Author Topic: Linked Brake Fix? Follow up  (Read 44831 times)

Offline Makz58

Re: Linked Brake Fix?
« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2013, 05:44:45 PM »
Sticking my neck out here but I don't mind the linked brakes at all non-issue for me....been riding various bikes for almost forty years. Also love the ABS especially when you only have a split second to react.
When arguing with an idiot make sure he isn't.
C-14 2010

Offline Cuda

« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2013, 08:40:17 PM »
I've been riding street bikes since 1970, I've rode such JUNK compaired to this bike  ::)I've heard about the junk tires, I put 7,300 miles on those junk  tires, I bought P3 's when I was at 3,000 because of all the stories ,  but found no good reason to change .
I love power and taking corners fast and low, my front tire was bald on the sides not in the center.
I live in south Fl. where the roads are wet  from sprinklers hitting the street , Ficus trees dropping their berries twice a year ( like hitting a ice patch) rain at anytime in the summer, day or night because of tropical weather, and I could not  be happier ,  unless  it was a 400 something lb bike, I guess you can't have it all, My last bike was a V max , lots of power but rough , nothing like the ZG 1400.
I love the gismos , windshield , ABS , Traction control , Tire sensors (except on cold days, need to fix that ) lights are great , no HIDs for me , I've added Hyper lights front and rear stop and turn and those brakes WORK just fine!
I did not renew my motorcycle lic for years  because my wife begged me not to ride anymore , she knows I can't control my self If I have power at my disposal...(thats why I got a old mans Touring bike ;))  so they passed a law in Fl that you HAD to take a Riders course to get a MC lic like you never had one before,  well I took the class  with my friend (Mr Wheelie/ Endo)  he moved out of state for two years to play LEO and had to take it also, I stopped the bike shorter , than they ever saw it done, a little Buell  ( smoken tires) They also gave me the super hero of the swerve  award , yeah kind of a joke , but I like putting it down in corners.
I have a friend who races and teaches road course and he said he NEVER uses the rear brake??
Yeah I know ours is always in use somewhat but I'm not going to lay it it a corner at 120mph like he does. Remove ABS , not on my bike.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 05:22:17 AM by Cuda »
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2013, 09:26:44 PM »
Maybe I need to do a Vulcan mind meld with Steve, but there's a lot of people complaining and and only one person saying "Yay!"

Maybe Steve is just way more awesome than me. Dunno. All I know is that I hate them and I think it's a high tech solution that had no problem to begin with.  I trail brake with the front only. Also, when sport riding I only use the front. No can do with this bike.

I'm not saying I like them or am a big huge fan of linked brakes.  What I'm saying is I railed the rockies and would do a track day with them.  I DO NOT care.  I DO NOT whine.  The weight of the bike slows me down more than those brakes, and again I don't give a $#%^.

You know whats worse?  Go around Road Atlanta International and drag your knee WITH A PASSENGER.  You'll forget about the little C14 brake bump that I'm seeing so much bitter, grumpy posts about.

But having a little blonde chick %$#^ up the lap times isn;t anything to be bitter about either, and a knee puck scraping a little slower is still fun.

I'm not saying "yay" to the brakes, I'm just not onboard with the crowd that says this bike can't be ridden fast or safely or whatever it is you all are griping about for 3 pages  ;D

Now THIS will slow you up:

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2013, 04:00:59 AM »
 :popcorn:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline eng943

« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2013, 07:02:39 AM »
- your description of your front brake use indicates a problem somewhere.

- C14 owners don't seem to have any complaints about the brake when they use the front brake lever (which actuates both front calipers and rear together) ,

- but opinions vary on the use of the rear brake pedal (which initially actuates the rear caliper and then with more pressure , the right front caliper together).

- if you use both the brake lever + pedal at the same time , you will feel a flutter at the lever/pedal as the linking systems goes a bit bananas.

- imho , whatever it is , maybe unlearn using the brake pedal and learn to use the front lever for braking.

I would echo the above. The linked brakes have a hair trigger upon application of the rear brake. Go past a certain point, and the system dials in a very abrupt proportion of front brake. This observation has been documented in test reports, and by members on this forum.

