Author Topic: Addressing the weak points  (Read 7131 times)

Offline Y0ssarian

• Arena
  • 97% chance of being hit by a piano
Addressing the weak points
« on: June 19, 2011, 11:51:48 PM »
   Well, I just got done with two decent rides in a few weeks and I got to thinking about what I might need or want to improve on. Small stuff, but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas in the following areas:

1. Toiletries. Right now I carry (travel-sized) toothpaste, a folding toothbrush, soap, shampoo, cotton swabs, bug spray, sunblock and Gold Bond powder in a fanny pack, and it's pretty handy. But I saw a guy at the campground with a nice roll-up thing that would have been perfect except it was too big. Anyone have any ideas? It would be nice if it was flexible, waterproof, fairly small and cheep and hold the wet bar of soap in a sealed area.

2. Monkey Butt. It's not funny; it f'n hurts. I use Gold Bond, but it seems like powder just delays the onset, instead of preventing it. Bicycle shorts? Specific motorcycle shorts? Shave my behindus? What works for you high-mileage guys?

3. Rain Gear. I have a banana yellow PVC 2-piece. It's 100% effective, but it's bulky, hot and takes up a lot of space in the bags. I'm almost all-set on this one; my buddy had a set of "Frogg Toggs", and they seem like just the ticket. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with them or a similar product.

4. Helmet. Is there any consensus on what makes a helmet quiet? I need a new lid soon, and I want something that lets me hear the music at 85mph or so. It has to have a lot to do with fit; what's the quietest helmet you've ever owned and how did it fit?

5. Anti-fog. The stuff I have seems to work exactly one day. I'd rather not bring any with me (that sounds like a recipe for a spill). Anyone know of something that works for a week or more?

6. Gloves. I have a great set of Alpinestar cool-weather gloves, but I got the Icon "Twenty-niner" gloves last year for warm weather and they're falling apart already. What's good in the way of a light, wrist-length ventilated glove? Decent protection, cool, cheep (heh...a theme), durable and...maybe not waterproof per se, but able to stand up to a drenching.

7. Tires. My Pirelli Angels will be toast soon...I'm thinking about a set of PR2's or PR3's, and I wanted to see if someone who has them can tell me how they are on rain grooves and bridge decks. The Angels have zero tendency to follow the pattern, and I was wondering how the Michelins were in that regard. I'm just assuming they're good in the rain too...am I wrong?

Both trips were mid-range; one from Syracuse to Long Island & back and the other from Sorrycuse to Laconia & back...350 miles or so each way. The bike never hiccuped, coughed, backfired or did anything but run perfectly at all times. I had to put 91 octane in at one fillup, but it didn't seem to make a difference, at least that I noticed. I haven't looked at my tires, but I think they're "end of life" about now. No matter what other bike I compare the C14 to, it's still the best in my mind. Price/value/capability and the Concours wins. It's amazing how small the bags are on some sport-touring bikes.
   I traded bikes with my buddy for the last 60 miles or so (08 Triumph Sprint ST); it has razor-sharp handling, but the severe tank hump, feet up under me and weird vibration put me off. That bike has the weirdest headlights; the one on one side always seems to be flashing yellow (When we followed my Sister she kept flashing her signal because she thought his was left on), and the other flashes blue, but less frequently.
   I learned that a light-colored shirt is a no-no on a trip; when the sun was in front of me the GPS screen was totally washed out. When I put my hand between the GPS and my shirt, the glare was gone.
   Only one "more-experienced American" tried to kill me by jumping a light; she had her window down, so I thanked her. Really; that's what I do...yell "Thank you!" and wave. Always doing the motorcycle PR thing...
   Oh, we (buddy and I) were stopped at a light in a small town, waiting to turn left. Just when I looked over to say something to my friend, a (not-at-all large of stature) guy with a Harley full-dresser tried to pull it off the sidestand to verticle. But he didn't stand it up far enough, and had already folded the sidestand. Bang.
The words of the prophets are written on the cylinder walls.

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
Re: Addressing the weak points
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 12:38:38 AM »
1) I picked up a 'tri-fold' gizmo, much like you describe, at a local camping good store. It's 'da bomb whenever I travel. Load in a few of those mini toiletries (shampoos, bar soaps, etc.) you get at the Hilton. Leave [whats left of] the wet bar of soap at the campground, break out a new one the next day.

2) Two words: Russell Day-Long. It's not really yer butt, rather the seat. Else get used to tightie whities (real tight) (and a pair of flannel boxers over).

3) Frog Toggs work OK behind the barn door fairing of the C-10, unsure of a C-14. Rain gear is bulky regardless.

