Author Topic: Guhl Motors ECU Reflash Donor Bike  (Read 24647 times)

Offline cablebandit

Re: Guhl Motors ECU Reflash Donor Bike
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2011, 06:11:10 PM »

Offline Armyguns

2010 C14 ABS

Offline Armyguns

« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2011, 04:39:54 AM »
I was playing around yesterday looking at the 4th gear dyno chart and decided to look at the data in a slightly different way, one that might better show the performance gain.  I took the before and after torque and HP numbers at each of the major RPM points and calculated the percent increase in them at those points.  I then plotted the results.  So what we see in the attached plot is the percent gain in HP and torque across the RPM range from stock.  I have no doubt that the results are similar for each of the lower gears.
2010 C14 ABS

Offline DocPigskin

• I'm kind of a big deal

Offline Kazairl

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2013, 06:50:54 AM »
I am resurrecting this thread due to the other thread gaining popularity.  There never seemed to be any "conclusion" with this thread.  There was mention of more analysis was going to be done across all the gears- what happened?  There was mention of Guhl developing a flashing system- what happened?  It has been over a year now, Armyguns, are you still happy?  There was never any mention of anyone else flashing except Lt1?   I could find no other threads but this recent one:  http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=12544.0

I was playing around yesterday looking at the 4th gear dyno chart and decided to look at the data in a slightly different way, one that might better show the performance gain. [...]

The "peak hp" and "peak torque" numbers from the flash are pretty much a waste of time.  But the 15% torque increase below 5000RPM should be noticeable.  But even that is not "dramatic".  As was mentioned before, it must be "response" that is most changed, which can't be seen on a typical dyno run chart.

I suspect it is almost all due to the flies, however and would have sparked a whole flies vs. flash thing that never really happened.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2013, 07:20:23 AM »
Thanks, Max. :)
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Armyguns

« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2013, 07:18:47 AM »
<snip> It has been over a year now, Armyguns, are you still happy? 

Maxtog-  It has been over 13,000 miles and 1 1/2 years since my reflash.  I have absolutely no regrets.  Best 'bang for the buck'' I spent on ANY of the farkles I have purchased.  As the 5th gear dyno runs show, it isn't about peak HP or torque.  This mod is about making the numbers quicker.  As we all know, this bike in factory stock trim is no slug.  With the reflash there is a VERY noticeable increase in how quickly the bike accelerates and how hard it pulls.  I do a fair amount of 2 up riding and the performance hit the bike takes with the increased weight of a passenger is completely off-set by the reflash.  Acceleration is still strong and the need to downshift to stay in the 'power band' is greatly reduced.  Want to pass- just crack the throttle and GO.  No fuss, just GO.  I can't recommend this mod enough. 
2010 C14 ABS

Offline Conrad

« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2013, 07:21:58 AM »
You guys with first gen bikes, when you spoke with Don, what options did you ask for in your reflash?
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2013, 07:36:01 AM »
You guys with first gen bikes, when you spoke with Don, what options did you ask for in your reflash?

Exactly, that was another on my list of unresolved questions.

And another was- what is the flies mapping while in ECO?  Does that stay the same or is modified?  Is the ECO map left unchanged for timing and AFR?
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #50 on: February 17, 2013, 08:37:18 AM »

Why? You don't have a first gen bike.  Looking out for us Classic, FC (Fastest Color), and EA (Early Adopter) owners, Max?  Not that we need the speed increase.  We should probably be slowing our bikes down so we don't get hurt or speed off into another dimension we're so fast.  Thanks for looking out for us, though.  ;)
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Armyguns

« Reply #51 on: February 17, 2013, 08:53:15 AM »

And another was- what is the flies mapping while in ECO?  Does that stay the same or is modified?  Is the ECO map left unchanged for timing and AFR?

I don't have a first gen, so I can't answer that part. 

The ECO mode is completely UNCHANGED.  The map for that is in a different section of the ECU and Don (to the best of my knowledge) has not explored around in there. 

2010 C14 ABS

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #52 on: February 17, 2013, 09:27:19 AM »
Why? You don't have a first gen bike.  Looking out for us Classic, FC (Fastest Color), and EA (Early Adopter) owners, Max?

Yes.  I tend to think a lot about others :)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #53 on: February 17, 2013, 09:28:34 AM »
The ECO mode is completely UNCHANGED.  The map for that is in a different section of the ECU and Don (to the best of my knowledge) has not explored around in there.

Thanks for the info.  The map can be unchanged but what about the secondary butterflies?  Is that at stock behavior while in ECO mode?

Offline Armyguns

« Reply #54 on: February 17, 2013, 09:49:04 AM »
Thanks for the info.  The map can be unchanged but what about the secondary butterflies?  Is that at stock behavior while in ECO mode?

Flies are untouched on the ECO map with the Guhl reflash.  The ECO mode is factory stock across the board. 
2010 C14 ABS

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #55 on: February 17, 2013, 01:37:48 PM »
Flies are untouched on the ECO map with the Guhl reflash.  The ECO mode is factory stock across the board.

That is good news- it means one could almost have a "before and after" type experience... well, except that the ECO mode automatically cancels itself under heavy throttle/RPM :)

Offline Armyguns

« Reply #56 on: February 17, 2013, 03:19:01 PM »
That is good news- it means one could almost have a "before and after" type experience... well, except that the ECO mode automatically cancels itself under heavy throttle/RPM :)

You absolutely can do a 'before/after' test except under max throttle.  Very instructive to play with the bike responsiveness under normal riding conditions, especially when two-up by switching between the two modes.  Honestly, I haven't switched back to ECO within the last year or more.  Once you have the power, you don't want to go back. 
2010 C14 ABS

Offline Conrad

« Reply #57 on: February 18, 2013, 04:29:35 AM »
Why? You don't have a first gen bike.  Looking out for us Classic, FC (Fastest Color), and EA (Early Adopter) owners, Max?  Not that we need the speed increase.  We should probably be slowing our bikes down so we don't get hurt or speed off into another dimension we're so fast.  Thanks for looking out for us, though.  ;)

:thumbs:

Thanks Max!
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Cuda

« Reply #58 on: February 18, 2013, 05:20:12 AM »
Group HUG for Max and Pussy
Max I believe he can install ECO as your standard mode then push the button for grunt mode, Incase you have that large KILLER Kitty  with you and you need more grunt ;)
Since it is WINTER and I'm sure his work has slowed down , call for a group buy ? good time to send in your ECU for those of you who don't live in S Fl. ;D
I'm going to bike week in Daytona ...anyone else ,  we should meet somewhere , Hooters?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 06:48:46 AM by Cuda »
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #59 on: February 18, 2013, 06:29:24 AM »
If someone wants to work with Guhl on a group buy then by all means...  I'll sticky it for the duration of the buy to keep it visible.  We'll need to start a new thread for that.