Author Topic: DO NOT GO TO HINSHAW'S MOTORCYCLE STORE IN AUBURN, WA  (Read 22084 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: DO NOT GO TO HINSHAW'S MOTORCYCLE STORE IN AUBURN, WA
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2012, 03:33:24 PM »

:hail: :hail: :thumbs: :thumbs: :grouphug:it seems I have found ANOTHER good dealership with regards to thier service ethics....I'll report back after the install...... ;) :popcorn: :popcorn:

Ohio Motorcycle, Oakwood Ohio
www.ohiomotorcycle.com

Only after you 'explained' the situation to them, Rich.  They didn't sound good until after that.  In fact, they sounded more the norm.  Let us know how it goes.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline RBX QB

« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2012, 03:42:51 PM »
Only after you 'explained' the situation to them, Rich.  They didn't sound good until after that.  In fact, they sounded more the norm.  Let us know how it goes.

+1. It seems that we need to be "informed consumers" in order to get the basic fair services we expect. At least, it seems to be that way more and more. The customer isn't as right as they once were.
2011 Concours 14 ABS
2̶0̶0̶6̶ ̶D̶u̶c̶a̶t̶i̶ ̶M̶o̶n̶s̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶S̶2̶R̶D̶  SOLD

Offline NDCUNIONGUY

« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2012, 04:12:58 AM »
Everyone,

It seems that my original point and your responses have diverged somewhat. 

I do believe in being an informed and strident consumer, but I also accept some personal (read financial) responsibility for my choices.  A few hundred dollars for a consumable (batteries) part that lasted four years is not going be the basis for my choosing one dealer, or manufacturer over another.  Rather, I would hope to discourage folks from a particular choice based on my experience and encourage the solicitation of a healthy relationship with your local (hopefully) Kawasaki dealership. 

Thus far, Clem's Powersports of Enumclaw have obtained my new sensors (for which I do not object to paying) and have arranged a service time two days hence.  They will change everything whilst I wait.  I accept a few of their eccentricities as a smaller dealership and look forward to reporting on their success. 

I do appreciate your admonitions and support.  Thank you.

And Hinshaw's still sucks. 

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2012, 07:03:14 AM »

10-4 Jim..

I have always taken the time when dealing with these different dealers/service techs, to "pick thier brain" a bit to see where they are with regards to the issues involved with our bikes, both the C14 and the Original Conni.
I also explain our "group/organization" to them, and ask them to peruse our 2 forums, to actually see what we talk about, and even invite the dealers to become Industry COG members.... ;)
it goes a long way when trying to get good service, and making the best impression with the knowledge database tends to force the dealer to step up, or drop. I can say without a doubt, the dealerships I have dealt with seem to be willing to step up. Unfortunatly there ARE some out there that you can tell within the first 3 minutes of face time, they will never be the one.... ???

I'll let ya know what transpires in a "new thread", and release the hi-jack from this one....
carry on. 8) ;)

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2012, 11:32:38 AM »
My 2 pesos on this, since I'm a business owner . . .

I won't defend the dealer and his crappy service, BUT part of what you're seeing is the result of every damn person looking for the absolute lowest price on everything. A lot of products have very slim margins and all this price competition is fierce. A dealer or any other business that can't make a profit eventually ceases to exist.

In my neck of OH we've seen some of the biggest dealers go **** up the past few years, lessening competition and increasing servicing time because there are now too many people with no place else to go.

We've also had customers in our store whip out their cell phones to either photograph our products and prices or to go online and check for a lower price. And hell, I've even done that myself in Best Buy . . . still, it's not appropriate.

I try as much as possible to purchase my bike parts from local dealers. I will NOT use M/C Superstore or their ilk. How many of you know that Dennis Kirk the catalog/online site is actually owned by Parts Unlimited, the 800-lb gorilla of m/c distributors? How would you like to be a bike shop with this kind of price power being used against them?

End of rant . . .

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2012, 02:59:17 PM »

I won't defend the dealer and his crappy service, BUT part of what you're seeing is the result of every damn person looking for the absolute lowest price on everything. A lot of products have very slim margins and all this price competition is fierce. A dealer or any other business that can't make a profit eventually ceases to exist.

In my neck of OH we've seen some of the biggest dealers go **** up the past few years, lessening competition and increasing servicing time because there are now too many people with no place else to go.

We've also had customers in our store whip out their cell phones to either photograph our products and prices or to go online and check for a lower price. And hell, I've even done that myself in Best Buy . . . still, it's not appropriate.

I try as much as possible to purchase my bike parts from local dealers. I will NOT use M/C Superstore or their ilk. How many of you know that Dennis Kirk the catalog/online site is actually owned by Parts Unlimited, the 800-lb gorilla of m/c distributors? How would you like to be a bike shop with this kind of price power being used against them?

End of rant . . .

