Author Topic: Hardwire GPS into Accessory Leads  (Read 8058 times)

Offline accbiker

Hardwire GPS into Accessory Leads
« on: June 15, 2011, 10:44:45 AM »
I believe that this was discussed on the old site and we all know how worthless the power socket is, I wanted to hardwire my GPS Nuvi 500 directly to the front accessory leads using the following cable (garmin also makes one, but this is a few bucks cheaper).

http://www.gpscity.com/gilsson-bare-wire-power-cable.html

Anyone try this one yet?  I think it would be a great use of these leads as compared to running it back to the battery or to a fuze block (as much as I like the fuze block, it seems silly to install one just to run this accessory).

Any comments/advice would be appreciated.

-David
Athens, GA

Offline mkorn

Re: Hardwire GPS into Accessory Leads
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 10:47:56 AM »
Thats a kewl idea if the accessory leads are keyed on and off.  otherwise i would forget.  :-)
2009 C14 ABS
2002 750 Nighthawk (sold)
2006 DRz 400s

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 11:39:37 AM »
I wired my GPS (Zumo 550) to the front accessory leads via SAE connectors.  It makes it easy to swap the cradle between bikes, and allows me to plug other accessories into the bike if the GPS isn't installed.
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 11:41:13 AM »
Thats a kewl idea if the accessory leads are keyed on and off.  otherwise i would forget.  :-)

They are switched with the key.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Conrad

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 11:42:01 AM »
I believe that this was discussed on the old site and we all know how worthless the power socket is, I wanted to hardwire my GPS Nuvi 500 directly to the front accessory leads using the following cable (garmin also makes one, but this is a few bucks cheaper).

http://www.gpscity.com/gilsson-bare-wire-power-cable.html

Anyone try this one yet?  I think it would be a great use of these leads as compared to running it back to the battery or to a fuze block (as much as I like the fuze block, it seems silly to install one just to run this accessory).

Any comments/advice would be appreciated.

-David
Athens, GA

That's a good idea, here's one at Amazon for under $14 with shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Hardwire-Cable-Mini-USB-connector/dp/B001M09L20/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1308159497&sr=8-3
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline stlheadake

• Probably not my smartest day...
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 12:30:32 PM »
There's a switched accessory lead in the black boot in the left hand side of the front fairing.  You could go there, OR personally for the GPS, I'd tap the power leads to the dashboard cig lighter.  The GPS draws nothing, and you COULD still plug something in if you HAD to!
What do you call those three wheeled Goldwings?....Chicken Wings

08 C14 WOW what a bike!
00 XR650r Hare Scrambler

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 01:11:43 PM »
There's a switched accessory lead in the black boot in the left hand side of the front fairing.  You could go there, OR personally for the GPS, I'd tap the power leads to the dashboard cig lighter.  The GPS draws nothing, and you COULD still plug something in if you HAD to!

+1

Offline jamiemac

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2011, 04:02:15 PM »
I prefer using the 12 volt accessory plug for the following reason. My Nuvi 765T has a traffic update feature, & the receiver is built into the 12 volt socket. If I hardwired the unit, I lose that feature. Not sure how many other models have traffic updates, but it's something to consider.
2008 C14, Area-P carbon fiber, PCV, Rostra Cruise, LAAM leather seat, Optilux 1500 & MondoMoto MM10 lights, Cee Bailey windshield, BMC air filter, Warm & Safe dual dash mounted heat troller.

Offline firetruck41

• No pictures means No Posting
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2011, 04:40:30 PM »
the 12 volt power socket works just fine for me. i have the nuvi 220. my plug stays in at all times. since the power plug is key activated, my garmin turns on and off with it.
2011 connie. silver
corbin seat on order
motorcycle larry lowers.murphys risers
Givi E55 mono-key. passenger peg lowers

Offline accbiker

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2011, 06:05:19 PM »
the 12 volt power socket works just fine for me. i have the nuvi 220. my plug stays in at all times. since the power plug is key activated, my garmin turns on and off with it.

Are the walls of the socket on the 2011 perfectly smooth? Or is the an indentation on them for the power plug tabs to seat in?  The problem with the 2010 version is that they are smooth and over time the vibration backs the plug out of the socket - just enough to loose contact.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2011, 06:12:49 PM »
search on "fuzeblock" for a better solution
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2011, 06:25:19 PM »
Are the walls of the socket on the 2011 perfectly smooth? Or is the an indentation on them for the power plug tabs to seat in?  The problem with the 2010 version is that they are smooth and over time the vibration backs the plug out of the socket - just enough to loose contact.

A toothpick will fix that problem, it did for me... 

Offline SparX

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2011, 07:44:57 PM »
I wired my GPS (Zumo 550) to the front accessory leads via SAE connectors.  It makes it easy to swap the cradle between bikes, and allows me to plug other accessories into the bike if the GPS isn't installed.

+1, this works well, I did it the same way and it can be swapped quickly while still leaving the power port for the iPhone mobile charger.
-SparX

Offline mkorn

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2011, 07:46:39 PM »

i took a side cutter to the cig plug contactors to give them sharp edges.  they bite into the outlet nicely now.
it used to pop out after 3-5 minutes.
2009 C14 ABS
2002 750 Nighthawk (sold)
2006 DRz 400s

Offline accbiker

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2011, 08:40:36 PM »

Thanks ZG, I had forgotten about the toothpick trick.

-David
Athens, GA

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2011, 08:43:39 PM »
Thanks ZG, I had forgotten about the toothpick trick.

-David
Athens, GA

I need to do that in my truck!

Offline Sea Level

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2011, 09:49:21 PM »

That's exactly what I did too, using the series of photos from (Fred?) as my guide. I am not very handy at all and was very hesitant to even take off the faring on the left side to get at the ACC leads, but it turned out to be easy. The Zumo 660 I have turns off when I shut down the bike, but it gives me ten seconds to press a button to keep the GPS on with the internal battery powering it. I bundled all the wiring with a zip tie and stashed it under the faring. Even got the other leads (traffic, external antenna and mp3) right at the top and easily available if I want them.

I use the power outlet to plug in my iPhone, which is mounted right above the Zumo. Works great and was awesome for the trip I just got back from tonight: Boston to The Dragon and back, with lots of backwoods in between.

Offline So Cal Joe

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2011, 08:12:23 AM »
Same here,

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once

Offline ninjawarrior1400

• "There is no second place winner in a gunfight."
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2011, 08:12:58 AM »
Use a matchbook cover or a piece of 3x5 index card depending on thickness, cut it down to about 3/4 inch wide and trial and error insert your plug until it is a snug fit...mine has worked and been in place 3.5 years and never pops out........don't know about them toothpicks~

Ninja
Ninjawarrior