Using the front brake only has helped my experience with the C14 brakes. Nevertheless, Kawsaki did a poor job with the linked brakes, and needs to go back to the drawing board.       
2017 C14 - AST Risers / Peg Lowering kit / mccruise /Garmin 595/Shoodaben MR / Area P / Kawi Touring Seat.
Second Bike 2017 BMW R12R

Offline PlaynInPeoria

« Reply #45 on: March 29, 2013, 08:22:23 AM »
I also like to use the rear only to tighten my line a bit sometimes.  Can't do that either.  Love everything about the bike but the brakes.
2012 "root beer" C14 - unlinked brakes, reflash, LED headlights, Walmart orange city lights, LOUD horn, Laam seat, radar detector for ahem, reasons.
2013 Aprilia Tuono, 2009 CRF-150F

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #46 on: March 29, 2013, 08:41:31 AM »
TIP:  Honda linked brakes work fantastic 

Don't ask me how i know this  :D

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #47 on: March 29, 2013, 02:55:06 PM »
But... what's the point of linked brakes anyway? Why even put them on the bike? One reason I hate them is in tight maneuvers at parking lot speeds, you can use a little rear brake when at full lock, but if you hit the front brake at full lock at very low speeds, it can cause problems. I just don't see the need for linked brakes, except for those who do not brake properly in the first place.

See post #26....... ::)
The Pope
2011 C-14 Atomic Silver...... aka ImprovedSilverDammIt.

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.

Offline fsr402

« Reply #48 on: March 29, 2013, 03:31:38 PM »
I have never understood why the linked brakes. If I want front brakes I use them, if I want rear brakes I use them, if I want both I use BOTH. I don't need nor want some stupid computer making those choices for me.
Besides after 15+ years of racing I rarely use the rear brakes.
Can you get a 2012 or newer without the linked brakes? If not I'll be keeping the '08.

Offline u92

« Reply #49 on: March 29, 2013, 03:44:24 PM »
I have never understood why the linked brakes. If I want front brakes I use them, if I want rear brakes I use them, if I want both I use BOTH. I don't need nor want some stupid computer making those choices for me.
Besides after 15+ years of racing I rarely use the rear brakes.
Can you get a 2012 or newer without the linked brakes? If not I'll be keeping the '08.

Hopefully they add a linked and unlinked mode in the future but I could imagine linked might be good for someone that had difficulty using one brake or the other due to a physical restriction.
2009 C14

Offline u92

« Reply #50 on: March 29, 2013, 03:45:36 PM »
TIP:  Honda linked brakes work fantastic 

Don't ask me how i know this  :D

Steve, looks like a bit of karma landed on your front fender...too bad it missed the jacket. :)
2009 C14

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #51 on: March 29, 2013, 03:57:11 PM »
Hopefully they add a linked and unlinked mode in the future but I could imagine linked might be good for someone that had difficulty using one brake or the other due to a physical restriction.

Or perhaps a mental one.  My original thought was it was some type of stupid move to compensate for the occasional idiot that thinks the primary brake is the rear brake and this helps to mitigate that.

If that is not it, I honestly don't understand the purpose.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #52 on: March 29, 2013, 03:57:50 PM »
Can you get a 2012 2011 or newer without the linked brakes?

No
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline fsr402

« Reply #53 on: March 29, 2013, 04:08:39 PM »

If that is not it, I honestly don't understand the purpose.

Thank god I'm not the only one.

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #54 on: March 29, 2013, 04:31:59 PM »
I have always hated the linked brakes at all speeds. Even at 5mph in traffic. That was always where it affected me the most.
My 2008 non abs. had the best brakes I've ever had. I would have liked the abs. I had that bike 44,000 miles.
My 2010 abs linked has a horrible slow speed nose dive to it. I have never been happy with them, but love all the other things about the C-14. Which led me to another.
My 2011 abs linked has about the same feel as the 2010, but not sure how close yet. I just put the first gas in it this week. I'll know soon.
I'll have to take some time and read through the fixes of this. Sounds very interesting.
P.S. Maybe Steve doesn't realize it has brakes. lol. You are the lucky one if you can't feel it.
Joel from Maine.

Offline RickC14

« Reply #55 on: March 31, 2013, 10:09:11 AM »
They probably got tired of replacing warped front rotors and figured spreading the workload would help. :D

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #56 on: March 31, 2013, 10:18:08 AM »
What I don't understand is why they backed off their original engineering design on the linked brake concept.....

http://www.kawasaki.com/Content/pdfs/products/concours_QandA.pdf

Page 5

Maybe they decided the 10+ bikes weren't as exciting as the 08/09 versions.....
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #57 on: March 31, 2013, 10:32:26 AM »
I still had to replace my 2010 abs rotors due to warping.
Joel from Maine.

Offline Cuda

« Reply #58 on: March 31, 2013, 11:38:13 AM »
Thanks Jim that was interesting ;)
 I LOVE my big Girl .
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline u92

« Reply #59 on: March 31, 2013, 03:17:10 PM »
I came across this 2013 review. If you skip to about 3:28 of the video you can here some of the thoughts from one of the reviewers about the C14 linked brakes. This does'nt help fix the problem for you guys but at least it confirms the issue must be relatively common. Hopefully Kawasaki is listening.

2013 Sport-Touring Shootout 1.0
2009 C14