Author Topic: LED Eagle Eye Lamps  (Read 6133 times)

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
LED Eagle Eye Lamps
« on: February 03, 2015, 08:00:19 AM »
Good morning.

When I first got the Concours, I bought a pair of BikeViz LED Bullets:
http://www.bikevis.com/motorcycle-led-running-lights.html

I was going to put them under the mirrors, but decided I didn't like running the wires to get there since I fold the mirrors every time I ride (when I put the bike back in the garage). I put them just above the front wheel, and most of my riding buddies don't even know they are there since they get washed out by the headlights.

I decided to pick up a pair of the amber colored Eagle Eye lamps I found on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CU1SYJQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have not installed them yet, but can say, they are brighter and emit a wider light pattern than the LED Bullets. I am planning on mounting them on the reflector brackets by the front axle. They are not made to light up the road, but to allow me to be seen better. They are nice and lightweight, so there should be no problem with breaking the brackets like some have had with the bigger LED lights.

I may have to put a resistor in line if they are too bright though.

Anyone else use these yet?
Scott
ZX-6D --> CBR600F3 --> TL1000R --> Concours 14
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips

Offline RBX QB

Re: LED Eagle Eye Lamps
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 10:26:51 AM »
Have something similar on my bench waiting for a install... but white (I prefer the amber).

Being such a cheap economical unit, how does the build quality look? These appear a better option for my purposes (visibility over light output).
2011 Concours 14 ABS
2̶0̶0̶6̶ ̶D̶u̶c̶a̶t̶i̶ ̶M̶o̶n̶s̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶S̶2̶R̶D̶  SOLD

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 10:35:55 AM »
They seem like they are decently built. The lens (it sure seems to be a lens) seems to be solidly made. I don't think it's glass, but should handle clean-up of bugs and road grime just fine. It is an aluminum body with a steel nut. I hooked one up to a 12v battery I have (little battery for remotes or something) and it was really bright and didn't feel good looking directly at it. I can try to get some images of the light pattern when I am home later today.
Scott
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips

elp_jc

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2015, 12:17:25 PM »
Why not just get bright amber LEDs as 'city lights'? That's the perfect location for visibility, and no need to add anything. A member here has them, and are very visible. I ordered white ones, but amber are probably more visible due to the contrast. Just a thought. Good luck.

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2015, 12:43:18 PM »
Why not just get bright amber LEDs as 'city lights'? That's the perfect location for visibility, and no need to add anything. A member here has them, and are very visible. I ordered white ones, but amber are probably more visible due to the contrast. Just a thought. Good luck.
Because I have light where those are already, I am trying to get the light lower, so as to increase the triangle of light.
Scott

Offline RBX QB

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2015, 12:55:18 PM »

If these lenses are anything like the white ones I have sitting around, they drastically intensify the output of the LED (mine just flood with no discernable focus)... much more visible than what a City Light can do. Tho, these do make me wonder if they could be retrofit into the location of the City Lights... that would be interesting... but wouldn't help with a light triangle as SV stated above.
2011 Concours 14 ABS
2̶0̶0̶6̶ ̶D̶u̶c̶a̶t̶i̶ ̶M̶o̶n̶s̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶S̶2̶R̶D̶  SOLD

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2015, 02:59:15 PM »
Why not just get bright amber LEDs as 'city lights'?

Because there aren't any made.  There are whole threads on that.  The LED's that do fit that form factor, especially amber, are either not as bright or almost as bright.  I just recently switched from amber incandescent city lights to amber LED because someone found some that are ALMOST as bright as incandescent.  Hardly worth the change.

That's the perfect location for visibility

I disagree.  It is better to have a larger profile, which means having more running lights spaced further apart.

Then there is this:  http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=2236.0
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2015, 07:35:29 PM »
Looking at the stock brackets again, I am going to try to make brackets that will attach to the stock bracket (I am thinking a button head screw will be thin enough to fit UNDER the bracket, since there are two holes and some space before the cast piece behind it) and bend out and around the fender. I may decide to angle it slightly out, to allow it to be seen from the sides as well, but we will see.
The leads are not as long as I think they should be, only about 24"

And the color is more of a light yellow, but I don't have a problem with that:

It does have a very broad coverage:

And here is an example of the light it puts out:

I don't know when I will get around to getting these on the bike.
Scott

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2015, 09:17:48 PM »
Looking at the stock brackets again, I am going to try to make brackets that will attach to the stock bracket (I am thinking a button head screw will be thin enough to fit UNDER the bracket, since there are two holes and some space before the cast piece behind it) and bend out and around the fender. I may decide to angle it slightly out, to allow it to be seen from the sides as well, but we will see.
The leads are not as long as I think they should be, only about 24"

I assume the strange green light in the photos is just an unusual effect of your camera in the bright light?
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

elp_jc

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2015, 12:56:15 AM »
I disagree. It is better to have a larger profile, which means having more running lights spaced further apart.
You're talking about 2 separate things man. The 'city lights' are right where the headlights are, and therefore the 'perfect' location for visibility. That you want even more lighting is a different story. I personally don't believe in that; you can put aircraft landing lights and some people still won't 'see you'. I simply ride defensively, use bright helmet (and sometimes gear), and my bikes are not dark (wife's request ;D). But this is one subject where 'to each his own'. I even removed the ugly reflectors, while others add more ;). By the way, there're VERY bright 194 LED bulbs that perfectly fit there; check superbrightLEDs, VLEDs, etc. I just put 'cool white' city lights which are about 1/3 of the highest intensity available, and are way brighter than the pathetic little incandescent bulbs from the factory. With the headlights on, I don't think are necessary, and don't want to risk damage due to heat. But if you want bright ones, there're many, in both amber and white. Take care.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2015, 06:07:15 AM »
You're talking about 2 separate things man. The 'city lights' are right where the headlights are, and therefore the 'perfect' location for visibility.

Not really, they are drown out by the headlights.

That you want even more lighting is a different story. I personally don't believe in that; you can put aircraft landing lights and some people still won't 'see you'.

I didn't say to add lots of blinding lights.  I said a larger profile is the most important- having the lights separated as widely as possible makes you a larger vehicle and easier to see.  This has been proven effective in controlled studies.

city lights which are about 1/3 of the highest intensity available, and are way brighter than the pathetic little incandescent bulbs from the factory.

Not in amber- they are rarely even as bright as incandecent

With the headlights on, I don't think are necessary,

That is why I changed them to amber, so they would serve a purpose with the headlights on

and don't want to risk damage due to heat. But if you want bright ones, there're many, in both amber and white. Take care.

There are many, but not that are brighter.

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2015, 06:58:44 AM »
I assume the strange green light in the photos is just an unusual effect of your camera in the bright light?
Yes, it is a light yellow color, more like what you see in the second and third photo.
No hot-spot to the light, just a very even, spread out glow.
Scott