Author Topic: Questions for Russell Day-Long Owners...  (Read 12731 times)

Offline ZG

• Arena
Re: Questions for Russell Day-Long Owners...
« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2011, 10:16:14 PM »
Finally... today, I received my Russell seat.

I got  to tell you guys... it's not as ugly as you think. It's no beauty, don't get me wrong, but the lines kind of go with the bike.
However, I'm not too comfortable on it. If I seat where I'm supposed to seat, I'm too far back and not very comfortable reaching the handlebars.

I contacted Russell and they told me to take some pictures sitting on the bike and said they can fix it. Off course that will take another few weeks and another $120 shipping back and forth. Not very happy with the situation.

Tony

Are you using risers Tony? When I got my Corbin it pushed me so far back in the seat I had to do risers, then all was well again...

Offline fc1reed

« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2011, 10:29:44 PM »
All I have to say is McMaster-Carr and EBAY. I bought a gel insert off of EBAY, then memory foam from McMaster-Carr. I tried different positions with each to figure out the best for my a--, um butt. I figured it out then had a local guy cover it with carbon look weave. I ride from Atlanta to Orlando a couple of times a year no problem. It really depends on your butt. I also figured out wearing boxer briefs helps so the lines don't cut into where you sit.  ;)

Offline TonyR

« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2011, 12:11:43 PM »
Yep... it puts me way too far back. The same with my wife. I had to move the trunk back and remove the back rest for her to sit in the right position.
Way too many issues for $600.

I'll be writing a long report to them and figure out what to do next. What's pissing me off, is that I've been waiting fop two months, and now we have a couple of long trips coming up and looks like I'll have to use the original seat all over again.

Tony

Offline misterd

« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2012, 01:29:52 PM »
The Russell is kinda like a fat girl...............fun to ride until somebody sees you. :rotflmao:
i looked up the Baldwin seat and dont see much if any difference from the stock seat.  the russell is ugly but those wings do look like they  help.

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2012, 05:21:09 PM »
i looked up the Baldwin seat and dont see much if any difference from the stock seat.  the russell is ugly but those wings do look like they  help.

Baldwin does have a new style that is similar in design to the Russel (but IMO not ugly).  That will be my next seat. 

http://www.motorbikesaddles.com/Kawasaki%20Concours%2014%20GT.htm
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline Wanderlust

« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2012, 08:05:08 PM »
I did the Russell Day-Long seat conversion about 16 months ago, and swear by it.

Specs:
* Full leather
* Black sides with light grey insert
* Front and back seat heaters

For having the work done in CA and getting it shipped to western Australia, I received the seat back approximately two weeks from the build date.

Since then I did a ride to Broome, WA (3300 miles round trip over seven days) and my only problem was managing sweat on the back of my legs causing chafing (temps were over 100° F daily and I averaged eight hours/day on the bike for six of the seven days). Without the Russell seat this ride would have been impossible due to pressure on the tailbone area. You'll notice that the new Baldwin seat tries to emulate the Russell design by providing for side hip bone support. This feature is what makes Gold Wing seats comfortable and the rest of stock bike seats suck by comparison.

The Russell people were very cooperative as well.

It may not be a looker, but I could care less about looks when it comes to comfort on long rides.

Oh, and yes, I strongly suggest that anyone installing this seat also purchase the 2" Heli Bar risers and install them at the same time. Otherwise you will have difficulty reaching the handlebars.

-Wanderlust
Madness does not always howl. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, Hey, is there room in your head for one more?

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2012, 08:55:42 PM »
I did the Russell Day-Long seat conversion about 16 months ago, and swear by it.

Specs:
* Full leather
* Black sides with light grey insert
* Front and back seat heaters

For having the work done in CA and getting it shipped to western Australia, I received the seat back approximately two weeks from the build date.

Since then I did a ride to Broome, WA (3300 miles round trip over seven days) and my only problem was managing sweat on the back of my legs causing chafing (temps were over 100° F daily and I averaged eight hours/day on the bike for six of the seven days). Without the Russell seat this ride would have been impossible due to pressure on the tailbone area. You'll notice that the new Baldwin seat tries to emulate the Russell design by providing for side hip bone support. This feature is what makes Gold Wing seats comfortable and the rest of stock bike seats suck by comparison.

The Russell people were very cooperative as well.

It may not be a looker, but I could care less about looks when it comes to comfort on long rides.

Oh, and yes, I strongly suggest that anyone installing this seat also purchase the 2" Heli Bar risers and install them at the same time. Otherwise you will have difficulty reaching the handlebars.

-Wanderlust

Here's a good shot of WDL's seat in case you're wondering what it looks like... My favorite pic of his bike for sure...  :o ;D ;)

But it's also what motivated me to get the Top Block tip over protection... Thanks again bro, you're the original farkle Jedi Master!!  8) :thumbs: :hail:

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2012, 08:13:25 AM »
Baldwin does have a new style that is similar in design to the Russel (but IMO not ugly).  That will be my next seat. 

http://www.motorbikesaddles.com/Kawasaki%20Concours%2014%20GT.htm

That thing looks a whole lot better.  Form AND function!  I would sure like to try one out.

Offline vwtom

• tom altman
« Reply #48 on: February 28, 2012, 01:08:21 PM »
DONT GET THE FAT GUY SEAT!

Why is that Pokey?