Author Topic: Hi All- Idiot Here. FJR vs Concours??  (Read 21664 times)

Offline Flienlow

• 2010 C-14 BLUE
Hi All- Idiot Here. FJR vs Concours??
« on: April 07, 2013, 03:20:23 PM »
I am sure this subject has been killed to death, but if anyone cares to humor me........

I just got back from the BMW shop. OMG, the K1600GT is beautiful! OMG it is mother humping expensive! :( 
It's a no can do for me. Not even with their ass raping easy pay option can I make $450/month (plus huge balloon payment) sound reasonable for a weekend toy. Yeah sure, if it was my primary cage, and it went to Costco, sure. But not for a toy. -that's my situation.

In the past I have had an 05 FJR, and 2 bmw RT's.  My last ride on the RT was an 800 mile day, and I could have gone full Iron Butt. If the RT didn't have such a bore of an engine, I might be looking for another.
Lately I have been looking at the Concours, and FJR. The FJR still has a 5 speed and I don't care what anyone says, I think it needs a 6th. I also find the seat to be harder than Chinese calculus. But damn it! It looks nice, and they put Cruise Control on it!!

I know I can go to murphs kits and bo-jack an audiovox on the Concours. I do worry that if I buy a new one, they will refresh it in the next year or so with Cruise control thus lowering the value of a late model preowned. But if I take the Cruise control out of the equation, how competent is this bike?

I have not been on one, and got jacked around at a dealership, so I left without being able to ride it. can you do an 800 mile day on this bike? and what considerations should I take over the purchase of an FJR (which I admit is not a perfect bike for me, but very good.)

If anyone would care to share, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Offline ZG

• Arena
Re: Hi All- Idiot Here. FJR vs Concours??
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 03:41:27 PM »

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 03:44:51 PM »
 :popcorn:   You should get the Concours 1400.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline jamiemac

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 03:46:12 PM »
Since You have already owned an FJR, You know they are great bikes. I wouldn't let a good deal on either bike get by. Some folks have been griping that the cruise on the new FJR is speed limited at 80 mph. My buds FJR is real nice. I personally am a horsepower junkie, and My 08 Connie with the flies removed and  Power Commander 5 fits the bill for Me. You might also take into consideration that the linked brakes on the newer Connies' brings the suck, according to some owners. The 08, and 09 doesn't have that issue, so finding a lightly used first gen C14 might be the way to go.
2008 C14, Area-P carbon fiber, PCV, Rostra Cruise, LAAM leather seat, Optilux 1500 & MondoMoto MM10 lights, Cee Bailey windshield, BMC air filter, Warm & Safe dual dash mounted heat troller.

Offline u92

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2013, 03:49:16 PM »
I've never ridden the FJR so I won't try to compare but if price is a concern you can probably find a left over 2012 C14 for $13k before taxes and fees right now if you are in the US. I don't think there were any updates to the 2013 model for this year. The FJR being new I doubt dealers are going to deal much on the price.
2009 C14

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2013, 03:49:44 PM »
If you ask where to paypal the 5 bucks, buy the FJR.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2013, 04:03:20 PM »
 :rotflmao:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2013, 04:15:36 PM »
800 miles in a day? An Earth day? Sounds like too much to me- I have heard of people doing near 100 miles in a single day but I don't know about 8 hunderd all in a row.

Brian

<snip>

I have not been on one, and got jacked around at a dealership, so I left without being able to ride it. can you do an 800 mile day on this bike? and what considerations should I take over the purchase of an FJR (which I admit is not a perfect bike for me, but very good.)

<snip>
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline booger

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2013, 04:56:21 PM »
I've never owned a FJR, but have a couple of riding buddies that love theirs.

But I've never been a Yamaha fan.  And the Concours sure is nice.

I'd buy one of each.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2013, 05:05:45 PM »
Why, that's crazy talk right there!  Why clutter up your garage with an FJR or a BMW for that matter?

800 miles in a day? An Earth day? Sounds like too much to me- I have heard of people doing near 100 miles in a single day but I don't know about 8 hunderd all in a row.

Brian

Why, that's crazy talk right there....again.  800 miles in a day?  My God, I've only done 750, possibly 789, but NEVER NEVER have I done 800.  Why that's right up there with putting a man on the moon for goodness sakes!  What next, someone paints their black bike Kawi green!  I'm just about ready to faint right now I tell you... :censored:

Offline Cuda

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2013, 05:10:48 PM »
CUT him off , time to take nap.
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2013, 05:10:56 PM »
Before the "redo" of the FJR this year, it was no contest- Concours hands down in most every possible way.  Yamaha has something more worthy now, although the bike is mostly unchanged.

But really, about the only things the FJR has over the Concours is cruise control, a little lighter, and a little larger fuel tank (10%).  The Concours has a much better warranty, a proper 6 speed transmission, variable valve timing, an analog speedometer (I HATE digial speedometers and tachometers), better MPG (which is perplexing), better performance (especially if you flash the sucker), and essentially the same street price.   Plus it looks better (if you ask me).

In the fuzzy category: Electronic throttle might or might not be a good thing.  Some could argue the FJR's linked brakes lack the abruptness of the C14's, but others could argue that the C14's shaft drive is superior.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline okxd45

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2013, 05:32:49 PM »

Brian

...says the CC50 guy with the amazing fuel reserve mod... ;)
Jeff
"Look like the innocent flower, but be the serpent under 't." Macbeth Quote (Act I, Scene V).
"I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves." (Matthew 10:16 NIV)

Offline givey65

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2013, 05:46:31 PM »
 I just bought a 12 leftover at Sport Cycles of Rockingham for $11998 + $25 for a temp reg to drive it home. You just can't beat that for a bike like this.   :) :)

Offline Gsun

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2013, 05:50:01 PM »
Don't know about the FJR, but the Connie has about 3,468 different farkles to make it your own bike and the right ergos for you. Mine only took about 40.

Offline jamiemac

« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2013, 05:50:38 PM »
I just bought a 12 leftover at Sport Cycles of Rockingham for $11998 + $25 for a temp reg to drive it home. You just can't beat that for a bike like this.   :) :)
A 12 what?
2008 C14, Area-P carbon fiber, PCV, Rostra Cruise, LAAM leather seat, Optilux 1500 & MondoMoto MM10 lights, Cee Bailey windshield, BMC air filter, Warm & Safe dual dash mounted heat troller.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2013, 05:52:56 PM »
The new FJR is really nice, allot of video reviews on youtube have it favored as the best overall choice now. One of the biggest gripes on the C14 was indeed the linked brakes system, and the lack of cruise control.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2013, 05:59:41 PM »
Don't know about the FJR, but the Connie has about 3,468 different farkles to make it your own bike and the right ergos for you. Mine only took about 40.

Slacker!

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2013, 06:04:22 PM »
Why, that's crazy talk right there!  Why clutter up your garage with an FJR or a BMW for that matter?

Why, that's crazy talk right there....again.  800 miles in a day?  My God, I've only done 750, possibly 789, but NEVER NEVER have I done 800.  Why that's right up there with putting a man on the moon for goodness sakes!  What next, someone paints their black bike Kawi green!  I'm just about ready to faint right now I tell you... :censored:

:rotflmao:   ;D   :cool:

Offline clogan

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2013, 06:15:33 PM »
Either bike is a winner...I bought th Connie.
Regardless of the bike, the ONLY way I'm doing 800 miles in a day is on a 747!!!!
2010 Neptune blue C14
2009 blue KLR
2013 DRZ400