Author Topic: DO NOT GO TO HINSHAW'S MOTORCYCLE STORE IN AUBURN, WA  (Read 22084 times)

Offline NDCUNIONGUY

DO NOT GO TO HINSHAW'S MOTORCYCLE STORE IN AUBURN, WA
« on: September 24, 2012, 02:19:51 AM »
What happens when the economy kills off the knowledgeable and competent dealerships?

In my case, I’m forced to take my C-14 to the incompetent folks at Hinshaw’s Motorcycle Store of Auburn, Washington.  You may have inferred that all did not go as desired and you would be correct.  In fact, the only positive comment that I can imagine is that they did not actually damage the bike for the week that it was with them.  One week?  What major work would take a week during prime riding time in Western Washington?  The plan was to R&R the Tire Pressure Sensors and the PR2’s.  The service tech that wrote up the work must have been too interested in making his Taco Bell order because he certainly didn’t put any effort into something like looking up and ordering the necessary parts.  This all started with a phone call Monday morning wherein I presented my service requests and inquired if this could all be handled so that I could get the bike back for a ride I had planned with a friend on the following Sunday.  I was assured there would be no problem meeting that schedule.  Fast forward to 1430 on Friday and I still had no contact from Hinshaw’s.  I called them and was told that the parts had not arrived.  It was at that point that I asked the service person on the phone which parts had been ordered and was given the part numbers.  When I cross-referenced them with Hinshaw’s own on-line parts fiche, I discovered that these geniuses had ordered two new valve stems that would screw into my old and sporadically malfunctioning pressure sensors.  I was quite displeased, initially because nothing had been done as promised and because it was up to me to babysit supposedly trained professionals whom I was paying to work on my bike.  Once the service person realized the problem, I asked him what it was going to take to get my bike ready by Sunday as promised.  He said he would have to look into it.  That, of course, is the telephonic equivalent of an eye roll and a mental admonition that it sucked to be me.  Next step, talk to the boss.  Okay, try to talk to the boss, someone named “Ron,” (I have since developed the impression that “Ron” may actually be Ron Orr, the store owner).   Three phone calls, a voice-mail for “Ron,” and an e-mail got me nada.  “Ron,” must have been too busy to address his customer’s concerns.  The day ended with my picking up my unmolested bike from some anonymous and vaguely hostile Hinshaw’s representative.  No apology, no what can we do?  In the past ten days, no follow-up from General Manager “Ron.”  No one at Hinshaw’s gives a damn about my customer experience so I thought I would share with the group. 

I am not here to suggest that the customer is always right or that they should always get their butts smooched, but I can think of several ways Hinshaw’s could have gone about resolving their screw-up.  Had I been “General Manager Ron,” I would have tried to get the parts expressed and installed by Sunday (they are open Sundays).  If that were not possible, I would have offered the customer their choice of demo bikes for the weekend.  Failing either of those options I would offer to have someone collect the customer and reunite him with his bike until the parts became available at which point I would provide him with any needed transportation to resolve this issue. 

Word to the wise, avoid Hinshaw’s Motorcycle Store in Auburn, WA.  There will icicles on the Devil’s balls before I set a boot inside there again. 

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: DO NOT GO TO HINSHAW'S MOTORCYCLE STORE IN AUBURN, WA
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 04:31:23 AM »
Why were you 'forced' to go to that dealership?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline PH14

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 06:37:45 AM »
And I will add, why did you drop it off before they had the parts? If you need tires and want to ride, have them install the tires, then get the sensors replaced later. Your sensors should be warrantied. This is usually a drive in and wait service item. I have never dropped a bike off and left it for tires or even sensors now that I have the C14. I have had them break my sensor while changing a tire, and they replaced it with a standard valve stem so I could ride while waiting for the part to come in.

