Author Topic: Economical Comfort - seat  (Read 17239 times)

Offline Logansrun

Economical Comfort - seat
« on: May 23, 2011, 07:39:31 PM »

There was probably a ton of great info in the old posts (now lost) on this topic... so sorry to ask. But I'm a new Connie 14 owner and hope to find a low cost option for improving a sore tailbone for long rides. Someday I'll shoot for an aftermarket seat or I'll ship my seat to http://greatdaytoride.com/Home_Page.php for re-work.

But I've been wondering if BeadRider bead covers or sheep (or goat) skin covers are worth it? I'm more interested on the comfort side and not the heat part as I'm cold natured.

Any experiences there?

2011 Concours C14 (Black)

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
Re: Economical Comfort - seat
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 07:46:28 PM »
Me too......

Offline Mcferek

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 08:43:13 PM »
I had Spenser make my seat more neutral (less lean angle into tank) and had him add the Supracor to improve the quality of the padding.  I really like the modification.  It added a few more hours of comfortable riding each day.  I use an Alaska Leather sheep skin in cooler months and a Beadrider in the warm summer months.  After months of research I found Spenser's mods and the seat covers to be the perfect combination for my needs.

If you are only going to buy one cover I'd start with the sheepskin.  It provides warmth when it's cold and little bit of cooling when it's hot.  The beads are great on really hot days.

I hope this helps.

Derek     
Dress for the fall not the ride.

Offline blanton

• Rural East TEXAS
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 09:01:46 PM »
I do a few things that help. First I removed the two rear rubber bumpers on the seat pan, leave the two frount. Helps a little. I use a dence foam pad bought from a sporting goods,cut to shape,they are made for dear stands. I use it when things get bad. But what I do that helps me the most is to stand up on the pegs for a while. I use to only stand when traffic was clear, now I do not care..........blanton
77 KZ900 (still riding) 05 C10, 2010 C14

Offline blanton

• Rural East TEXAS
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 09:18:27 PM »
Logansrun, I have and do use the beads in the summer, never tried the sheepskin. Things that did not work out, bubble packing,sewing foot insoles onto boxer briefs,and I probaly bought the only pair of Saddleman anti monkey-but shorts.........blanton

Offline Aussie in AZ

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 09:26:43 PM »
Logansrun, I have and do use the beads in the summer, never tried the sheepskin. Things that did not work out, bubble packing,sewing foot insoles onto boxer briefs,and I probaly bought the only pair of Saddleman anti monkey-but shorts.........blanton

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

I just spit my beer mate

Aussie
Watch out for wombats on country roads at night!

'89 GPX 250.  '80 GSX 1100 EX.  '93 ZXR 750. '04 R6.  '81 CX 500. '82 Guzzi with side car.  '04 BMW Rockster. '09 Concours 14. '86 KDX 200.  '96 XR 100.  '92 PW 80

Offline blanton

• Rural East TEXAS
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2011, 09:31:53 PM »
Aussie in Az, you know I could not make that stuff up. I saw the add for the Saddlemans and thought I could do my own. Turns out they both was duds.........blanton

Offline curly

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2011, 06:34:10 AM »
I feel your pain. I just sent mine off to Spencer. I hope it works for me because I really don't want to shell out $400+ for a new seat that may or may not work.

On my Buell the Beadrider beads worked great but on the Connie not so good >:( My butts future is in the hands of Spencer at this point.
Confidence is the feeling you have before you realize the full measure of the situation.

'09 in Black.

Offline Logansrun

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2011, 06:55:07 AM »
I feel your pain. I just sent mine off to Spencer. I hope it works for me because I really don't want to shell out $400+ for a new seat that may or may not work...

Please let us know how it turns out! I'll probably ship mine to Spencer during a week that I know I'll be out of town, etc.

Offline CrashGordon

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2011, 07:00:09 AM »
Spencer mod is definitely worth the small price tag.  I've done one 400 mile day since I got mine and it still hurt, but not as quickly. Note that Spencer says it'll break in after a while--I still haven't put that many hours in the saddle since I had it done. I'd give anything to try a Russell for a long day, though.

Offline So Cal Joe

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2011, 08:23:09 AM »
I have the seat beads from my Gold Wing, I don't think they help at all, I have a Baldwin seat an my  09 Concours and about 2 weeks back I was on a 6 day trip and didn't do a lot of miles per day ( slow very twisty roads) but  did spend a lot of time per day on the bike it gets better each time I ride it,

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once

Offline jayke

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2011, 10:25:32 AM »
Try a sheepskin.  Not perfect but they help.  Padded bicycle shorts help too. However I still stand up some and I have a custom seat under the sheepskin.  Apparently I was born with a bony ass.

I bought the one below, cut it roughly to shape and had my wife sew on straps so it didn't fly off.

http://www.alaskaleatheronline.com/servlet/the-30/Full-Pelt-Rally-Special/Detail
Use deadsheep as the discount code when you check out to save a few bucks.

Offline Logansrun

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2011, 01:09:59 PM »
Thanks all, the feedback has been quite helpful.
No one has reported any experience with the AirHawk, and I still wonder if those are helpful at all.

Offline Mal

• Arena
  • There is no spoon...
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2011, 01:23:17 PM »
Thanks all, the feedback has been quite helpful.
No one has reported any experience with the AirHawk, and I still wonder if those are helpful at all.

The airhawks work quite well, but are miserable in high temperatures, at least mine was. Also, it is extremely easy to over fill an airhawk, most don't understand that the amount of air needs to only slightly more than what it takes so that you're not touching the seat, and no more....
`09 ZG-1400
Western Colorado

"It is not the business of government to make men virtuous or religious, or to preserve the fool from the consequences of his own folly. Government should be repressive no further than is necessary to secure liberty by protecting the equal rights of each from aggression on the part of others" —Henry George

Offline 2wheeltripn

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2011, 02:10:29 PM »
Spencer did mine also. Just did a 1700 mile trip down the California coast with the wife. The first day we did almost 350 mi. and the second day over 250 and we were both good to go. This was a BIG improvement over the stocker. If you want to get a HT Moto cover for looks Spencer will put it on for free.

Offline OregonLAN

« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2011, 02:40:38 PM »
Spencer did mine also. Just did a 1700 mile trip down the California coast with the wife. The first day we did almost 350 mi. and the second day over 250 and we were both good to go. This was a BIG improvement over the stocker. If you want to get a HT Moto cover for looks Spencer will put it on for free.

That's what I'm doing. I ordered my seat cover today...

Here are a couple pictures of the seat without the cover.

Offline Armyguns

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2011, 04:30:50 PM »
I recommend Spencer's.  Had him do a reshape for both front and rear sections to remove the forward slope, and add the Supracore LD treatment.  Best $90 I've spent on the bike so far. 
2010 C14 ABS

Offline 2wheeltripn

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2011, 05:17:15 PM »
The stock seat cover is almost as ugly as the potato gun ;D

Offline Logansrun

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2011, 05:35:22 PM »
The stock seat cover is almost as ugly as the potato gun ;D

Nice!!

Offline DocPigskin

• I'm kind of a big deal
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2011, 07:26:19 PM »
Don't have the beads personally but 2 of the guys I ride with have them and love them.   Cheap option to try.