4) Pleased with my retired Shoei RF-1000 and my new RF-1100, as long as the top vents are all closed. A bit more noise when open.

5) Spit, or crack the visor open just a skoosh. Nose/breath guard helps too, see Shoei above.

6) One word: Held. Not cheap, but very durable, even after multiple grinds on asphalt (don't ask, unless you're buying the beer)

7) Any tire that doesn't have a straight center groove will go where you point it. Am on my second/third PR-2 (front) on my C-10, 8k miles appears to be expected/average. For a C-10 ;)

Rick
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org

Offline Pynikal

• From power cruiser to power tourer.
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 06:46:48 AM »
this will be a very good thread with lots of information.  thanks for sharing! ;)
i will add to the list when i get more long haul miles on her.

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 06:53:03 AM »
Monkey Butt: Bicycle shorts with no padding and you wear those "commando" style.

Helmet: Arai. Nothing fits better and nothing is quieter.

Frog Togs work and pack small.

Anti-Fog stuff is designed to only last a day or so. Use an AF shield or just get used to applying more each day. Cat Crap works well, takes up hardly any room. Ditto Scott NF wipes that the dirt bike guys use.

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 06:55:25 AM »
I can help you with #2

I have spent alot of time in 120+ heat and the best investment I have ever made is Under Armor boxer briefs.  They will wick away any moisture and keep your boys very comfortable.  I never used Monkey Butt powder or Gold Bond and have never had a problem with chaffing. They have a flat panel in the crotch to eliminate wedgies, but they aren't cheap ($20 a pair) they are good enough that I have bought somewhere around 15 pairs of them and I won't wear anything else. 
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 07:29:28 AM »
5.  Buy the Pinlock System with either a Multitec, Schuberth, or Shark Modular for fogging.  Won't be the quietest but sure is flexible. 

Offline Tarheelbob

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2011, 07:46:20 AM »
#1 - nada

#2 - LD Comfort shorts or tights ( http://www.ldcomfort.com/ ). The serious long-distance guys (Iron Butt, etc.) swear by their products. Mario Winkleman owns the company, listens to the riders, and designs his stuff specifically for long-distance motorcycle comfort. Also, as Rick Hall aluded, get the best seat for your tush. Worth every penny.

#3 - Frogg Toggs have worked great for me, including some serious time riding in rain. On my second set. OTOH, my wife had a brand new pair that leaked like a sieve from day one and she went with something else.  ???

#4 - My Araia Profile is quieter than my older Shoei RF1000. Better fit helps. Earplugs work wonders on cutting the wind noise and reducing fatigue.

#5 - Pinlock shields are the only thing I have ever used that actually worked for anti-fog. Awesome. I wear glasses under my helmet and fogging up is a constant bitch in cold, damp weather. Every kind of snake oil application I ever applied still resulted in fogged up shields.

#6 - no help. I got cheapie ventilated gloves that work ok, but they are not going to last long.

#7 - Love the Pirelli Angels. May be tempted byt the PR3's if they deliver equal or better mileage based on reports of comparable dry weather performance and outstanding wet weather traction. Which I could use today...  :banghead:
When life hands you lemons, go get the tequila and salt.

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2011, 07:53:12 AM »
Good info indeed!

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2011, 08:01:36 AM »
I pack a toothbrush, toothpaste, small sample size of shampoo, deodorant, small container of body wash and I pack it all in a ziploc freezer bag.

I have a Baldwin saddle, and I only wear underarmour and pearl izumi cycling shorts "monkeybutt powder is excellent too"

I hate actual rain gear, my riding pants and jackets "are" my raingear.......waterproof gear is only way to go

Helmets are subjective, get one that fits ya......pay the price or buy it twice

Pinlocks are the best, but I have some Oneal anti-fog spray that works excellent

I am impressed with the Olympia Monsoon gloves, although they can be quite hot in warm weather

I love the Dunlop Roadsmarts, but I have a new set of Angels that I figured I would try before I stay with the Roadsmarts

2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline gflint

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2011, 08:56:13 AM »
1.  Zip locks - cheap, easy, versatile, replaceable.  Put everything in its own baggie in case of leaks.  Put all the little baggies in a big baggie.  Much cheaper and much more compact than a fancy REI dop kit.
2.  High end bicycle shorts or high quality running lycra like the Under-Armor suggested.  I also have a dead sheep skin on my saddle.
3.  I have the yellow banana super-cheap rain bibs and jacket.  Like $15 at Sportsman’s Warehouse.  Rolls up fairly small considering the price.  Very waterproof.  I wore it on a rainy day travelling through Seattle.  Not even my crotch got wet.  It was so wet that day I started to see animals lining up two-by-two.
4.  Ear plugs or good ear buds are the only solution.
5.  Crack the visor open.  My helmet has an anti-fog vent I can open.  It sometimes even works.
6.  Cheap is trial and error.  The good stuff is not cheap.
7.  I have PR2’s.  I have not found a situation where they do not work well.

