Author Topic: Steve's Updated Hammer vs. MRP Flash  (Read 679 times)

Offline Thunderlizard

Steve's Updated Hammer vs. MRP Flash
« on: July 01, 2021, 11:23:26 AM »
Let me start by saying what I write is my opinion, and I felt led to share it with the hope that it would help someone else, as so much on this forum has helped me.

Why I bought a Concours and sold my Stratoliner: the Strat had tons of power/low-end torque and was a great Interstate machine, as well as a fairly competent curve handler, despite weighing over 900 lbs. But after 30K miles in about 4 years, I realized what I enjoy most is the curves, and more specifically, the feeling I get when I roll on hard coming out of a turn, the bike compresses, and you feel like you're being sling-shot into the straightaway. Could my Strat do this? Sort of...but it's not the same...
When I approach a turn, I pick my line as I downshift (and trail brake), lay into it, and get on the throttle as soon as possible to exit the turn and feel that compression slingshot I love. That's my riding style, whether others agree or disagree - it serves me well.  I like to downshift, I like the mid-upper range this amazing machine has to offer, and I look to make the most of that when I get into it in the curves. What I found, however, is that added engine braking makes this clumsy for me. I want the engine RPMs from the downshift to do the braking, not an artificial fuel cut. I want to control that with my throttle input and can adjust accordingly if left to my own devices, but when the ECU does it for me, I feel like I fight it (or it fights me?), making me rougher, more unsettled, in the turns. I find I paid more attention to keeping the throttle happy than I should.  This was different from previous bikes I've owned and ridden. This was one of my struggles with the MRP tune.
Next, when I roll the throttle or just give it a nudge, I don't want to have to adjust my expectation of the result based upon where I am in the throttle. In other words, I want a 10-degree movement at 5% throttle to do the same thing as a 10-degree movement at 25% throttle. With the curve that's built into the MRP (and MR), the response is not linear - it changes based upon where you are in the throttle, being flat down low and getting steeper as you go further into the throttle range. I liken this to the old Nautilus weight machines, where the curl was easy at first and got harder and harder the more you lifted it up (...yes, I'm 57...) And even though total power is the same, in my mind it makes the bike feel less powerful down low because you have to roll the throttle more to get it to do what you want. Once you get past the flat curve part, it takes off like a scalded cat, but getting there took too much roll, in my mind.
Having said these things, the MRP really woke the bike up and helped considerably with shifting and low-speed maneuvers, but the remaining engine braking and the Nautilus-like throttle response were not ideal for me and the way I ride.  So I called Steve and we talked.
The net result was he flashed my ECU with a slightly modded version of the Hammer Premium, with a little tweak in valve timing and added fuel. The net result for me was magical! Shifting is so much smoother without the engine braking because now the motor "coasts" a bit when you come off the throttle, so when you shift up or down, the engine and clutch can catch up to each other more easily, without me having to constantly look for that sweet spot. Again, much smoother. The throttle response is now linear, so no matter where I am in the throttle range, the response is the same for the amount of input (roll) I give. Way more predictable for me. And it feels so much more crisp and powerful, which makes more sense for me.
Last week I took the bike on a 900 mile trip to St. Augustine, down the highways and byways of South Carolina, and Georgia, and I had a blast! Speeds and roads varied from 70 MPH cruising to 30 MPH curves on backcountry roads (I took the lonnngggg way  ;D ). I could not have been happier with the response, smooth shifts, downshift control, and flat-out seat-of-the-pants zip from this amazing machine. For me, this now feels and acts the way I thought it would from the start.
In my discussion with Steve, he indicated that there are those who ride the curves who prefer less downshifting, and want a softer touch on the throttle, much like that of a Throttle Tamer. I understand this and am in no way suggesting one way is better/worse, right or wrong. Everybody's riding style is different, as are our likes, dislikes, expectations, and perceptions, and that doesn't;t make one better than the other. All I can say is the Hammer Premium rings the bell for me on all counts. Butter smooth throttle response but with beast-like power from idle to redline, easier/smoother shifts, more predictable downshift deceleration, and quicker response to throttle roll-on. For me, this adds up to nothing but "woohoo's" and grins!
Additional note to add - I was expecting a decrease in fuel economy with added fuel, but to my pleasant surprise, I averaged 45 mpg on my 900-mile trip. Hard to fathom that much power, response, and fun, whilst still getting 45 MPG. Way to go Steve!
A final thought to share, Steve is a very intelligent, dedicated, and passionate man who is obviously well-experienced and great at what he does. At times, as is the case with many intelligent and experienced folk, he can get a bit ahead of you in trying to figure out what you want. I believe this comes mostly from his desire to give you what's best for you. So my best advice is to take the time to tell Steve what you value most and don't muddy the waters with things not important to you, and he will give you a flash that will make you even happier you bought a Concours.
I never ride alone...my Lord and Savior is always with me.

2016 GTR1400 Silver, Shoodaben Hammer Flash! Puig Windshield, AVT PullBack Risers, Grabon Covers, AVT Peg Lowers, Wireless Phone Ram Mount, Canyon Bars with Foot Pegs, Sheepskin Saddle cover, AST Backrest and luggage rack... More to come...
Instagram: markjamesholland

Offline connie_rider

Re: Steve's Updated Hammer vs. MRP Flash
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2021, 08:52:10 AM »
Great posting with a clear explanation!

Ride safe, Ted