Author Topic: ZX14 header pipe and such .... redux  (Read 6391 times)

Offline Bagger

ZX14 header pipe and such .... redux
« on: June 12, 2011, 05:15:55 PM »
I looked a one thread regarding this, but I was confused.  Easily so these days.
But, I seem to remember a couple threads from the "old forum" that addressed my concerns.

Here's the deal ... I'm considering adding a ZX14 duel exhaust to my 2010 C14 ABS.  I already have the single slip on Holeshot and midpipe.  I like it a great deal, but would like a more symmetrical look and perhaps some increased power as well.  I would consider adding the other side Holeshot if it's available for this configuration.

The thread I saw stated that I'd need a 2008 header or later.  Is this so?  Or, since I'm adding the midpipes and slip ons, can the header come from other years?

What other modifications are needed to make this hook up work?  Can the center stand work as oem, or does it need to be modified?  I would  think that I'd have to make a custom bracket for the left side of the bike to hold the new midpipe / can.

And, do you actually get some increased power (how much?) or is it just more  of a symmetrical look?

Any suggestions or recommendations?  Experiences?  Thanx.
"I'm not a vigilante ... I'm just an undocumented border patrol agent."

Offline killingbugs

• JMP Cycle Kawasaki
Re: ZX14 header pipe and such .... redux
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 08:12:51 PM »
I have a 2010 ZX-14 header and a set of Muzzy Carbon Fiber Slip-ons, and the Muzzy left side muffler mount that I am selling.
Your centerstand will needs some modifications to work with the left pipe. Or Muzzy can sell you one for $160 or so plus your core.
I am sure you gain some power but if you look at the dyno charts it is 4 to 8 HP. What is that 4%.

But I do like the symetrical look, just not interested in work on the C-14, just want to ride it!

I might be interested in working a trade with your Holeshot versus the Muzzy system.....

Offline Bagger

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 04:44:38 AM »
Thanx for the reply.  PM sent.

Offline Bagger

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 06:48:23 PM »
Again ... my question is about what years ZX14 Ninja header pipes will fit my 2010 C14?

Anyone know?  Thanx.

Offline stuckinohio

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 07:14:38 PM »
Well, I dont think there are any differences between 09 and 10 models in the area of the header and exhaust.  I have an 09 and have installed and dual system off on 06 ZX-14.  I may be mistaken, but I thought the only difference between the different years of Ninjas were cats/no cats in the headers and what mid pipes you have to use.

In short, I think you can use whatever year you want, just the older ones dont have cats in the headers, only the mid pipes (I think)!

Offline stuckinohio

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, 07:18:28 PM »

Offline Bagger

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2011, 08:17:04 PM »
Thanx, Stuck ... yeah, Ohio, I know.  Anyway, I appreciate the link.  Very helpful.  I remember something like this on the 'old forum', but could not find it.

I'm still on the fence regarding which header will fit my bike.  I know the 2010 was a bit different than the '08-09's, but not sure how that relates to the exhaust.  I don't want to plunk down a hundred or so on a pipe and the use it as a lawn decoration cuz it don't fit, eh.

I would hope that the '08-09' header would fit and then I can add another Holeshot exhaust to the left side.  We shall see.

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2011, 08:25:53 PM »
I like the balanced look of duals.

Offline Bagger

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2011, 08:31:41 PM »

As do I, m'friend.  But, I don't want to spend a few hundred bucks just to get a more symmetrical look.  I'm interested in more power ... not sure why ... and a better look IMO. 

I don't really need more SOUND.  I'm half deaf in my right ear from riding HDs for 20 years without a helmet/ear protection.  Had Area P's on my Ninja and could not ride without ear protection.  VERY LOUD ! to say the least.

Still waiting on what header will fit my 2010 C14 with out screwing with the cats and such.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2011, 04:24:42 AM »
You could ask Fred on the other forum.

Offline Bagger

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2011, 06:53:02 AM »
You could ask Fred on the other forum.

Good idea.  :)

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2011, 11:15:18 PM »

+1...

Offline Bagger

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2011, 06:47:50 PM »
OK ... I have a Holeshot right hand muffler and mid pipe.  I'm not interested in a Muzzy complete system.  Why?  Well, I like the sound of the Holeshot and the Muzzy seems a bit 'buzzy' to me.  Just MO.

Anyway, I don't want to spend a crap load on the Muzzy complete system as I have an inexpensive ZX14 header, and the right hand side mid pipe and muffler already.  I just need a 2" mid pipe for the left hand side of the bike ... and I'll get another Holeshot, plus brackets and modified center stand.

Anyone want to tell me where I can get a 2" left size mid pipe?  Or ... should I have it made out of stainless? 

Interested in any comments or experience.

Thanx.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2011, 07:02:56 PM »
Have you checked the zx forums?

Offline Bagger

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2011, 07:07:41 PM »
Have you checked the zx forums?

No I haven't.  Which would you suggest? 

I haven't been on a ZX14 MB for a couple years.

But, this may be a good idea ... if the ZX14 mid pipes are 2".

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2011, 07:22:44 PM »
Bagger, I've got a zx14 header,midpipes and Muzzy carbon duals. The system was off an '06 I think. No cats. I bought the set fom a local drag racer who was changing back to a single can. I can't swear if the mids are zx or Muzzy. I just went to the garage and measured the left mid and came up with 57.55mm/2.266" OD. The zx drag guys are speed freaks to the max and always swapping parts in and out. Hope this helps.
Gary

Offline Bagger

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2011, 07:28:53 PM »
Bagger, I've got a zx14 header,midpipes and Muzzy carbon duals. The system was off an '06 I think. No cats. I bought the set fom a local drag racer who was changing back to a single can. I can't swear if the mids are zx or Muzzy. I just went to the garage and measured the left mid and came up with 57.55mm/2.266" OD. The zx drag guys are speed freaks to the max and always swapping parts in and out. Hope this helps.
Gary

Thank you.  Looks like what you have will allow for a 2" slip on muffler.  It may have to be opened up a tad, but I think it'll fit.  Plus, some tabs and hangers here and there, too.

I'm trying to get on the ZX 14 sites, but am having some problems for some reason.

I appreciate your help, Pink.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2011, 07:34:31 PM »
Good luck. This bike shines with duals. After all it is a Bagger.

Offline Bagger

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2011, 07:42:43 PM »
Good luck. This bike shines with duals. After all it is a Bagger.

INDEED !!   8)