Author Topic: Lets see your bike at a mountain pass or summit  (Read 61280 times)

Offline Rhino

• Arena
Re: Lets see your bike at a mountain pass or summit
« Reply #200 on: April 11, 2016, 01:21:14 PM »
The HIGHEST point.....in the Florida panhandle...

all 312 feet of it!!   ;D

Did you have to use oxygen?  ;D

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #201 on: April 11, 2016, 01:23:14 PM »

Nice shot! This might be the first moving shot on this thread. Where is it?

Offline banditrider

• Two wheels are all you need!
    • Off for a ride
« Reply #202 on: April 12, 2016, 02:24:02 AM »
Nice shot! This might be the first moving shot on this thread. Where is it?

Thanks!  It's in the Lindis Pass.  A mate got setup to take the picture early one morning on one of my first trips away on the Connie.  I didn't even have my topbox fitted yet.  Eight years and 136,000km later the old girl still loves to get into the hills...

'08 Concours 14: Rad guard, Stebel, Oxford Hot grips, Projekt D Screen, Hugger, GPS mount, helmet locks & fender extender, Zumo 550, Stebel, Phil's rack & Givi V46, Sheepskin seat cover, Phillips Extreme vision +100 bulbs.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #203 on: April 12, 2016, 06:52:04 AM »
Thanks!  It's in the Lindis Pass.  A mate got setup to take the picture early one morning on one of my first trips away on the Connie.  I didn't even have my topbox fitted yet.  Eight years and 136,000km later the old girl still loves to get into the hills...

Sweet! I hope to some day get down to that part of the world. I've got a buddy that goes to the Omaka airshow http://www.classicfighters.co.nz a lot. I want to join him then tour the country on 2 wheels. I'll be riding a lot of passes in New Mexico and Colorado this summer, I'll have to get one of my brothers to setup so I can get a shot like you did.

Offline banditrider

• Off for a ride
« Reply #204 on: April 12, 2016, 01:18:15 PM »
Sweet! I hope to some day get down to that part of the world. I've got a buddy that goes to the Omaka airshow http://www.classicfighters.co.nz a lot. I want to join him then tour the country on 2 wheels. I'll be riding a lot of passes in New Mexico and Colorado this summer, I'll have to get one of my brothers to setup so I can get a shot like you did.

Been to the Omaka airshow myself.  I neat event and the museum there is fantastic.  Come on over...
'08 Concours 14: Rad guard, Stebel, Oxford Hot grips, Projekt D Screen, Hugger, GPS mount, helmet locks & fender extender, Zumo 550, Stebel, Phil's rack & Givi V46, Sheepskin seat cover, Phillips Extreme vision +100 bulbs.

AlbertaDoug

« Reply #205 on: April 12, 2016, 02:47:53 PM »

Nice pic. Two of my favourite sport touring bikes in that shot 8) 8) :chugbeer:

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #206 on: April 12, 2016, 03:39:27 PM »

We visited our friends over there in Oxford in Sept '14 ... first time in NZ ... and loved it. No time to ride on that trip, but would love to go back and do a riding trip. Not C14's, but we saw these 2 riders ... Ducati Monster and MV Augusta (Brutale 1078RR, I think) ... here at Arthur's Pass (on our way toward Greymouth):

... and then again crossing the Otira viaduct while we watched them from the overlook:

Offline BigEdPVD

« Reply #207 on: April 12, 2016, 04:06:27 PM »
Did you have to use oxygen?  ;D

I will have some better pics with a bunch more elevation in May!  First trip to the Smoky Mountains since I was a kid.
"You've seen it, you've HEARD it, and you're still asking questions?!?"
"Yeah, when do we go for a RIDE!?!?"

Offline banditrider

• Off for a ride
« Reply #208 on: April 13, 2016, 01:16:49 PM »
We visited our friends over there in Oxford in Sept '14 ... first time in NZ ... and loved it. No time to ride on that trip, but would love to go back and do a riding trip. Not C14's, but we saw these 2 riders ... Ducati Monster and MV Augusta (Brutale 1078RR, I think) ... here at Arthur's Pass (on our way toward Greymouth):

Sorry you were in a car ;)  Arthurs Pass is a great ride.  I did it again in the pouring rain a couple of months ago and it was still fantastic!  Just don't let the keas eat your bike...

