Author Topic: painted section on mirror  (Read 13134 times)

Offline ZG

• Arena
painted section on mirror
« on: May 05, 2012, 05:58:12 PM »
So I pulled into my usualy spot at the grocery store this morning, up on the sidewalk next to this brick wall, was obviously closer than I thought because my right mirror just barely touched the brick and left a scratch on the painted section. It didn't touch anything else on the mirror, the painted section is clearly it's own piece on the mirror but yet Kawi won't sell it seperately, they make you buy the entire mirror!!

Argh!!!

:banghead:   >:(

Rubbed it with some scratch remover but I can still see the scratch, really pisses me off...  :'(

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: painted section on mirror
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 06:05:48 PM »
You wouldn't see it if it was neutron silver...... :P
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 06:06:41 PM »

:battle:

I'd rather have the scratch...  ;)

Offline OregonLAN

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2012, 06:37:45 PM »
So I pulled into my usualy spot at the grocery store this morning, up on the sidewalk next to this brick wall, was obviously closer than I thought because my right mirror just barely touched the brick and left a scratch on the painted section. It didn't touch anything else on the mirror, the painted section is clearly it's own piece on the mirror but yet Kawi won't sell it seperately, they make you buy the entire mirror!!

Argh!!!

:banghead:   >:(

Rubbed it with some scratch remover but I can still see the scratch, really pisses me off...  :'(

Did it scratch through the CC? If not, any auto body shop should be able to repair it fairly cheap.

Offline Tim

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2012, 06:48:42 PM »
Touch up pen won't make it?
I don't always ride a street bike. But when I do, it's a Concours. Ride safely my friend.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2012, 06:57:30 PM »
There's always spray on bedliner. ;)

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2012, 07:02:00 PM »
There's always spray on bedliner. ;)

:o

Not...

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2012, 07:06:01 PM »
Did it scratch through the CC? If not, any auto body shop should be able to repair it fairly cheap.

Touch up pen won't make it?

Ya, I thought about both those things but ended up just ordering a new mirror this afternoon...  :'(

I hate spending $ for something that doesn't enhance the bike in any way prior to getting the scratch, just seems so stupid that Kawi won't sell that painted piece as clearly it's a seperate part...

Offline OregonLAN

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2012, 08:02:54 PM »
What, no pictures?  :D

I'm guessing you had to pay ~$150 for the part and ~$75 to have it installed. Ouch!

Maybe you should ride with your mirrors folder in. Less wind resistance too...

Taff

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2012, 08:12:26 PM »
That sucks big time!
PITA that Kawasaki doesn't sell the part your need.  :(

The mirror is easy to remove (just watch it doesn't fall when taking out the 3 screws underneath) so take the mirror to a body repair place (get a quote) then they are usually able to mask off the scratched section and "blend" in the paint with the rest of the part.
As you wait for the new mirror to arrive this may make it a cheaper alternative than spending all the money on a new part.

Jon.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2012, 08:23:35 PM »
The mirror is easy to remove (just watch it doesn't fall when taking out the 3 screws underneath) so take the mirror to a body repair place (get a quote) then they are usually able to mask off the scratched section and "blend" in the paint with the rest of the part.
As you wait for the new mirror to arrive this may make it a cheaper alternative than spending all the money on a new part.

+1

Black is easy to match.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2012, 08:25:43 PM »
Since it's already scratched how about a drop test video? :)

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2012, 08:37:29 PM »
Here's a pic I just took, it has about a one inch scratch and then about a half dozen little "/ type" scratches as you can see in the pic, only the painted section got scratched though nothing else even touched, it would be so simple if they sold just that painted part for me to swap out... Man, brick is like course sand paper, it barely touch the wall.

It probably could be buffed out somewhat or touched up with a pen but I don't see it being perfect anymore and that will just drive me crazy, I'm too anal for having a scratch on my Connie...  :(

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2012, 08:47:22 PM »
I'm guessing you had to pay ~$150 for the part and ~$75 to have it installed. Ouch!

Yep, about $150 but my cost was only $110, the install should be something simple enough that I can do, may have to borrow one of those screwdriver things from Gumbi though...  ;) ;D

Jon.

+1

Black is easy to match.

Ya I thought about that but I'm guessing there would still be some sort of minimum charge even though it wouldn't take much paint, new one was only $110 with my parts slut discount, seemed to be an easier faster route to go...  :-\

Hahaha, nope that was a couple weeks ago GP!  ;)  First the drop on the left side now the mirror on the right side, a tough couple weeks for me...  :'(

Taff

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2012, 08:59:31 PM »
Jay,

Why don't you ask a reputable paint place for a quote. It doesn't take that long to prep as it only needs fine sanding, bit of primer and paint.
I have a contact up here that can get you discount on paint.

I know how much you love the bike and appreciate you looking after the beauty so well  ;D ;D

Taff

« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2012, 09:01:28 PM »

Funny as heck, but me thinks it is a non starter  ;D ;D

Taff

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2012, 09:02:29 PM »

:rotflmao:

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2012, 09:20:49 PM »
Jay,

Why don't you ask a reputable paint place for a quote. It doesn't take that long to prep as it only needs fine sanding, bit of primer and paint.
I have a contact up here that can get you discount on paint.

I know how much you love the bike and appreciate you looking after the beauty so well  ;D ;D

Already pulled the trigger on a new one Jon, I'll sell this one when the new one arrives to help offset some of the cost, probably the delta would be close to having my paint guy make this one perfect so oh well...

Lesson learned, don't park so close to the brick wall next time...  :-[

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2012, 09:40:26 PM »
Just trade it in and get a new black bike.
Joel from Maine.

Taff

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2012, 09:40:47 PM »

Already pulled the trigger on a new one Jon, I'll sell this one when the new one arrives to help offset some of the cost, probably the delta would be close to having my paint guy make this one perfect so oh well...

Lesson learned, don't park so close to the brick wall next time...  :-[

No probs Jay  ;D, just let me know if you need any help.
You wouldn't think that a brick wall would cause that amount of damage  :(

Later.
Jon