Offline NDCUNIONGUY

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 07:03:11 AM »
And I will add, why did you drop it off before they had the parts? If you need tires and want to ride, have them install the tires, then get the sensors replaced later. Your sensors should be warrantied. This is usually a drive in and wait service item. I have never dropped a bike off and left it for tires or even sensors now that I have the C14. I have had them break my sensor while changing a tire, and they replaced it with a standard valve stem so I could ride while waiting for the part to come in.

Uh, I brought my own PR2's and the warranty has expired w/o an extended plan.  I am the second owner.  The original batteries in the sensors are toast.  I rode home tonight with the flashing sensor warning, yeah.  V-Jim correctly ascertained that I was not forced to use this particular dealership, but they were significantly the closest.  Hinshaw's had always been a Honda-specific dealership in the past and had no Kawasaki affiliation until the closing of RMC in Renton.  It is now apparent that they lack the knowledge necessary to properly care for all of the makes for which they claim responsibility and expertise.  Customer service is still customer service.

I had recently made a circuit around Mt. Rainier and that convinced me that the old PR2's needed to be changed.  Last winter the sensors would intermittently protest so I felt the time was right to get this stuff done before another good ride.  My skills do not and should not translate to the personal performance of all that my bike requires.  I should be (and have been) able to rely on professional dealerships to support these needs. 

I do not expect any business to behave in this manner and I do not understand why anyone would.

Offline r2t2

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 07:42:46 AM »
You guys are being critical to the wrong guy... Who knows what his schedule is like. I know that there are times I'm stuck using someone for a task that I'm capable of, but can't find the time to do. And how do you REALLY  know how service will be until you try and use them. A week without a message or what not is NOT acceptable. But then I'm a PITA customer and  make periodic contact until it's ready.

OP, go Olin's to Yelp and write a review. You'll get a larger audience and it appears the owner monitors the site.
RayK
'08 C14
'06 BMW M3
'01 BMW 330i

Offline PH14

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2012, 08:01:22 AM »
Uh, I brought my own PR2's and the warranty has expired w/o an extended plan.  I am the second owner.  The original batteries in the sensors are toast.  I rode home tonight with the flashing sensor warning, yeah.  V-Jim correctly ascertained that I was not forced to use this particular dealership, but they were significantly the closest.  Hinshaw's had always been a Honda-specific dealership in the past and had no Kawasaki affiliation until the closing of RMC in Renton.  It is now apparent that they lack the knowledge necessary to properly care for all of the makes for which they claim responsibility and expertise.  Customer service is still customer service.

I had recently made a circuit around Mt. Rainier and that convinced me that the old PR2's needed to be changed.  Last winter the sensors would intermittently protest so I felt the time was right to get this stuff done before another good ride.  My skills do not and should not translate to the personal performance of all that my bike requires.  I should be (and have been) able to rely on professional dealerships to support these needs. 

I do not expect any business to behave in this manner and I do not understand why anyone would.

I understand your frustration. I just wouldn't have left the bike if the parts weren't there. Parts for these can at time take a while, despite promises from dealerships. If at all possible, I would wait for the new tires to be put on and forget about the sensors, the tires themselves are more important. I never take the bike in until the parts are there. Lesson learned.

You may also get better service if you buy your tires from them. MY dealerships have no problem with you bringing in your own tires, but you will most likely get better service if you buy from them. My dealership does a great job of trying to match internet prices if it can. They matched Murph's price on my last set of PR3s. Even if they are a little more I generally buy from them. It pays to keep a good relationship with a dealer.

I hope you get it all sorted out so you can enjoy the bike.

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2012, 08:32:04 AM »
Based on your explanation I would be irate.  As stated the sensors should have been delivered before they took possession of your bike.  It sounds like they have no idea what they are doing.  The Goldwing uses the same type of sensor so that should not have been an issue. 

PH14, it sounds like you have a great dealer.  No dealers will match internet prices in my area.  They will either have you:
 1. Pay retail for tires and do free/reduced mounting
 2. Let you bring your tires in and molest you with the labor cost.

