Author Topic: Made my own tinted shorty C14 windshield.  (Read 16198 times)

Offline Sgt Mac

Re: Made my own tinted shorty C14 windshield.
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2012, 03:42:03 PM »
I was wondering the same thing. How do you guys cut those wind shields down like that? Tape and a dremel or what? Me thinks you'd need a steady hand for that so there must be another way to get such clean lines...

I'm cheap. I stole the step stool out of my daughters bathroom, it has an oblong hand hole cut into the top step. Flipped my jigsaw upside down and screwed the basplate to the bottom side of the top step which allowed the blade to stick just far enough out of the hole. Taped up the shield, drew my line, cut away and then went to work with a file and sandpaper.

Only picture I have, covered in bug guts but you get the point. Its not pretty or perfect by any means but I have yet to polish it. It fits the bill and I'm just going to tint or paint it anyway.

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2012, 03:51:41 PM »
Tape both sides, cut with jigsaw, finish with flat file and sandpaper.   Sound familiar?  :)  The first cut I did with the w/s off the bike, the 2nd cut with it installed.  My son helped hold it to control any movement/flapping.  It would take more work to make it perfect, but taking care with the marker, jigsaw and file yields decent results.  Someone looking for unevenness would spot it, but "normal" people would not likely notice it.  It is smooth/even enough that I'm not aware of the imperfections when riding the bike.
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Offline Bikeman875

« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2012, 04:21:20 PM »
Got the tint spray today cant wait to try it, thanks for the idea.
2011 C14
2007 Ducati 1098
1996 Honda VFR
2010 Honda VFR1200 DCT Auto

Offline Bikeman875

« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2012, 04:25:44 PM »
I'm cheap. I stole the step stool out of my daughters bathroom, it has an oblong hand hole cut into the top step. Flipped my jigsaw upside down and screwed the basplate to the bottom side of the top step which allowed the blade to stick just far enough out of the hole. Taped up the shield, drew my line, cut away and then went to work with a file and sandpaper.

Looks good. I have a band saw at work so it makes it easy just free handed it and it came out ok
2011 C14
2007 Ducati 1098
1996 Honda VFR

Offline Conrad

« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2012, 06:22:54 AM »
Took a little over 4 inches off of mine IIRC.  Used tailight tint spray and it is ready for refinishing after a year and a half of use (I use it from May-September).

I put my cut down stocker back on a couple of weeks ago. It makes a huge difference for me in the heat. Mine looks pretty much like Jeremy's above. Not only does the shield allow more clean air to hit my upper body but it also seems to change the air flow around the bike in general. I seem to get more air on my legs as well. The first time that I cut it I didn't take off much. The second time I cut it, for a total of ~4" it was perfect. I used a band saw and cutting it was a piece of cake.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2012, 09:51:57 AM »
I put my cut down stocker back on a couple of weeks ago. It makes a huge difference for me in the heat. Mine looks pretty much like Jeremy's above. Not only does the shield allow more clean air to hit my upper body but it also seems to change the air flow around the bike in general. I seem to get more air on my legs as well. The first time that I cut it I didn't take off much. The second time I cut it, for a total of ~4" it was perfect. I used a band saw and cutting it was a piece of cake.

I think I was mistaken on my numbers.  I actually took off more than four inches, my shield is about an inch and a half taller than the dash if that tells you anything.

The air flow is awesome!  I just used this shield for my long trip up to the U.P. and it worked out great even though I spent a ton of time on the interstate.  Ear plugs made it a much more enjoyable experience.  There is no buffeting around my head and when the shield is all the way up and it blocks the air all the way up to my shoulders.  With it all the way down I get great flow and can feel the "breeze" cooling my armpits quite nicely.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline BigAlan

« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2012, 10:34:03 AM »
I have a couple of surface scratches on my screen, is it possible to polish these out with cutting paste and a rotary polisher before tinting the screen?

I like the idea of having two screens,one for the summer and one for the winter.

