Author Topic: 2012-where is the "Mode" switch for ECO mode?  (Read 19146 times)

Flathead

Re: 2012-where is the "Mode" switch for ECO mode?
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2012, 03:56:59 PM »
Your slower, late model bikes seem complicated.
:rotflmao:

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2012, 04:09:21 PM »
Point taken, I probably phrased that wrong in regards to it being a "mode".
I can not find any documentation stating that this mode turns off when riding un-Eco-friendly  :)

You are right, it is not in the [horrible] user's manual.  In fact, the manual is very confusing and I think parts of it are even wrong.  I am not sure why I am so positive that it behaves the way I described :)  Even worse, there is not a single mention of "Eco" anything in the service manual (I just searched).

My main point was that there may be added confusion since there are two display indicators that are labeled ECO. So many buttons, so little time  ;)

Oh yes, indeed it is VERY confusing.  They should have not used the word "Eco" twice.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2012, 04:32:27 PM »

+1. 
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2012, 07:11:32 PM »

You are just jealous of our enhanced functionality :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2012, 08:01:17 PM »

+2
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2012, 08:04:36 PM »

Offline jjsC6

« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2012, 08:34:13 PM »
If you guys think the newer models are more complicated, you should try the new BMW 1600s.  But I'm not allowed to talk about that bike here....it really pisses Jim off  ;)
Jim
2010 Concours - Sold Feb 2013
Current bikes....
2011 Ninja 1000, 2013 BMW 1600 GT, 2012 Ducati Panigale

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2012, 04:15:49 AM »
 >:( ;D
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2012, 04:29:53 AM »

On the plus side, they have more time to figure those things out.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2012, 04:38:29 AM »
Actually we have more time to ride.  We don't have to worry about F1 errors or spend time in continuing education on which button does what on the C14, not that there's anything wrong with doing that, though.... :P

Offline Conrad

« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2012, 04:42:51 AM »
On the plus side, they have more time to figure those things out.

Actually we have more time to ride.  We don't have to worry about F1 errors or spend time in continuing education on which button does what on the C14, not that there's anything wrong with doing that, though.... :P

I meant that they have more time to figure those things out since their bikes are so much slower than our 1st gens.

If you have to 'splain it, it ain't funny no more. (maybe it never was?   :o )

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2012, 04:45:50 AM »
Perhaps you're right in that respect, Conrad.

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2012, 05:45:30 AM »
Of course you CAN just hop on it and ride and not concern yourself with all those buttons. 80% of people use 20% of the features that come with any new item from cameras, and cell phones, to motorcycles, and cars.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline Necron99

• Arena
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2012, 05:59:35 AM »
Speaking of the 80/20 rule, my late model isn't slower than 80%+ of your retro models...because almost nobody goes anywhere near the top end speed.  And if I do care, there's always re-flash.  :)
Do not go gentle into that good night.
-Dylan Thomas

2010 ZG1400 COG #9384

Offline Conrad

« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2012, 08:35:57 AM »
Of course you CAN just hop on it and ride and not concern yourself with all those buttons. 80% of people use 20% of the features that come with any new item from cameras, and cell phones, to motorcycles, and cars.

Speaking of the 80/20 rule, my late model isn't slower than 80%+ of your retro models...because almost nobody goes anywhere near the top end speed.  And if I do care, there's always re-flash.  :)

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2012, 09:24:21 AM »

Do I spy bra straps under that T-shirt?  :o
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline Conrad

« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2012, 09:26:48 AM »
Do I spy bra straps under that T-shirt?  :o

Perhaps you're looking too closely? He doesn't seem the type to have moobs. 

Offline Skinny

« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2012, 10:14:15 AM »
The automatic indicator is not an Eco "mode", it is just displaying information to the rider saying that you are operating the bike (driving)  in a Eco-friendly manner.  When the Eco indicator is on, it is not changing anything.  It does nothing else.  It cannot be turned on or off.  It is just informational, like your fuel gauge.

When "Eco Mode" is turned on (manually) AND displayed, it means the ECU is, indeed, leaning out the mixture to maximize fuel efficiency.  If you drive in an un-Eco-friendly fashion (turn the throttle too fast, or raise the RPM too high) it will temporarily disable Eco Mode until conditions return to being Eco-friendly :)

Thanks for the tutorial, I read the manual part about ECO mode but it wasn't explained in plain english like you just did.  Now I know.

This could have helped me make my 205 mile loop the other day without stopping (chickening out) for gas.
'12 C14, Aeroflow, AST risers, rad gaurd, Seth Laam Seat

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2012, 02:56:03 PM »
Thanks for the tutorial, I read the manual part about ECO mode but it wasn't explained in plain english like you just did.  Now I know.

We had a thread going a long time ago about just how horrible the English is in the user's manual.  It is appalling.   And I am not just talking misspellings or bad tenses, but wording that completely destroys the meaning behind what they are trying to say.  I was shocked how bad it was, because normally Japanese manuals are very good (it is the Chinese/etc manuals are are notoriously bad).  Incidentally, the *SERVICE* manual does not have this problem.

Meanwhile:  http://www.engrish.com/

Offline Conrad

« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2012, 03:05:00 PM »
We had a thread going a long time ago about just how horrible the English is in the user's manual.  It is appalling.   And I am not just talking misspellings or bad tenses, but wording that completely destroys the meaning behind what they are trying to say.  I was shocked how bad it was, because normally Japanese manuals are very good (it is the Chinese/etc manuals are are notoriously bad).  Incidentally, the *SERVICE* manual does not have this problem.

Meanwhile:  http://www.engrish.com/

Knowing how you 'are' Max, that manual must have drove you to distraction!    :o