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #209 on: April 13, 2016, 03:19:00 PM »
Sorry you were in a car ;)  Arthurs Pass is a great ride.  I did it again in the pouring rain a couple of months ago and it was still fantastic!  Just don't let the keas eat your bike...

Oh! They wouldn't do that!

OK, here's one that was peckin' the heck out of this aluminum railing; he seemed convinced it was edible:

... and a different one at Arthur's Pass, making himself right at home:

Seems the kea is taking the place of the kiwi  :-\

Offline banditrider

• Off for a ride
« Reply #210 on: April 13, 2016, 11:44:43 PM »
Oh! They wouldn't do that!

OK, here's one that was peckin' the heck out of this aluminum railing; he seemed convinced it was edible:

Oh they would alright!  I stopped at that cafe when I went through last (I was starving), saw the keas hanging around and decided to keep on going.  Years and years ago my Dad had a bike seat eaten...They destroy vehicles quite regularly...

This guy liked Farmbake fruit & oat cookies...

Offline robertv

• 2008 C14 Silver
« Reply #211 on: April 18, 2016, 03:27:14 PM »
Not that I'm complaining on the early summer like weather in the Seattle area, but made it up the North Cascades highway to Diablo lake. Going to see if I can get to St Helens while that big shiny thing in the sky lasts soon.

Offline Donnbauer

« Reply #212 on: April 18, 2016, 11:59:35 PM »
Top of the Crystal Mountain Road

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #213 on: April 19, 2016, 06:10:04 AM »
Top of the Crystal Mountain Road

Also a nice pic. My nephew skis there a lot.

Offline Hooligan

• never assume, get the facts
« Reply #214 on: April 21, 2016, 07:38:58 AM »
This was taken in Franchehoek (Direct translation = French Corner) in the Western Cape, South Africa in December 2015, when a Mate and I hooked up with some mates in Cape Town,  RSA. It was about 470Miles from where I live.

Will be doing the trip again next week, and will try and post a new pic of the Connie on anther pass in the area.
It is what it is....If not, it must be something else.
2012 K1600GT
2009 ZX14

Offline iamlegend2012

« Reply #215 on: May 14, 2016, 12:33:21 AM »
Whiteface Mountain Lake Placid N.Y.

What kind of windshield is that?  Looks like it gives you a lot of wind protection.

Offline Charlie747

Re: Lets see your bike at a mountain pass
« Reply #216 on: May 14, 2016, 04:10:08 AM »
Good idea Rhino!    :thumbs:

I agree 100%

I though you needed oxygen or pressurised cabin @ 12000ft Rhino ?

Offline Rhino

• Arena
Re: Lets see your bike at a mountain pass
« Reply #217 on: May 16, 2016, 07:42:36 AM »
I agree 100%

I though you needed oxygen or pressurised cabin @ 12000ft Rhino ?

I cannot confirm or deny that on a VERY cold day, I've had my 7AC above 15,000' over the top of Pikes Peak without O2.

Offline PlaynInPeoria

« Reply #218 on: May 16, 2016, 10:25:54 AM »
What's a 7AC?

And I thought Pike's Peak is about 14.2k?   Did you go a different way?   I'm not sure I would wanna do 15k, 14.2k was cold and windy enough and the bike ran pretty poorly. 
2012 "root beer" C14 - unlinked brakes, reflash, LED headlights, Walmart orange city lights, LOUD horn, Laam seat, radar detector for ahem, reasons.
2013 Aprilia Tuono, 2009 CRF-150F

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #219 on: May 16, 2016, 01:19:07 PM »
What's a 7AC?

And I thought Pike's Peak is about 14.2k?   Did you go a different way?   I'm not sure I would wanna do 15k, 14.2k was cold and windy enough and the bike ran pretty poorly.

Aeronca 7AC Champion, and yes, Pikes Peak is about 14,200' and in this particular case I did go a different way ;)

(internet pic, not my actual airplane)