Except for tires all my solutions are cheap.  My income requires cheap.
Keep it simple - if no one has shot at me or tried to blow me up it is a good day.

Offline JoeR

• COG 9284 / AMA 668669
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2011, 09:11:43 AM »
1. Zip Lock type bags, many different sizes, can't beat them, and they are cheap to replace.

2. I wear my bicycle shorts with padded chamois lining, wear a pair, carry a pair, alternate days.

3. I've had varying luck with Froggs Toggs, one set is ok, the zipper in the jacket gave up on the other one.  I have an HD rainsuit that works great, and is Hi Viz orange.

4. Can't help there, I wear the lightest FF helmet I can find, I'm sure it's not the quietest.

5. Anti fog stuff only works for a short time, and I find my glasses fog up before the face shield.  My helmet has 7 detents on the shield and I just prop it open to combat fogging.

6. Gloves, Lee Parks from Fox Creek made in USA gloves.  With the grip heaters these are true three season gloves.

7. PR3s, these things are awesome in the rain or dry.

Offline CrashGordon

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2011, 09:29:18 AM »
I'm only going to comment on a couple of your queries as they are the only one's I can give any good input on.

3. I have Nelson Rigg raingear and I've been in the drenching rain for hours with not a drop of water through them. My mesh jackets have all come with a rain liner and I've started using the NR pants with the jacket's top and leaving the NR top at home. Never had a problem, and it's much more streamlined than having a true rain jacket flapping like a sail. The pants are bib style that gives good overlap in the chest and they also have boot loops to keep them from riding up.

4. Helmet noise has to do with the vents (usually the brow vents) and fit around the bottom of the helmet. The quietest helmets tend to shield the neck area from wind entering the bottom of the helmet and (unfortunately) they tend not to vent as well. I've been wearing a Shoei RF-1000 for a couple of years now and I think it's a good compromise between quiet and cool. Schuberth is supposed to be awesome if you can afford it. The new Shoei Qwest is also supposed to be very good.

6. I'd love to find a pair of gloves that are both cool and waterproof--here in Texas, we need ventilation six months out of the year, and waterproof 10 months out of the year for fast forming thunderstorms. I'm resigned to having wet hands when it rains. That's the only part of me that gets wet. I use Teknic Chicane leather gloves and I really like them. I've had them for two years and they show no signs of wear and no problems with stitching. For the price, I've never had more durable gloves, but they are gauntlet style. They're as cool as a pair of solid leather gloves can be (which is not very) so I'm about to order some of the Chicane vented gloves to give them a try. They are wrist length and look to be much cooler than the ones I have. I hope they are as durable.

7. PR2s have proven to be great tires in all riding conditions.

Offline Stasch

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2011, 09:32:26 AM »
money butt - its no fun, especially when you've got a long day ahead of you.

don't wear cotton undies or jeans.  Synthetics, preferably performance fabrics that wick moisture away from you, are far better in minimizing this issue. 

I don't pack nor have I ever needed powder when wearing this type of clothing and never have to say:  'Will you please excuse me, I have to go powder my . . . . '
Stan Visser - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - > C10 STUFF FOR SALE - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2011, 09:35:20 AM »

don't wear cotton undies or jeans.  Synthetics, preferably performance fabrics that wick moisture away from you, are far better in minimizing this issue. 

I don't pack nor have I ever needed powder when wearing this type of clothing and never have to say:  'Will you please excuse me, I have to go powder my . . . . '

Money butt huh?   Shake your money maker?

;D

Offline Pynikal

• From power cruiser to power tourer.
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2011, 10:17:31 AM »

what do you suggest we wear? what are the more comfy options?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2011, 10:19:41 AM »
Money butt huh?   Shake your money maker?

;D

:rotflmao:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2011, 12:06:04 PM »

2. Monkey Butt. It's not funny; it f'n hurts. I use Gold Bond, but it seems like powder just delays the onset, instead of preventing it. Bicycle shorts? Specific motorcycle shorts? Shave my behindus? What works for you high-mileage guys?

:yikes:

Offline Conrad

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2011, 12:16:37 PM »

:yikes:

Whoa! I don't think that Gold Bond will do much for that serious case.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2011, 01:24:51 PM »

what do you suggest we wear? what are the more comfy options?

Well you can always go commando. No chaffing then.

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2011, 01:50:43 PM »
Ok. I will go ahead and ask. So, what is this monkey butt all about? And does it affect only Caucasian male?  : O
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14