+1

bar scan app on 'droid....    and by the way bestbuy is just a storefront for amazon.  i see people looking at high end stereo stuff in bestbuy then whip out there phones and buy online at the push of a button (bar scan app) same price minus taxes and free shipping.
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2012, 03:17:04 PM »
I just go straight to Amazon and bypass Best Buy.  I can't see them being in business this time next year.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline JerBear

« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2012, 03:18:43 PM »
I live in south central Wisconsin. I'm lucky that there is two dealerships in the area both about 45 minutes from my home. The closest does a great job being competitive with the internet dealers. They are a bit higher (about 5 to 10 percent) but in my way of thinking, where will I go if they close? I go there because they don't screw me, they employ good staff that acts professional, they pay taxes to our local economy and they make it right if they do mess up (seldom).

The thing that really pisses me off is they did not get a 2012 Concours and I had to go to Madison just to see one. I'm sticking with the old standby for now but at some point I would think I will change and when I do it will likely be a new Connie not one of the 10 wings they have.
2008 C14 Non-ABS

Offline NDCUNIONGUY

« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2012, 09:54:49 PM »
i see people looking at high end stereo stuff in bestbuy then whip out there phones and buy online at the push of a button (bar scan app) same price minus taxes and free shipping.

There is no "High End" stereo stuff in BestBuy.  In their Tacoma store, there is an additional vendor partnership offering some decent stuff.  I demoed a Denon and a Pioneer Elite receiver there but did not purchase because they did not have the model I wanted and their prices were 40% higher than I could achieve from numerous on-line sellers.  Most of that was profit since comparisons with lower end models were within 10-20% (on-line vs. in-store).  No way I am paying $500 more for a receiver that ships in a box from Japan to everyone that buys them.  For $100 and good customer service, I would think about it.

I look for good values, but do not subscribe to the "Save Money, Live Better." idiotology that is quietly destroying our country. 

Love the new tires and can't think of anything bad to say about Clem's.  The Service Manager Jeff, is a good guy to work with.  The shop guys/gals were friendly and industrious.  Sales staff (including Clem) was willing to bs for awhile and in general everyone was upbeat and interested in what they were doing. 

Nice folks.  Apparently I have to try the Wally's Drive-in next time around.

Offline RBX QB

« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2012, 12:18:31 AM »
... Apparently I have to try the Wally's Drive-in next time around.

Yeah, you do. Great place to stop after a ride up the mountain.
2011 Concours 14 ABS
2̶0̶0̶6̶ ̶D̶u̶c̶a̶t̶i̶ ̶M̶o̶n̶s̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶S̶2̶R̶D̶  SOLD

Son of Pappy

« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2012, 08:04:55 AM »
Don't forget to check out Krains Korner as well, great food and a fair price, awesome service as well.  I'll have to stop in and visit with Jeff at Clems, sounds like a nice shop.

Offline booger

« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2012, 09:42:12 AM »
I dunno.  I have always found, in any line of business, for every pissed off customer that can't stand the dealer/business/store, etc. there is another customer that rants about how fantastic they are.

I have always kept my opinion to myself, because I know I can be a cantakerous, unreasonable old fart.  There are several business here in Katy, Tx. that I won't give my hard earned money to, for various reasons.  My wife thinks I am crazy on a few of the reasons.  But it is my money and I will give it to who I want.

But I guess there isn't any sense in participating in a forum if you don't try to warn fellow participants about the pitfalls of some businesses.  I gues my main point is just make sure it is justified, and hasn't reached a personal leve..

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2012, 10:59:12 AM »

End of rant . . .

:goodpost:

As a business owner in a different area, I see this more and more.  Price is the ONLY object and they will use me as a showroom and try to beat me up on price constantly.  Customers can ruin your day, believe me.  Brick and mortar stores are not cheap to operate.  If you want local dealers and service, support the local businesses.  The money they generate stays largely in your own community.

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2012, 02:40:08 PM »
For what it is worth the lack of good customer service has driven me away from my local dealers and onto the computer.  I would rather support my local guy and spend 10% more if there was a mutual benefit, but when I go there and get treated like crap from the pimple faced kid at the parts counter then I feel no reason to pay more. 

In my area we have a good dealer and a not so good dealer.  I tried buying my C14 from one of them and understood that they need to make a profit, but MSRP on a 2 year old bike?  I traveled 4 hours to another dealer and saved 3k.  I even offered to pay 1K more than the other guy 4 hours away so I could try and establish a good working relationship but he stuck to MSRP.  Guess where I bought my bike...
These days good dealers with good service have no problems selling bikes and fixing them.  Customer Service is a lost art as the generations pass. 
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 12:42:47 PM by 556ALPHA »

Offline NDCUNIONGUY

« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2012, 11:42:32 PM »
I dunno.  I have always found, in any line of business, for every pissed off customer that can't stand the dealer/business/store, etc. there is another customer that rants about how fantastic they are.

I have always kept my opinion to myself, because I know I can be a cantakerous, unreasonable old fart.  There are several business here in Katy, Tx. that I won't give my hard earned money to, for various reasons.  My wife thinks I am crazy on a few of the reasons.  But it is my money and I will give it to who I want.

