Author Topic: TPS  (Read 7165 times)

Offline wingrider

TPS
« on: March 10, 2013, 09:16:09 PM »
Is it possible to completely eliminate the factory tire pressure monitoring system on an 09. I have an aftermarket system from my wing that is a lot nicer than seeing  a low battery warning anytime the temps drop below 50.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
Re: TPS
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 09:27:29 PM »
Solder in new batteries,  have dealer replace the sensors, let the batteries go dead and say the heck with them, or pull out the sensors and install regular old valve stems. The system will just display 2 simple lines where the pressures should be, no warnings or red lights to worry about.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline koval68

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 09:31:02 PM »
Anything is possible my friend, but ECU will have to be modified. Sounds like a job for Don from Guhl Motors! Maybe you can kill two birds at once, get your ECU re-flashed and that annoying TPS warning removed!
http://www.guhlmotors.com/Index.html
Tom"Killer"Kowalski   COG#9263  Newmarket,Ontario
"Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need,  but not every man's greed."
- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Conrad

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 08:51:08 AM »
My understanding is if the batteries go totally dead then you will not see the warning any longer.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 10:25:39 AM »
I felt the same way until I got a flat on the C14. The system warned me way before I felt it.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 10:40:58 AM »
My understanding is if the batteries go totally dead then you will not see the warning any longer.

That is correct.  :)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 11:16:50 AM »
DESTROY the batteries, as they are evil  ;D

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Jim M.

• 2008 C-14
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2013, 12:08:08 PM »
I was thinking of getting rid of them on my '08 until this morning. On the way to work, I notice the red indicator. Yep, a low rear pressure warning. Looks like I picked up a nail. I was traveling in a straight line and didn't realize any difference in handling til the warning came up- there was only 23 lbs in there!  :o

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2013, 12:10:05 PM »
I was thinking of getting rid of them on my '08 until this morning. On the way to work, I notice the red indicator. Yep, a low rear pressure warning. Looks like I picked up a nail. I was traveling in a straight line and didn't realize any difference in handling til the warning came up- there was only 23 lbs in there!  :o

+1 Same thing happened to me.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2013, 04:37:21 PM »

Yet we have all been getting along just fine without them, since the introduction of motorcycles.  ;)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2013, 05:12:14 PM »

Yet we have all been getting along just fine without them, since the introduction of motorcycles.  ;)

True. We have also been getting along without gas gauges, heated grips, gear indicator, clock, electric windshield and about 100 of the 155 hp. But I don't want to give up any of that either ;D

Offline pistole

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2013, 06:40:12 PM »
True. We have also been getting along without gas gauges, heated grips, gear indicator, clock, electric windshield and about 100 of the 155 hp. But I don't want to give up any of that either ;D

- amen to that !

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2013, 06:41:06 PM »

:goodpost: :chugbeer:

Offline wingrider

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2013, 08:19:21 PM »
I don't plan on going without anything. I have a Doran system from my wing I will put on the bike. I have run a TPS system for five years and like the sense of security they give.

Offline MGvaleri

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2013, 09:02:32 AM »
68 months sensors batteries to replace.

is time to change the batteries, the battery warning sensor exhaust is going on too many times.

http://youtu.be/KLs3w6gZL6I

Mgvalerio. 8)
Centauro ancora a  60 anni,..che non finisca mai!!!

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2013, 12:40:34 PM »

Rhino for president!!!  :o   ;D
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline texrider

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2013, 02:14:56 PM »
Just got around to changing the TPM sensor batteries on my '09 for the first time. Once apart, I saw no reason to solder, cut, or weld anything to do with it. I simply pried the tabs off the old battery, slipped the new one in between the tabs, then re-assembled the sensor. The case is meant to hold a battery tight, whether it has welded tabs or not. Works perfect-o, and the next battery will be a breeze.  8)
2014 Valkyrie

Offline MGvaleri

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2013, 02:23:17 PM »
Just got around to changing the TPM sensor batteries on my '09 for the first time. Once apart, I saw no reason to solder, cut, or weld anything to do with it. I simply pried the tabs off the old battery, slipped the new one in between the tabs, then re-assembled the sensor. The case is meant to hold a battery tight, whether it has welded tabs or not. Works perfect-o, and the next battery will be a breeze.  8)

You've done so much simplicity photo! Thank you.

MGvalerio. ::)
Centauro ancora a  60 anni,..che non finisca mai!!!

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2013, 08:36:13 AM »
Were the tabs soldered to the batt? You pried the tabs loose with what? I will be doing this next tire. change and wondering what is safer, a soldering iron or a pry bar.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2013, 08:45:49 AM »

Without any solder or weld it's just a matter of time before the pressed connection oxidizes and you get the low battery warning.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn