Author Topic: No communication / Just music  (Read 6882 times)

Offline Damn Potholes

• AdvancedSportTouring.com
    • Advanced Sport Touring
No communication / Just music
« on: June 14, 2011, 08:25:14 AM »
Is anyone aware of a helmet speaker system, preferably with bluetooth, designed for music without helmet to helmet communication?  I've used earbuds for years and have had enough.  They're fine for short trips but anything over an hour bothers my ears.  I have absolutely no interest in talking to anyone else while riding or having a boom in my helmet.  I would even be interested in a system that connects to my mp3 via a 3.5mm wire as long as the speakers are in the helmet.  I'm looking to add this to my current helmet which does have space for speakers.  Suggestions would be appreciated.
My parts are forged with voodoo curses and unicorn tears.

Offline Mister Tee

Re: No communication / Just music
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 09:03:02 AM »
Maybe more comfortable earbuds?  I would be worried about hearing loss if you turn the speakers up high enough to get over the road noise.  I deliberately wear ear plugs on long rides if I'm not wearing noise isolating earbuds with music or radio just for hearing protection alone.

Offline mtn.connie

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 09:31:25 AM »
Skullcandy makes a product called Homegrown. They would be nice if your helmet has enough ear pocket space. Otherwise do a search on ebay for motorcycle helmet speakers. About 50 different choices. I went back to earbuds for the reason stated earlier in the thread.

Offline stlheadake

• Probably not my smartest day...
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 10:14:26 AM »
What helmet do you have?  You might try some of the BT earphones and try to sink them in the pockets of your helmet.  Basically 'installing' the headset into your helmet.  J&M has an expensive set up that is quite comfortable and works well. 
What do you call those three wheeled Goldwings?....Chicken Wings

08 C14 WOW what a bike!
00 XR650r Hare Scrambler

Offline fmwhit

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 10:55:00 AM »
I am not aware of any BT(bluetooth) speaker systems for helmets.  The earphones give the extra benefit of blocking some wind noise and most of the earphone type systems seem to have a better bass response that the helmet type speakers that I have sampled.  Also the helmet speakers require more power to drive them as the speaker cones are significantly larger that those of an earphone so an external amplifier may be required.  That would mean having to replace or charge batteries for a wireless system.

Good Luck and be sure to let us know if you find anything good.

Fred

Offline reesedp

• Sail Army
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 11:10:57 AM »
Take a look at J&M Audio.  I have had their setup for 4 months now and wouldnt trade it for anything.

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2011, 01:07:11 PM »
I have simple Radio Shack cheapie headphones that I took apart and mounted in the helmet's pockets. Have been doing that in combination with earplugs (custom fit silicon ones) for a while now. Bass response is zero, but I can hear the music and I also am saving my ears. I do need to have the volume way up to cover the road noise, but I can hear the music.
Scott
ZX-6D --> CBR600F3 --> TL1000R --> Concours 14
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips

Son of Pappy

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2011, 01:20:50 PM »
http://chatterboxusa.com/cb50skit.html

Tuck the mike out of the way.  Much better system then it looks.  As a bonus, if you ever do need comms, all the SWMBO needs is a headset, plug and go.

Offline gflint

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2011, 01:45:43 PM »
I have used a speaker system in one of my helmets.  I bought some good quality over-the-ear speakers, did some minor carving on the foam in the ear area and glued them in.  High on comfort, very low on road noise hearing protection, very low on sound quality and the volume had to be WFO to hear the music.  I went shopping for comfortable ear buds on the next helmet.  Ear buds are a hassle but the sound quality and noise protection are worth it.
Keep it simple - if no one has shot at me or tried to blow me up it is a good day.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2011, 04:08:31 PM »
Maybe more comfortable earbuds?  I would be worried about hearing loss if you turn the speakers up high enough to get over the road noise.  I deliberately wear ear plugs on long rides if I'm not wearing noise isolating earbuds with music or radio just for hearing protection alone.

See this thread:  http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=1714.0
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline CrashGordon

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2011, 04:35:06 PM »
I've never heard a set of helmet speakers that had any kind of sound quality. I use $30 Sony earbuds and I think they are very comfortable. Over Memorial Day weekend, I wore them on three straight 8 hour days and never had a comfort issue. Of course, my helmet (Shoei RF-1000) has plenty of room for the earbuds. My old Arai was a much tighter fit and would cause discomfort after a few hours.

Offline MIST

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2011, 06:54:50 PM »
Problem with ear buds is that they're very uncomfortable, at least for me, when wearing a tight fitting full face helmet such as a Shoei or Arai. Plus they're illegal in my State. There are so many helmet speaker options out there it can certainly be overwhelming when trying to make a decision.
Mike
'10 C14ABS

Offline gflint

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2011, 08:43:16 PM »
I have heard that the use of ear buds or dual ear speakers (speakers on both ears) is illegal in many states.  Can anybody confirm and in which states if true?
Keep it simple - if no one has shot at me or tried to blow me up it is a good day.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2011, 08:46:32 PM »
I have heard that the use of ear buds or dual ear speakers (speakers on both ears) is illegal in many states.  Can anybody confirm and in which states if true?

If it is true, it certainly doesn't make any sense.  There is no consistency to what a driver can or can't hear from person to person, vehicle to vehicle, earplug to earplug, speaker to headphone to earphone, helmet to helmet, etc.

On a motorcycle, you can often actually hear BETTER with light earplugs, since it can cut the wind noise, making other noises (like horns, sirens, etc) stand out much better.  It can also protect against permanent hearing loss (if there is significant wind noise in your situation).

In a car, people blast their speakers so loud, it could be many times worse than wearing earphones at a lower volume.

And if I were deaf, would I not be allowed to drive????
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 05:31:55 AM by maxtog »
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2011, 10:43:30 PM »
I believe it is illegal in Cali to wear earbuds or earplugs in both ears last I heard. I wear my custom molded plugs anyway as I would rather risk a ticket and keep my hearing.

BTW, the earplugs I have are made for motorcyclists as they don't block out as much sound as the foam ones typically do (less material to block the sound).
http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/westone-motorcycle-4rt.html
Scott
ZX-6D --> CBR600F3 --> TL1000R --> Concours 14
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips

Offline nsrrider

« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2011, 06:56:02 AM »
i love the audio quality of my B/T Nolan...been using my iphone to provide the music but just ordered a separate BT tansmitter to plug into my garmin to B/T the MP3 and not have to mess with the phone......( i use standard foam plugs in my ears)
the nolan itself is not the most comfortable helmet ive had but i do like the slide down tinted visor.... 

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2011, 09:42:19 AM »
If it is true, it certainly doesn't make any sense.  There is no consistency to what a driver can or can't hear from person to person, vehicle to vehicle, earplug to earplug, speaker to headphone to earphone, helmet to helmet, etc.

On a motorcycle, you can often actually hear BETTER with light earplugs, since it can cut the wind noise, making other noises (like horns, sirens, etc) stand out much better.  It can also protect against permanent hearing loss (if there is significant wind noise in your situation).

In a car, people blast their speakers so loud, it could be many times worse than wearing earphones at a lower volume.

And if I were deaf, would I not be allowed to drive????

Yes it is illegal in California but I completely agree with you on all points.  I also would rather take a ticket over hearing loss.

Offline Jiffy Bumpit

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2011, 02:31:45 AM »
I have a Parrot SK4000. I've been using this setup for over 2 years now. It's not perfect, but nothing is. My biggest complaint is I wish it was a little bit louder (freeway speeds with Givi screen full up). If you had this setup on a bike w/ no wind protection.....fughettaboutit. What I do like.. sounds great, stereo bluetooth, auto volume control (microphone uses windnoise/engine noise), it has a 'clip-on' remote control for your left grip that does volume up/down, mode, next/previous track etc., calls sound great, FM radio built in, battery lasts a good while. I paid apprx. $160 for mine when they were selling for $200. Now it looks like you can get them for as low as $65. For that price it is well worth the money. For some reason the product does not show up on the Parrot website. Just do a search for the SK4000. Oh, one more thing, since I have a HTC thunderbolt (Android) phone I jam out to pandora radio. I can also listen to Sirius thru my phone.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2011, 05:58:11 PM »
I have a Parrot SK4000. I've been using this setup for over 2 years now.[...].. sounds great, stereo bluetooth, auto volume control (microphone uses windnoise/engine noise), it has a 'clip-on' remote control for your left grip that does volume up/down, mode, next/previous track etc., calls sound great, FM radio built in, battery lasts a good while. I paid apprx. $160 for mine when they were selling for $200. Now it looks like you can get them for as low as $65. For that price it is well worth the money.

That looks very interesting.  Especially the price and the remote control.  Of course, in my case, I would still have the problem of connecting my non-bluetooth Zumo for directions (and music if I choose that as the source).  I don't suppose you have tried pairing and using two things at once, have you?  Also- does it remember your stereo/mono setting across sessions?

Offline Bosgarage57

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2011, 06:41:09 PM »
I have a Parrot SK4000. I've been using this setup for over 2 years now. It's not perfect, but nothing is. My biggest complaint is I wish it was a little bit louder (freeway speeds with Givi screen full up). If you had this setup on a bike w/ no wind protection.....fughettaboutit. What I do like.. sounds great, stereo bluetooth, auto volume control (microphone uses windnoise/engine noise), it has a 'clip-on' remote control for your left grip that does volume up/down, mode, next/previous track etc., calls sound great, FM radio built in, battery lasts a good while. I paid apprx. $160 for mine when they were selling for $200. Now it looks like you can get them for as low as $65. For that price it is well worth the money. For some reason the product does not show up on the Parrot website. Just do a search for the SK4000. Oh, one more thing, since I have a HTC thunderbolt (Android) phone I jam out to pandora radio. I can also listen to Sirius thru my phone.

I just got one of these and LOVE IT.  Its like a smaller chatterbox.  It could be a little louder but behind my big rifle windshield its not a problem.  On my 250 the sound is a little low.  I got 1 for $30 and wish I would have bought about 5 of them.  I believe amazon has then for about $50.  Also i'm using a 3/4's helmet, if you use a ful face you might not be able to use the mic (but for you that doesnt seem like it matters).

edit: it also has an fm radio on it.