Author Topic: Gah! choosing a helmet is tough!  (Read 15997 times)

Offline OregonLAN

Re: Gah! choosing a helmet is tough!
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2011, 03:57:19 PM »
I'm not sure how the numbering scheme works anymore with Scorpion, but the EXO 500 appears to be competing/replacing the EXO 1000 at a lesser price (MSRP $219.00). The store I was at last weekend had a couple of EXO 1000s left and 15 - 20 EXO 500s. They were asking $249.99 for an XXL EXO 500; you can find them for $199.99 online.

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2011, 04:16:28 PM »
The HJC Sy-Max II is a good helmet for the money but I love the Multitec.

Offline CrashGordon

« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2011, 04:27:35 PM »
As a business owner myself, one misperception is that price is the primary factor in a purchase.  I truly believe dealers can keep their price higher than an internet price as long as they are willing (and also point out to the potential buyer) to provide benefits internet sites can't (i.e. returns, returning customer loyalty discounts, special Customer appreciation days sales, ect...that brings people back to the shop).

Those will go a long way. There will always be a few customers who shop on price alone, but most shops that provide good customer service will have a loyal customer base. However, there is a limit to what even the most loyal customer will pay. I always have to balance my desire to save money with my desire to have it NOW! If I can save more than a few bucks by shopping online (with free shipping), then I'll usually wait. Particularly since a lot of internet companies are also very good at providing customer service now.

Offline DocPigskin

• I'm kind of a big deal
« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2011, 10:03:21 PM »
Those will go a long way. There will always be a few customers who shop on price alone, but most shops that provide good customer service will have a loyal customer base. However, there is a limit to what even the most loyal customer will pay. I always have to balance my desire to save money with my desire to have it NOW! If I can save more than a few bucks by shopping online (with free shipping), then I'll usually wait. Particularly since a lot of internet companies are also very good at providing customer service now.

Ya, maybe I should reiterate.   I don't believe that there AREN'T people whose primary buying decision is price, as I have shopped for price on certain items (i.e. used cars) but the customer that isn't looking just to save a couple bucks will usually end up being a loyal customer who refers others and that back end sale and referral is where the real profit is made.   But again, have to give them a reason to justify spending more for an item they could get cheaper somewhere else.   I know for a fact that I am the highest priced in my town for what I do, yet am the busiest amongst all competitors because of what I provide about and beyond what my customer is directly coming in for.

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2011, 06:54:38 AM »
It is hard to put a price on quality and customer service.

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #45 on: June 14, 2011, 08:44:08 AM »
Looks like St louis power sports carry the Gmax helmets as I am still leaning towards those. And their prices (at least in the website) are no more than $10 - $15 higher than motorcycle super store. So, this Saturday we might go and check them out. We will also check out other brands.
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline DocPigskin

• I'm kind of a big deal
« Reply #46 on: June 14, 2011, 09:09:00 AM »

+1

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #48 on: June 14, 2011, 04:06:31 PM »
I'm not sure how the numbering scheme works anymore with Scorpion, but the EXO 500 appears to be competing/replacing the EXO 1000 at a lesser price (MSRP $219.00). The store I was at last weekend had a couple of EXO 1000s left and 15 - 20 EXO 500s. They were asking $249.99 for an XXL EXO 500; you can find them for $199.99 online.

The EXO-500 is NOT SNELL APPROVED/rated like the EXO-1000.  I believe it also does not contain carbon fiber in the shell (the EXO-1000 does).  Otherwise, they appear to be pretty similar except the color/pattern selection in the 500 is not very good either.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 06:05:30 PM by maxtog »
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline CrashGordon

« Reply #49 on: June 14, 2011, 04:39:55 PM »
I don't know if it falls into your price range, but you may want to check out the Bell Revolver. I'm looking hard at a Bell because they now have a transition shield and webbikeworld is rating their current lineup very highly.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #50 on: June 15, 2011, 10:51:25 AM »

+3...

Offline OregonLAN

« Reply #51 on: June 15, 2011, 11:44:34 AM »
The EXO-500 is NOT SNELL APPROVED/rated like the EXO-1000.  I believe it also does not contain carbon fiber in the shell (the EXO-1000 does).  Otherwise, they appear to be pretty similar except the color/pattern selection in the 500 is not very good either.

The EXO-1000 is a poly carbonate helmet, not carbon fiber. Most helmets are still made using poly carbonate because carbon fiber increases the cost exponentially while only decreasing the weight slightly.

None of the newer Scorpion helmets are Snell 2010 rated, so once the 1000s are gone, you will have to shop elsewhere for a Snell compliant helmet. The EXO-1000 is a Snell 2005 rated helmet.

From what I've read, Scorpion has choose not to submit their helmets to Snell 2010 ratings because of the unrealistic expectations (i.e. double impact, etc.). Increasing the material needed to meet this expectation not only increased the weight and cost of the helmet, but also reduces the helmets capability of properly absorbing impact force. That's why Snell 2010 rated helmets are not recommended for youth riders.

Personally, I wouldn't exclude the 500 because it wasn't Snell 2010 rated. It has both DOT and ECE ratings which are now pretty comparable to older Snell certifications.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 05:00:07 PM by OregonLAN »

Offline OregonLAN

« Reply #52 on: June 15, 2011, 11:57:37 AM »
I don't know if it falls into your price range, but you may want to check out the Bell Revolver. I'm looking hard at a Bell because they now have a transition shield and webbikeworld is rating their current lineup very highly.

For the price, the Bell Revolver is a really nice helmet. However, it fits a very round head. Also, the transitions shield is $$$ (almost as much as the helmet).

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
« Reply #53 on: June 15, 2011, 02:17:16 PM »
I personally will not go into a dealer, try on the helmets or other gear to find out what fits. Then leave and order it somewhere else to save a few dollars! I'm not pointing fingers at anybody, but I personally won't do that. I feel it's not right. And in a way, I feel that it's kind of like theft of service.
 The dealer pays to stock the items, electric, heat and/or AC, for their customers. I'm sure the prices are listed on the items. If I felt the prices are so high I must order elsewhere. There is the option to leave then and buy else where because I want to pay less. To then go ahead and try items on to find out what I want, and then buy elsewhere is IMO, just not right. So I personally won't do that.
 I realize that dealers prices are sometimes higher than I can buy on line for. But sometimes if I ask, they give me a better price for being a loyal customer. I also realize that the dealer is a business, and as such needs to make a profit to survive. The fact is that less, or not enough profit could mean the demise of the dealer. I personally like to keep the dealers around. There are things that I might need from them. So it's in my best interest to help them survive.
 Like I said, I am not pointing fingers at anyone. This is just my feelings and belief on this practice! reading this thread kind of reminded me of that. So I decided to voice my opinion on it. Not at anyone in particular, but as the group as a whole, in general!

GREAT POSTING!!!!!

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #54 on: June 15, 2011, 02:30:07 PM »
I read an article somewhere a long time back where snell rating makes a helmet too hard, wherein it transfers the impact force to the head.
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #55 on: June 16, 2011, 06:07:32 PM »
The EXO-1000 is a poly carbonate helmet, not carbon fiber.

Most helmets are still made using poly carbonate because carbon fiber increases the cost exponentially while only decreasing the weight slightly.

No.  The EXO-1000 is not just a traditional polycarbonate helmet.  It is actually a  fiberglass/kevlar mix:  "Scorpion EXO-1000 Helmet FiberglassKevlar Matrix Shell"   I mistyped in my original post, sorry (had "carbon fiber" on my mind for some reason).

The more expensive 700, 750, and 1000 claim/claimed Fiberglass/Kevlar

The cheaper 100, 200, 400 and even the new EXO-500 claim just polycarbonate.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline OregonLAN

« Reply #56 on: June 16, 2011, 07:29:34 PM »
No.  The EXO-1000 is not just a traditional polycarbonate helmet.  It is actually a  fiberglass/kevlar mix:  "Scorpion EXO-1000 Helmet FiberglassKevlar Matrix Shell"   I mistyped in my original post, sorry (had "carbon fiber" on my mind for some reason).

The more expensive 700, 750, and 1000 claim/claimed Fiberglass/Kevlar

The cheaper 100, 200, 400 and even the new EXO-500 claim just polycarbonate.

You are correct. When I watched the reviews on the EXO-1000, they mentioned polycarbonate, so I naturally assumed it was a polycarbonate construction. However, they were referring to the shield, not the construction of the helmet; I went back and watched the whole video afterwards. When I corrected you, all I knew about the helmet is that is was NOT made of carbon fiber. You'd be pretty hard pressed to find a FF helmet made of carbon fiber that "retailed" for $299.00. The HJC CL-15 is on closeout for ~$250 but originally retailed for $450+.

IMHO, neither polycarbonate, carbon fiber nor fiberglass are superior or inferior to the other. Each has it's benefits and drawbacks.

Offline CrashGordon

« Reply #57 on: June 17, 2011, 06:12:26 AM »
I read an article somewhere a long time back where snell rating makes a helmet too hard, wherein it transfers the impact force to the head.

Yes, I think that was Motorcyclist a few years back. It revealed two problems, if I recall. One of the problems stemmed form Snell only using one size head dummy for their test (and thus only one weight--a larger, heavier one). This was fine if you had a big, heavy head and wore a larger size, but the smaller helmets ended up being too stiff and imparting too many g's during an impact.  The second problem was the double impact test. It's basically a one-in-a-million collision, but in order to pass the test the internal polystyrene had to be harder to deform and this made it more likely to cause injury during a common collision.  Snell took notice and has changed their testing methods. I believe it was taken into account for the newer Snell 2010 certification.