Author Topic: throttle on-off jerkiness  (Read 10468 times)

Offline Barry

• Arena
Re: throttle on-off jerkiness
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2011, 05:27:20 AM »
G2 Throttle Tamer = best money spent on bike yet.
Tail of the Dragon at Deal's Gap... Avoid it now, do a trackday.

Area P full exhaust, PC-V, Autotune, filter, flys out.

Offline Mad River Marc

• The Kipass shall inherit the earth
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2011, 06:10:15 AM »
I have it on my 2010,   The heated grips are NOT a problem as long as you pay attention to the orientation of the wire for the heat so it doesn't bind...(Just make sure it's in the same position when you put the grips back on..)  I used a blowgun to get the stock grips off the original tube and onto the tamer,  Literally a 15 minute install

Offline Conrad

« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2011, 07:32:59 AM »

Mmmmm.... throttle snatch!  :P

Down boy!
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline dw4402

« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2011, 07:27:00 PM »
The biggest problem with FI motors is that with zero throttle, you get zero fuel injected.
With carbs there is always some fuel going through.
So the transition from no fuel to some fuel is a bit of a jolt.

I always thought that even at idle the fuel injectors were still injecting fuel into the motor to keep it running. Guess you learn something new everyday.  :-[
David K. Williams
08 C14

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2011, 08:08:52 PM »
You could remove a little material from the opening drum surface on the original throttle tube but for it to be correct, that same amount of material should be added to the return side of the drum to maintain even cable slack as the throttle is opened. Also I believe a throttle tamer not only initially opens the throttle slower but actually opens the throttle faster as throttle travel approaches full throttle (WOT). That way it alters the way the throttle is opened while keeping the total throttle travel the same as stock.

Brian

I bought one, but haven't tried to install it yet.  I was wondering what the difference in ramp angle is, and if you could just shave down the cable guide slot to improve the stock one.  One of these days I'll get time to look at it all...   ::)
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Conrad

« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2011, 06:27:08 AM »
I always thought that even at idle the fuel injectors were still injecting fuel into the motor to keep it running. Guess you learn something new everyday.  :-[

So where's the fuel coming from at idle?
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2011, 11:06:49 AM »

That was bad info.
As long as the engine is running, the injectors are firing and providing fuel.  No fuel = no engine turning.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2011, 11:59:18 AM »
You could remove a little material from the opening drum surface on the original throttle tube but for it to be correct, that same amount of material should be added to the return side of the drum to maintain even cable slack as the throttle is opened. Also I believe a throttle tamer not only initially opens the throttle slower but actually opens the throttle faster as throttle travel approaches full throttle (WOT). That way it alters the way the throttle is opened while keeping the total throttle travel the same as stock.

Brian

That is an interesting thought, but I think unnecessary.  I suspect the amount of slack introduced to the decelerator cable by a slight change in initial ramp angle of the accelerator cable would not be enough to warrant adding any material to the guide slot of the decelerator cable.

It probably would affect how the throttle cable adjustment procedure was done though, meaning you would need to leave a little slack in the decelerator cable when fully closed, as the two cables would be fighting each other once the throttle was opened past the point that was modified.

Something to think about I guess.   ;)

As for the change in ramp rate at later throttle opening, I'll have to check into that too.  I don't mind the stock opening rate, just the light switch response from full closed to when you first crack the throttle.  To be honest, I still think it's a miss-adjustment with the TPS, which may be cured by a very attentive TB sync.
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2011, 01:05:29 PM »
Has anyone with a Electronic cruise control removed all or almost all of the play? I noticed the play (slop) when I installed my CC but I didn't adjust it thinking that the Rostra would need the slop so it wasn't fighting my hand pressure when making  throttle adjustments.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2011, 01:52:17 PM »
Has anyone with a Electronic cruise control removed all or almost all of the play? I noticed the play (slop) when I installed my CC but I didn't adjust it thinking that the Rostra would need the slop so it wasn't fighting my hand pressure when making  throttle adjustments.

Generally, a vacuum based cruise control will only "pull" on the throttle to open it and gain more speed, or just release the pull to decelerate.  It cannot actively "close" the throttle like you can with your hand (because of the dual cables- open and close).  So the CC would never be fighting you, unless you tried to CLOSE the throttle while it was activated.  And you should never do that (just use the brakes and the brake sensor will cut it off)!  If you are trying to open the throttle more than the set point, the CC will just go slack trying to reduce the speed... at some point it should notice it is not effective and just shut itself off (typically based on RPM sensor).
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2011, 04:09:02 PM »
By fighting me I was referring to just my grasp on the grip, not me trying to change the speed. I'm not saying I'm grabbing it in panic vise grip mode all the time. I try to ride relaxed but my grip does vary and the secondary reason I wanted a cruise control is so I could set it and forget it and just concentrate on what the cagers, truckers, tire carcasses, rolled up rugs are doing in my intended path.  Before I was spending way to much of my time checking my speed and adjusting it back down and rarely back up. If I'm inadvertently holding open the throttle when the CC is backing off (I'm speeding once again) then I'm not getting what I want. I'm not trying to get this thread off of throttle jerkiness, I was just curious if those with an electronic CC leave the cables a little loose or keep 'em tight. I have a feeling that this is another case where I won't be able to have my cake and eat it too. I'll probably have to just grip the bar end on the super slabs.

Offline Mad River Marc

• The Kipass shall inherit the earth
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2011, 08:37:08 PM »
I have an electronic CC and I have my free play adjusted per the manual (3mm I think)  works fine...

Offline marku8a

« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2011, 01:58:28 PM »
Add me to the list recommending the Throttle Tamer. The install was 10 minutes. The most hassle was getting the grip off/on. I use compressed air and it still required a bit of wrestling. I can't imagine how it can be done otherwise.

I rode with it yesterday and noticed a big improvement. I purposely opened and closed the throttle several times in a ham fisted way in turns. I am very please with the results.

Mark
2009 C14 Red
Fly_ectomy, K&N Filter, Oxford Heated Grips, PC V, Full Area P Exhaust
How far can a person run into a forest?

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2011, 02:30:51 PM »
Add me to the list recommending the Throttle Tamer. The install was 10 minutes. The most hassle was getting the grip off/on. I use compressed air and it still required a bit of wrestling. I can't imagine how it can be done otherwise.......

can of Gumout, slip the red snooter tube under the grip at the end, spritz, twist and pull....instant off.
same for replacing, spritz till wet, slip it on......wait 10 minutes and it's dry....
never use WD40.....for removal, or as many people claim, hairspray as an install assist/glue, as it will slip when it gets wet.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline marku8a

« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2011, 03:29:02 PM »
can of Gumout, slip the red snooter tube under the grip at the end, spritz, twist and pull....instant off.
same for replacing, spritz till wet, slip it on......wait 10 minutes and it's dry....
never use WD40.....for removal, or as many people claim, hairspray as an install assist/glue, as it will slip when it gets wet.

Thanks for the Gumout tip. I will give that a try the next time. I have used hairspray on grips for mountain bikes. It's very easy to install. I have had mixed results on removal.

Mark
2009 C14 Red
Fly_ectomy, K&N Filter, Oxford Heated Grips, PC V, Full Area P Exhaust
How far can a person run into a forest?