits.

I have set aside some of my wife-less time I would normally go riding on the weekend to do some parking lot drills to get my skills back up to where they were on the versys:

----------------------------------------------------
Mindfulness of every shift up and down with a light pre-load, fast snap and quick throttle/clutch. (been doing this day one, broke my habits of shifting at 2500, now closer to 3500-4000 and its much smoother)

Ordered some cones to use in practicing MSF skills (SLOW SPEED DRILLS) since I lost most of my slow speed skills: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000RY6DCS/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2I01FNSVQ74N9

Lock to Lock turns...see above

I would practice getting more weight inside the turns but I cannot achieve a good foot position on the bike due to the passenger peg mounts catching my heel. My size 50 EU Alpinestar boots just don't let me into a position to properly weight the peg with the ball of my foot. However I can still pull a 1 cheek sneak and lean off to keep from leaning the bike to far.

Graceful stopping and takeoff (getting there now that the weight has disappeared)
----------------------------------------------------

Sounds nerdy but I really enjoy going out on a Sunday and going to my favorite secret abandoned/unsold spot and doing slow speed shiz. Everyone can go fast in a straight line, but I like to pride myself on pulling into gas stations and making nice tight turns and never putting a foot down until i'm at the pump. In traffic I always see guys walking bikes or leaving their feet down at 15mph and that is goofy.

I wouldn't attempt any low speed turns on the stock Crapstones. Bad juju, trust me on this one. I did learn I could hold up a 700 lb. bike for about 30 seconds, though.

Offline Warbird

« Reply #64 on: November 21, 2013, 10:28:33 PM »
"I wouldn't attempt any low speed turns on the stock Crapstones. Bad juju, trust me on this one. I did learn I could hold up a 700 lb. bike for about 30 seconds, though."

:finger_fing11:

Offline Warbird

« Reply #65 on: November 27, 2013, 02:13:10 PM »
Hey Phil,

How is the new bike coming along? Been riding these past few days?   :)

Offline phildobaggins

• Fuelly
« Reply #66 on: November 27, 2013, 09:06:17 PM »
Yessir. I daily ride and commute on the beast. So far I have 1500 miles in 1 month of ownership, not to bad. I have been a hooligan this week attempting clutch wheelies which I find it just spins the rear so I gave up on that. Its been 30's here in Austin in the morning and 40's in the day so I've only gone pleasure riding a few times a week as opposed to 6 hours on sat and 6 hours on sun. Bike is good and I can attest at this point it is built to take a beatin. Now that I gave up on wheelies i'll focus back on shifting/slow speed maneuvers etc... :)