But I guess there isn't any sense in participating in a forum if you don't try to warn fellow participants about the pitfalls of some businesses.  I gues my main point is just make sure it is justified, and hasn't reached a personal leve..

Booger,

I grew up (from the age of 5) hanging out and working in the family automotive businesses.  I do know how to deal with all types of customers, even those that are wrong.  The most important thing is to own a situation and give the customer the attention and interest they deserve.  Negative publicity is the most expensive kind.  I do agree with you that negative experiences can be and are offset by positive ones.  But when you walk into a showroom with a bag of money, point to one of the shiny bikes and tell them you want that one, how is that ever going to be anything but positive?  Adversity is the better test.  Hinshaw's failed.  More importantly, I intentionly left out my earlier negative experiences with them from when they were down on Auburn Way and when they were at their second location to the north of where they are now.  I did give them time and another chance.  Things haven't gotten any better. 

My experience at Clem's was good, not perfect and it need not have been. Jeff handled a little hiccup on his own and even more generously than I would have.  I don't browbeat service folks unless they really, really ask for it.  I've been where they are.  In fact, I'm known for contributing to the shop lunch fund since I know how it feels when a customer gives a damn. 

I am now trying to emphasize a positive experience to contrast the negative one.  Each was less than perfect and each were handled completely differently.  I've seen the way the kids work on and ride the customer bikes at Clem's and I think I can trust them to do the right things.  They don't screw around but they aren't being rushed either.  There is a good vibe here.  Their in-house ride leader rides a beautiful black/gold (w/ blue flake) ZX-12, not too shabby...

Pappy,

Thanks for the head's up on Krains Korner, I'll hit that one too. 

Offline manowarwi

• Midwest Sport Riders
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2012, 07:03:19 AM »
For what it is worth the lack of good customer service has driven me away from my local dealers and onto the computer.  I would rather support my local guy and spend 10% more if there was a mutual benefit, but when I go there and get treated like crap from the pimple faced kid at the parts counter then I lost feel no reason to pay more. 

Another good post.  I like the idea of supporting local business, but the dealer / buyer relationship has to be mutual.  Just as much as its crappy for a customer to window shop and purchase online, a good dealer should be willing to work with a customer as well. 

Case in point, a local, very large dealership in De Pere (I'm sure those in WI can figure that out) routinely charges ABOVE MSRP for gear.  Ok, I can appreciate paying a little more to have good gear in stock.  Now, I went there earlier in the year to get boots.  They didn't have my size but offered to order them in for me.  I was about to agree, but then they guy said I'd have to pay in advance for them and when I asked what about if they don't fit, he said I would have to pay a restocking fee.  I'm sorry, at that point I said no thank you and went online.  It sucks, but when it costs more and the return policy sucks, it pushes me towards online retailers.  The real kicker is this dealer is awesome to work with when it comes to test riding and buying bikes, its just their gear department that sucks. 
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly

2014 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC
2008 Concours - Gone but not forgotten

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2012, 03:09:04 PM »
Another good post.  I like the idea of supporting local business, but the dealer / buyer relationship has to be mutual.  Just as much as its crappy for a customer to window shop and purchase online, a good dealer should be willing to work with a customer as well. 

Case in point, a local, very large dealership in De Pere (I'm sure those in WI can figure that out) routinely charges ABOVE MSRP for gear.  Ok, I can appreciate paying a little more to have good gear in stock.  Now, I went there earlier in the year to get boots.  They didn't have my size but offered to order them in for me.  I was about to agree, but then they guy said I'd have to pay in advance for them and when I asked what about if they don't fit, he said I would have to pay a restocking fee.  I'm sorry, at that point I said no thank you and went online.  It sucks, but when it costs more and the return policy sucks, it pushes me towards online retailers.  The real kicker is this dealer is awesome to work with when it comes to test riding and buying bikes, its just their gear department that sucks.

If the dealer is otherwise good the way you say, then instead of going online I'd find the owner or GM and repeat your complaint. The salesman who had told you this might be wrong or the GM might not even know they're doing this or how it's affecting sales. Just saying.

Offline NDCUNIONGUY

« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2012, 05:34:49 AM »

I hear you on the boots.  Try the manufacturer direct.  I went American with Danner, returned one set (no cost) for the right size (milspec, really) and no looking back.  Seriously, no dealer is going to stock all of the things we might wish.  That's life.  Shopping for gear is somewhat more esoteric than the right scoot.  All of the bike manufacturers make products that we can sample or read reviews about.  Gear reviews and personal experiences are much more sporadic.  I see this as more of a treasure hunt than a shortcoming.  You might try to find local (within riding distance) businesses with the choices you are interested in. 

I'm looking for some intermediate (not quite as thick as my TourMaster's) Hi-Vis gloves for my fall riding season.  I look forward to the adventure.  I might find something, I might not, but I'll have some good rides finding out what is available. 

Bon Chance.

Manowarwi and Everyone, let me know if you need any "Stand With Wisconsin" stickers. 

NDCUNIONGUY