Alan
2011 in Black

Offline Bikeman875

« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2012, 03:25:48 PM »
Well I got the shorty tinted and I like the looks of it better. I used the spray tint method and it came out pretty good. You can't see through it but you never need to either. After a few weeks of riding with it I am really happy I cut it down. I recommend this mod for anyone riding on the really warm days. I think I will still buy a biggie CAl SI to put on when it starts getting cool here in the fall. I like the way the air hits you much better with the shorty much more than the stock. It was worth trashing the stock shield and personally like the look of the bike better with this shield. A good experiment overall.
2011 C14
2007 Ducati 1098
1996 Honda VFR

Offline Bikeman875

« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2012, 03:28:17 PM »
Also got my GPS and detector mounts finished up as well.
2011 C14
2007 Ducati 1098
1996 Honda VFR

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2012, 06:17:12 PM »
Well I got the shorty tinted and I like the looks of it better. I used the spray tint method and it came out pretty good. You can't see through it but you never need to either. After a few weeks of riding with it I am really happy I cut it down. I recommend this mod for anyone riding on the really warm days. I think I will still buy a biggie CAl SI to put on when it starts getting cool here in the fall. I like the way the air hits you much better with the shorty much more than the stock. It was worth trashing the stock shield and personally like the look of the bike better with this shield. A good experiment overall.

I wish some company MADE a shorty like these.   I would buy one.  I don't have the tools to cut one, and I am sure I would ruin it, anyway.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Bikeman875

« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2012, 06:44:12 PM »
I wish some company MADE a shorty like these.   I would buy one.  I don't have the tools to cut one, and I am sure I would ruin it, anyway.

Thats not really a bad idea, I could work up a price for you but I think that with what I would have to pay for a stock shield and the materials and shipping it would prob be too much. I thikn you would have to do it on a large scale but I think it would be a good product to sell.
2011 C14
2007 Ducati 1098
1996 Honda VFR

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2012, 07:46:48 PM »
Thats not really a bad idea, I could work up a price for you but I think that with what I would have to pay for a stock shield and the materials and shipping it would prob be too much. I thikn you would have to do it on a large scale but I think it would be a good product to sell.

It would probably make sense for a company that already sells C-14 windshields, though.  And being a much smaller form should allow them to sell if for much less than their full windshields.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2012, 07:55:09 PM »
Max, Calsci makes a tinted shorty that might work for you.
http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Concoursprod.html

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2012, 04:17:22 AM »
I don't have the tools to cut one, and I am sure I would ruin it, anyway.

Do you have a spare OEM shield to cut down? If so, I could bring my tools to your place and we can cut it down. Now I will not say that we wouldn't ruin it, as it's a try and see sort of thing. But nothing ventured, nothing gained. Also, I'd let you try my shortened shield so you'd feel how the air flow is.
The Pope
2011 C-14 Atomic Silver...... aka ImprovedSilverDammIt.

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2012, 06:20:26 AM »
Do you have a spare OEM shield to cut down? If so, I could bring my tools to your place and we can cut it down. Now I will not say that we wouldn't ruin it, as it's a try and see sort of thing. But nothing ventured, nothing gained. Also, I'd let you try my shortened shield so you'd feel how the air flow is.

very noble offer from the The Pope   ^^^^^^^^^^^
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline jjsC6

« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2012, 07:08:48 AM »
Max, Calsci makes a tinted shorty that might work for you.
http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Concoursprod.html

I bought that.  It is actually taller than a 08/09 windshield.  I plan to cut mine down a lot more.  I'm not really happy with it.  It buffets too much.
Jim
2010 Concours - Sold Feb 2013
Current bikes....
2011 Ninja 1000, 2013 BMW 1600 GT, 2012 Ducati Panigale

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2012, 07:29:05 AM »
I bought that.  It is actually taller than a 08/09 windshield.  I plan to cut mine down a lot more.  I'm not really happy with it.  It buffets too much.
Wasn't aware of that. I cut 4" of my '08 stocker. The folks at Calsci may custom cut the shorty.

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2012, 07:48:12 AM »

Add the Cal Sci cutout to it. That's what I did to my cut down screen.
The Pope
2011 C-14 Atomic Silver...... aka ImprovedSilverDammIt.

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2012, 08:58:19 AM »

Here's what mine looks like with ~4" cut off. I used the stock shield as a template for the cut.

[smg id=349]

Hey Max, you saw Pope's offer to come over and cut yours down, nice! I'll put an offer out there as well. If you pay for shipping both ways I'll cut yours down for you using my band saw. That thing goes through these shields like butter. I'll even clean the edge up real nice before I send it back to you.  PM me if you're interested.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2012, 04:09:31 PM »

Wow- that is really generous, especially considering you are pretty far away.  I actually don't have a spare shield either, though.  I suppose I could buy an expensive new calsci or try to locate a stock one that someone no longer wants (although I have a feeling that would be difficult).