Obviously I am basing my opinion based on what has been provided.  It sounds like HORRIBLE customer service which is a lost art in America.  You would think that business owners would go out of their way to keep the customer happy in these economic times.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2012, 09:02:34 AM »
2 things, the advertised battery life is 5 years, should still be covered.  Take your bike to Cliffs in Bremerton, I have had good service for many many many years.  Avoid the Brothers with the same kinda passion you have with Hinshaws.

Offline RBX QB

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2012, 09:21:53 AM »
With the closure of RMC and the other Kawi shop last year, this is also my closest dealer now.

I had a great experience with my brake recall... Was planning on leaving the bike so they could fit in the work on a busy weekend (Labor Day), but when I went to drop it off, they said they could fit it in right then. 25 minutes and I was out of there.

My expectation is that they have a learning curve for the Kawis. I go in expecting that there will be delays until they become an established Kawi dealer.

+1 on not leaving the bike until they had the parts.

+1 on Hinshaws not handling your service very well. "Basic customer service", as you stated, is a must.

I'll still take my bike there, but I also have the habit of researching parts and services before I take any of my vehicles in to a shop. That, and having 2 bikes... I could be without a bike for a while if it came to it.
2011 Concours 14 ABS
2̶0̶0̶6̶ ̶D̶u̶c̶a̶t̶i̶ ̶M̶o̶n̶s̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶S̶2̶R̶D̶  SOLD

Offline NDCUNIONGUY

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2012, 02:38:24 PM »
2 things, the advertised battery life is 5 years, should still be covered.  Take your bike to Cliffs in Bremerton, I have had good service for many many many years.  Avoid the Brothers with the same kinda passion you have with Hinshaws.

I appreciate that advice, but Bremerton is rather outside of my wife's drop-off/pick-up zone.  For the record, the batteries/sensors are what they are.  I don't have an issue with paying to replace them.  Neither the tires nor the sensors are making the bike unrideable, but rather, less enjoyable.  I just want a fair shake.  If I can't find that within a reasonable distance, I'll have to re-evaluate my options which include the uber-friendly and knowledgeable folks just down the hill at South Sound BMW.  I enjoy riding my connie and have never owned any other brand of street bike besides Kawasakis, but I need competent and reliable dealer support.  I'm not going to be looking over the shoulder of the tech when he is wrist-deep inside the head and his watch band disintegrates or he realizes that the shims he is using are not quite right.  Relationships are built and maintained on trust.  Mistakes happen, but must be owned.

Does anyone have any experience with Clem's in enumclaw?  Thanks for sharing.

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2012, 04:50:44 PM »
Ref warranty I would recommend reading this thread:

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=8112.msg98077#msg98077

Offline enumclaw

• The universe has a plan
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2012, 10:16:24 AM »
Does anyone have any experience with Clem's in enumclaw?  Thanks for sharing.

I do most of my own work, but have had them do a couple of things in the past.  They did exactly what I asked, for a reasonable cost, and finished when they said they would be.  The guy that runs the service desk seems knowledgeable, and I've never had the feeling I was being bs'd by him.  I don't know how they are about bringing in tires to mount without having bought them there, but seems like they'd be okay.  I would give them the chance if I were in your shoes. 

By the by, I've never had any service work done at Hinshaw's but have purchased parts and some after market stuff from them from time to time.  Fair prices, and they at least have a decent selection of stuff on the shelves.  Too bad Kent Kaw closed up; great long time, small dealer.  RMC, eh, just another large volume shop in my experience.  But fewer options are never good.

Good luck.
Rob

DL650: KLR250: C10

Offline NDCUNIONGUY

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2012, 05:22:43 AM »
Too bad Kent Kaw closed up; great long time, small dealer.  RMC, eh, just another large volume shop in my experience.  But fewer options are never good.

Good luck.

Yeah, I remember all of the little local Kawi shops the same way.  My first Kwacker was a 350 triple.  I went everywhere for pieces and parts.  My Renton Motorcycle (not sure what they were called) history goes back to those days when the dealership was right on the strip in Renton.  I never had a problem getting what I needed there. 

