Author Topic: Whelen T1R3 LED Brake Lights on my C-14....keeps cagers off your 6!  (Read 7275 times)

Offline ninjawarrior1400

• "There is no second place winner in a gunfight."
I installed two sets (4), Whelen LED clear lens T1R3 type brake lights, made an aluminum license plate mounting bracket to co-locate the lights next to the tag for a nice rear appearance.

I arranged two firing patterns top to bottom for an awesome rear effect. Cagers stay back several feet from my 6 o'clock, maybe in awe of the light effects.  So, this is a real safety addition to the C-14.

Lights are expensive..but the best safety devices can save your life..what's a few more dollars?

Made a short video ...bike in my garage..nighttime, walking up to the bike from 60 feet away with my Iphone taking the short video, as you get closer to the bike as another car would from a traffic light, the individual lights become more defined in appearance...but from a distance, there is a red hue/glow affect...similar to an ambulance lighting...a nice upgrade for the C-14 or any bike.

I took several pics of these lights so if you can't open the video herein, e mail me and I can send you several pics of the lights in action, cause each millisecond, the sequence changes....you have to see it on video to really appreciate what these LED's can do!

Ninjawarrior,
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 08:17:14 AM by ninjawarrior1400 »
Ninjawarrior

Offline jonathan

Re: Whelen T1R3 LED Brake Lights on my C-14....keeps cagers off your 6!
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 08:24:12 AM »
Can we see what they look like in the daylight with the bike off? I want to see how you mounted them. Thanks.

Offline XHarleyRider

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 10:34:48 AM »
What did you use for a power source?  Wondering if you can explain how you wired them up?  Thanks and nice job.

Offline ninjawarrior1400

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 10:49:24 AM »
Used the existing brake wires to connect them...however, one set ...the top set is located closer to the battery power source wire.  The lower lights which flash a millisecond later.....are wired to the same brake light harness...but further to the rear...so it takes the power just a split millisecond later to arrive at the light.....

The top led's are primary, the bottom set are secondary accordingly...therefore giving you the binary flash cycles.

Here are a couple of daytime pics....

Ninjawarrior
Ninjawarrior

Offline XHarleyRider

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 01:25:14 PM »
Cool. Thanks.  I was thinking of fitting one where the red reflector is currently located and keep it steadily on at night.  I think someone in here has already done that but it was in the last forum.  Your install is very clean.  BTW, I'm guessing you can lower and  raise your tag at will from the looks of your daytime pictures.

Offline ninjawarrior1400

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2011, 03:19:53 PM »
Affirmative on the tag..and that is a Laser jammer above the tag too~!

The Whelens are running lights all the time..and when when you hit the brakes...that's when the interesting things begin to happen on the rear!

Ninja
Ninjawarrior

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2011, 03:29:36 PM »
Why would you have a Laser Jammer on the rear?  Nice job on install.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2011, 04:28:39 PM »
I installed two sets (4), Whelen LED clear lens T1R3 type brake lights, made an aluminum license plate mounting bracket to co-locate the lights next to the tag for a nice rear appearance.

Made a short video ...
Is that the GIF that is attached?  I can't seem to get that to work at all on my system.
Anyway, I think more brakes lights are better, but if they are animated and don't stop after a few seconds, it would not be for me because I don't need or want to annoy drivers at stoplights on hills and such.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline ninjawarrior1400

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2011, 04:57:09 PM »
The same reason Aircraft carriers have machine guns fore and aft and port and starbard...in case you get a lazer gun aimed at you while you are passing the trooper and he was drinking a coke when you came by and could not put the coke down fast enough to pick up his lazer gun and take aim at you....so he shoots you going away.....except he can't hit me no matter how good a shooter he is....I am invisible!

Kind of like a fleeing felon law.....we have those laws down here in Florida!

Maxtog...if you don't like animation..release your brakes...simple!

Ninja
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 05:46:32 PM by ninjawarrior1400 »
Ninjawarrior

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2011, 06:13:23 PM »
If he knows what he is doing he will stop you and take a look to see why his Laser did not acquire you, or just say F it if he's not motivated and in that case it will be a good day.

Offline ninjawarrior1400

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2011, 07:19:06 PM »
The tag also has VERY Special Treatment to make it NON-REFLECTIVE, since it is the only real piece of metal on the rear of the bike....it is pretty much Stealth....kind of like a Ninja!

Ninjawarrior
Ninjawarrior

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2011, 09:39:37 PM »
Maxtog...if you don't like animation..release your brakes...simple!

Not when (like I said) you are at a stoplight that is not level and need to use brakes to keep from rolling away!  Besides, I *like* animation (of the right type), just not continuous.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline jonathan

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2011, 10:49:54 AM »
Affirmative on the tag..and that is a Laser jammer above the tag too~!

The Whelens are running lights all the time..and when when you hit the brakes...that's when the interesting things begin to happen on the rear!

Ninja

Can you explain this a bit more, as I thought that these lights were single brilliance. That is there is only one brightness level so I don't understand how they can do 2 things.

Offline ninjawarrior1400

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2011, 06:14:56 AM »
They are both running lights, and brake light capability.  On when you start the motor...then when you hit the brakes...then they do their magic.

Ninja
Ninjawarrior

Offline Bagger

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2011, 06:27:17 AM »
I have something similar.  I used a Whelen LED light bar mounted near the marker plate using power from the plate lamp.

The bar has amber blinkers and red running/brake lights.  Extremely bright !  I used the same set up on my ST1300 and several of my riding buddies have installed same/same/
"I'm not a vigilante ... I'm just an undocumented border patrol agent."

Offline jonathan

« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2011, 08:59:50 AM »
They are both running lights, and brake light capability.  On when you start the motor...then when you hit the brakes...then they do their magic.

Ninja

Sorry, but I'm still not getting it. The TIR3s only have one power wire and to be both running and brake lights they would need two power feeds. Do you have all 4 hooked up as running/brake or did you split them with 2 as running and 2 as brake? If all 4 are running/brake how did you do that? I can't open the movie that you posted, which may have answered my questions.

Offline XHarleyRider

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2011, 06:00:20 PM »
I'm going to guess that Ninja has the lights set to come on when the bike starts.  When he activates the brakes they flash in some sort of preset series.  So, the lights remain the same brightness but they begin to flash in a preset pattern when he activates the brakes.  I'm familiar with these lights and one will get your attention.  Six would be visible a mile away.

Offline jonathan

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2011, 08:40:21 AM »
I'm going to guess that Ninja has the lights set to come on when the bike starts.  When he activates the brakes they flash in some sort of preset series.  So, the lights remain the same brightness but they begin to flash in a preset pattern when he activates the brakes.  I'm familiar with these lights and one will get your attention.  Six would be visible a mile away.

That's what I don't get. There is only one power wire so they are either on (flashing or solid) or off. If he has them hooked up so that there are 2 "on" modes then I would like to know how he did it.