Author Topic: K & N air filter and slip on exhaust - with nothing else?  (Read 3236 times)

Offline mstetson

K & N air filter and slip on exhaust - with nothing else?
« on: June 27, 2011, 12:19:19 PM »
My 2009 only has a Two Brothers slip-on exhaust.  The mechanic at the Kawi dealer told me that to install the K & N air filter would require a Power Commander.  This doesn't sound right to me.  I have a PT Cruiser with a K & N air filter and aftermarket exhaust and nothing else. 

Do any of you have the K & N and slip on exhaust without changing or adding anything?

Offline mcclaskeyj

• Adventure...redefined
Re: K & N air filter and slip on exhaust - with nothing else?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 12:25:21 PM »
I've got a very similar setup as you have and removed the PCV for a couple months and no problems whatsoever. I just had the PCV tuned and cleaned the K&N filter and reconnected everything and now it's having a hard time starting up in the morning.  >:(

I don't think you should have any problems with your current setup without the PCV.
'83 C70 Honda Passport   '06 Honda Rebel 250
'76 Kawasaki KZ400          '79 Suzuki GS1000L
'04 Kawasaki Ninja 250     '07 C14 ABS  '09 C14 Red                            '08 CRF230L
http://www.bikepics.com/members/mcclaskeyj/

Offline TRBN

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 12:29:21 PM »

I have put 27K miles on my '08 with the V&H CS One Slip-on and a K&H air filter without PCV with no problems.  If I pull the flies, I will consider the PCV, but not until then.

Aaron

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 02:10:53 PM »
The mechanic is full of it or he gets a commission on the sale of any accessories he convinces people to buy.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 04:26:17 PM »
Muzzys slip-on here and no PCV, no issues... I can't imagine swapping out the oem air filter for a K&N would make a big enough difference to warrant a PCV, seems sketchy to me...  ???

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 07:07:02 PM »
The "theory" is the K&N provides less restriction than stock, and combined with the slip on will increase the air flow through the engine enough to risk causing lean burn conditions.

Not sure I buy into the theory, but then I haven't changed the air filter away from the stock one yet, at least until I find out more.
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline Mighty

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2011, 10:11:59 AM »
The 14 runs rich from the factory.  I pulled my flies, went with a BMC Filter, PC5 and Two Bro's slip on.  The PC5 failed the first time out and I have been riding ever since.  The bike runs great.  I'm seriously thinking of not installing the PC5 once I get my new one from Fuel Moto.  For the record, I sent it in a month ago and have yet to hear anything.  BS.......
No Flies, PC V, BMC Air Filter, Two Brothers Carbon Fiber, Deep Tint Windshield, Gen Mar risers
Honda TRX700XX
Yamaha Warrior 1000cc 4 stroke Sled
68 Rag top Vette

Offline biggrumpy

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2011, 02:53:08 PM »
I have had the area p slip on and k and n in for about 23k and no problem, if anything judging from the black in the  exhaust pipe, I am still running rich.