I've touched base with Clem's and they seem to be quite reasonable on labor as well as knowledgeable for parts needs.  They wouldn't let me schedule until the parts were in.  Yes, they got the right part numbers first time out.  Once 410 opens up around the mountain again, it might be the perfect place to visit.

Offline enumclaw

• The universe has a plan
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2012, 07:42:48 AM »
Once 410 opens up around the mountain again, it might be the perfect place to visit.

What part of 410 isn't open?  I was over last weekend, going again today.  Or do you mean Stevens Canyon from the east up to Paradise?
Rob

DL650: KLR250: C10

Offline NDCUNIONGUY

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2012, 02:53:54 AM »
What part of 410 isn't open?  I was over last weekend, going again today.  Or do you mean Stevens Canyon from the east up to Paradise?
Yep, that closed right after Labor Day.  The good news is that I found a talkative Park Ranger that informed me about the future for vehicles on Rainier once all of the road work is done.  It will be shuttle buses and bikes.  No more long processions of cages doing 10 under.

Update to Hinshaw's:  I gave them a Yelping which stayed up for 3-4 days and then was magically filtered by the "Filter Program."  Hinshaw's has 7 filtered reviews, 6 of which are highly unflattering.  Kind of makes one doubt the legitimacy of the Yelping process since filtered reviews are not readily visible (you must enter security information) and do not affect the businesses rating score.

Offline RBX QB

« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2012, 10:38:06 AM »
That's how Yelp works... It will even filter good reviews.
2011 Concours 14 ABS
2̶0̶0̶6̶ ̶D̶u̶c̶a̶t̶i̶ ̶M̶o̶n̶s̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶S̶2̶R̶D̶  SOLD

Offline NDCUNIONGUY

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2012, 02:46:12 PM »
That's how Yelp works... It will even filter good reviews.

A six to one filter ratio is not simply anomolous, but more likely the result of undisclosed criteria.  Sort of like having mostly attractive folks on television...   

Offline PH14

« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2012, 07:00:59 PM »

PH14, it sounds like you have a great dealer.  No dealers will match internet prices in my area.  They will either have you:
 1. Pay retail for tires and do free/reduced mounting
 2. Let you bring your tires in and molest you with the labor cost.

I hear you. I have two dealers who will work with me locally. I still say most of the reason is that I have developed a decent relationship with them both. Both though do a good job of competing with online prices when they can. One would buy a huge quantity of Pilot Powers and their price was the same you could get on the internet. I always took advantage of it when I had my RC51.

I don't disagree he got bad service, but I just wouldn't have dropped the bike off if the parts weren't in.

Offline Jim M.

• 2008 C-14
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2012, 10:59:12 AM »
Ref warranty I would recommend reading this thread:

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=8112.msg98077#msg98077

I've seen the bulletin, but nowhere does it state that there is any warranty beyond the 3 years on the bike. It merely states that the batteries are "rated for 5 years." 

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2012, 01:52:02 PM »
I've seen the bulletin, but nowhere does it state that there is any warranty beyond the 3 years on the bike. It merely states that the batteries are "rated for 5 years."

The "bulletin" is pretty non-meaningful....BUT, if you bought extended warrantee, and you are currently covered, the sensors are covered....

I just got the call from my "local" dealer here in Ohio, whom I met on a walk-in cold call last week. I asked them if they would cover my brake link recall, and also honor my extended warranty for my sensors....they hemmed and hawed a bit till I explained who I was, and about our organization, and it's effects of what has transpired since the first C14 came out.... they agreed to pursue the sensor warranty, and actually called me yesterday to tell me they have sensors in hand, and also the brake rod....and to bring it in.
woooo hoooooo 8) ;D

:hail: :hail: :thumbs: :thumbs: :grouphug:it seems I have found ANOTHER good dealership with regards to thier service ethics....I'll report back after the install...... ;) :popcorn: :popcorn:

Ohio Motorcycle, Oakwood Ohio
www.ohiomotorcycle.com

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..