Author Topic: Oil filter - Kawi or something else  (Read 9672 times)

Offline gflint

Oil filter - Kawi or something else
« on: June 12, 2011, 08:51:51 PM »
Did we ever get convincing evidence that there is something better than the stock Kawi oil filter?  I am talking real evidence, not seat of the pants or price.  The price of filters is not so broad that price is relevant.
Keep it simple - if no one has shot at me or tried to blow me up it is a good day.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
Re: Oil filter - Kawi or something else
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 09:02:25 PM »
Not enough for me to switch from the OEM, although I would consider the K&N variant.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Darknesses

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 10:58:27 PM »
I am shocked by the amount of chatter that I see here for the Walmart Supertech filters.  Call me crazy but I would never put a generic filter on my bike. 

Bob

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 02:55:17 AM »
I don't know which filter is scientifically proven to be best. I just use the K&N because they work well, with a reputation for quality. But mainly I like the welded on nut for easy removal!  :D

Now to sit back and watch!  :popcorn:

Offline Conrad

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 05:20:12 AM »
K&N for me, it's built lilke a tank and it's easy to get off with the welded on nut.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, 07:50:40 AM »
I don't know which filter is scientifically proven to be best. I just use the K&N because they work well, with a reputation for quality. But mainly I like the welded on nut for easy removal!  :D

Now to sit back and watch!  :popcorn:

word!  thats all i've used for 33,000 miles on mine.  plus on my other bikes, and especially track bikes because the KnN already have the hole drilled for the safety wiring
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline jonathan

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2011, 08:54:38 AM »
For what this bike cost me I figure I can spring for the OEM filter and not have any worries.

Joncon11

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2011, 09:51:35 AM »
OEM for me as long as my warranty is still active, and probably beyond that because they are easy to get and there is no little voice in the back of my head asking, "is this filter going to be ok?".  I do agree that the price spread is not big enought to be a factor.  Even for my Ducati ($17  ::) ) i'll stick with OEM.

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2011, 12:20:39 PM »
OEM for me as long as my warranty is still active, and probably beyond that because they are easy to get and there is no little voice in the back of my head asking, "is this filter going to be ok?".  I do agree that the price spread is not big enought to be a factor.  Even for my Ducati ($17  ::) ) i'll stick with OEM.

+1

Offline Pynikal

• From power cruiser to power tourer.
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2011, 01:53:09 PM »
K&N for me, it's built lilke a tank and it's easy to get off with the welded on nut.

got a part number for them?? 8)

Offline Conrad

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2011, 02:04:12 PM »
got a part number for them?? 8)

Sure do.

KN-303

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline OregonLAN

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2011, 02:13:08 PM »
I am shocked by the amount of chatter that I see here for the Walmart Supertech filters.  Call me crazy but I would never put a generic filter on my bike.

Then don't buy K&N filter either because they are made by the same company, Champion Laboratories...

Honestly, let's quit beating this to death. If you change your oil and filter every 3000 miles/3 months, any modern day filter should be suffice (unless it's defective of corse). If buying an OEM filter makes you feel better about your bike, then do it. Same goes for K&N, Amsoil or any other brand...

Offline gflint

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2011, 03:13:38 PM »
So far it appears there is no evidence of anything better except for price and convenience.  That is what I expected but every now and then somebody discovers something new.  I learned today K&N is now Chinese.  I am not sure if that is better or worse that Japanese.  Looks like I will stick with OEM for now.
Keep it simple - if no one has shot at me or tried to blow me up it is a good day.

Offline CigarSki®

• Arena
  • Newb again?
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2011, 03:19:48 PM »
I just looked at the K&N, KN-303 that I have sitting here. It's made in Thailand.
Wayne Sikorski aka CigarSki
2010 ZG1400 - South Jersey
COG 9250

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2011, 03:22:38 PM »
I just looked at the K&N, KN-303 that I have sitting here. It's made in Thailand.

So are my Michelin tires, does that make them any more inferior than the French made Michelins.  We now have tires and oil [filters] in the same thread, just waiting on KiPass to enter the discussion............  ;D
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline CigarSki®

• Arena
  • Newb again?
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2011, 03:46:02 PM »
Just pointing out it's lineage, I'm still gonna use i,t along with the one I just put in a little while ago.

Wayne Sikorski aka CigarSki
2010 ZG1400 - South Jersey
COG 9250

Offline Pynikal

• From power cruiser to power tourer.
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2011, 03:47:08 PM »
So are my Michelin tires, does that make them any more inferior than the French made Michelins.  We now have tires and oil [filters] in the same thread, just waiting on KiPass to enter the discussion............  ;D

you always have that chit stirring spoon in your hand JD........ ::) 8)

Offline Tom J.

• "Disciples of Displacement" charter member
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2011, 03:59:44 PM »
I guess we could do a simple, non-scientific experiment....  I installed one of those magnetic oil plugs on the last oil change, AND used a Walmart ST7317 (*GASP*) filter.
I'll take a look at how much dung gets collected by the magnet.  Maybe I'll take a clean paper towel and wipe the plug and save the paper towel.  Then I'll use a K&N-303 and see how much chit gets collected after the same amount of miles.  This may only indicate how much debris gets through the filter and not really speak to how well the oil gets filtered...hell, that may be one in the same-   ??? it's an idea anyway-

'08 Kawasaki Concours
'98 Yamaha VMax
'84 Honda V65 Magna
'82 Honda CX500 Custom

Offline Conrad

« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2011, 05:00:37 AM »
I guess we could do a simple, non-scientific experiment....  I installed one of those magnetic oil plugs on the last oil change, AND used a Walmart ST7317 (*GASP*) filter.
I'll take a look at how much dung gets collected by the magnet.  Maybe I'll take a clean paper towel and wipe the plug and save the paper towel.  Then I'll use a K&N-303 and see how much chit gets collected after the same amount of miles.  This may only indicate how much debris gets through the filter and not really speak to how well the oil gets filtered...hell, that may be one in the same-   ??? it's an idea anyway-

That won't work. You're assuming that your motor will create the same amount of metal fines from one oil change to the other. That may be the case but then again, it may not be. 

Offline S.Ga.Rider

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2011, 05:20:58 AM »
I have used oem the last 2 changes, the one before that I used the supertech and I used it exclusively on my zx14, fz1, and several other bikes I have owned. Its is rated above a lot of others here.

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Consumables.html#OilFilters