Author Topic: GM, Ford, And Others Want to Make Working on Your Own Car Illegal  (Read 10593 times)

Offline Rhino

• Arena
https://www.yahoo.com/autos/s/gm-ford-others-want-working-own-car-illegal-160000229.html

13 auto makers support this legislation. I notice Honda and Nissan are not on the list. I own vehicles from both of them.

Offline timsatx

• Arena
Re: GM, Ford, And Others Want to Make Working on Your Own Car Illegal
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2015, 01:59:02 PM »
I heard about this yesterday. Pretty asinine if you ask me.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2015, 02:04:43 PM »
Looks like an attempt to repeal Magnuson-Moss by default.

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2015, 02:38:01 PM »
Not going to happen...
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline DeansZG

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2015, 05:06:39 PM »
   Well..... blood pressure went through the roof when I first heard about this >:(....

Now that I've had a bit of time to cool down, other than minor maintenance, ie; oil/filter changes, brake maintenance, etc... you have to be a computer geek to diagnose running issues with vehicles anymore.

Thankfully, todays' vehicles are pretty darn reliable(for the most part anyway) & one heck of a lot more fuel efficient than vehicles from the 70's...

'99 C10 "MissTriss" *sold*
'04 ZZR1200 "Sweet heart" *sold*
'81 GL1100 Interstate "Puttz"*sold*
'00 K12LT..."Battleship Galactica".....

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2015, 05:21:12 PM »
"Ironically, one of the brands that relies most on technology in its vehicles — Tesla Motors — in not in support of DMCA. While other American companies like GM, Ford and Chrysler all agree that working on your own vehicle should be punishable by law."

Wasn't Tesla the one that got hacked recently?

Offline Bob Skinner

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2015, 05:36:15 PM »
I could go along with this IF;
Manufacturers would do all repair and parts for FREE, This aftermarket includes parts covered by theMagnuson-Moss act.
If they "OWN" the vehicle and we just use/rent it aren't they responsible for repairs, modifications to suit the leasee's needs. Including all maintenance.
John Deer should look at Mahendra (spelling) tractors as the company that will replace them.

Bob Skinner

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2015, 10:35:23 PM »
I saw that and posted a thread about it on www.gm-trucks.com.

Just try and stop me from doing what I want on my vehicles. 

Although I do see it as possible someday in the future for liability reasons if nothing else.  Someone will convince other vehicle owners that us guys who do our own work are making the world more dangerous for THEM by doing sub-standard repairs.

However, the comment in the article about removing unnecessary electronic crap so "we" won't be messing with it sits very well with me. 
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2015, 05:33:01 AM »
I do believe that they are talking about modifying ECUs or the computers that run cars, not working on the mechanicals.  It depends on how the act can be construed.  There are quite a few sensors that communicate to the main computer and what about them?  Does that apply as well?  I guess we might find out.  I haven't touched or modified any magic boxes in my vehicles and have no intention to do so.  I was thinking of doing the re-flash to the bike but it has all the power I currently need so I'm thinking I'm staying stock on that.

How many of you modify the computers on your cars or remove sensors that communicate to the computer system?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2015, 07:24:18 AM »
I do believe that they are talking about modifying ECUs or the computers that run cars, not working on the mechanicals.  It depends on how the act can be construed.  There are quite a few sensors that communicate to the main computer and what about them?  Does that apply as well?  I guess we might find out.  I haven't touched or modified any magic boxes in my vehicles and have no intention to do so.  I was thinking of doing the re-flash to the bike but it has all the power I currently need so I'm thinking I'm staying stock on that.

How many of you modify the computers on your cars or remove sensors that communicate to the computer system?

I changed the gear ratio and put larger tires on a truck.  That required me to get a programmer and go in through the obd2 port to change the computer setting so the abs system would work properly.  I coulda change shift points and a few other things as well.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2015, 04:42:59 AM »

I do, well, sort of. I have software for communicating with the ECU in my Volkswagen TDI.
This software isn't a hack though...I bought it from a reputable USA company.
I do have access to some ECU control parameters...ignition timing, EGR valve control, some fueling, etc.

For me, it's more of a troubleshooting tool and for fine tuning.
After changing the timing belt in these cars, the timing must be set correctly...and you do need to somehow "speak" to the ECU in order to do so.

I also had the software for flashing the ECU in my C14, and I did so, many times.

I can't imagine any of the car manufacturers really worrying much about us changing our own oil and filters, or pads and rotors...but...I can certainly understand their concern over the average Joe with a credit card buying software that allows them to hack their own ECU's.

And this isn't new stuff...this has been going on for years.

The original OBDII system was for emissions controls...but it covers much more than that now. People disconnecting emissions system controls is one thing...while illegal in some states...it is not illegal in some others. Emissions issues are not safety issues...but they are moral issues.

Scenarios of concern that I can see are:

An end user that modifies his car's ECU, but then also flashes the stock programming back in before bringing the car into the dealer for a warranty claim. This happens.

An end user that gets sick of looking at an ABS malfunction light on the dash...and then goes into the ECU to disable the sensor, or module, etc in order to save the $600 required to repair the problem correctly. This happens.

Etc, etc, etc...
“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2015, 05:44:38 AM »
Or the end user hacking the fedgov mandated 'black box' data recorder that uploads your every transgression to your insurance company and appropriate government agency.

Offline DeansZG

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2015, 06:29:28 AM »
Or the end user hacking the fedgov mandated 'black box' data recorder that uploads your every transgression to your insurance company and appropriate government agency.

DING, DING, Ding,....We have a WINNER!!! :censored: 

Precisely what that little black box was that FLO (Progressive insurance) wanted you to try out for free!!  Both my boys wanted to give it a try & I reminded them that it WILL record ALL your BAD driving habits & you'll get priced accordingly..... >:(
'99 C10 "MissTriss" *sold*
'04 ZZR1200 "Sweet heart" *sold*
'81 GL1100 Interstate "Puttz"*sold*
'00 K12LT..."Battleship Galactica".....

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2015, 07:10:56 AM »
Even though I don't drive excessively, I won't use one of those little boxes.  Any data will be used against you.  Insurance companies are way down on my trust list.  Even my agent says to put all communications through him rather than calling them directly.  And yes, I am paranoid when it comes to that sort of thing.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline sherob

• Arena
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline Leo

« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2015, 05:36:33 PM »
They can have my Snap On roll around tool chest when they pry it and my M14 from my cold, dead fingers.....
Yep, still riding the old one

In Indiana, missing Texas

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2015, 11:28:10 PM »
The more of this I see, the more I want to sell my 2006 GMC truck and restore the 1990 Toyota truck.  It only has 360,000 miles on it so it should be good for another 20 years or so.  By then "they" won't let us drive ourselves anyway.
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline KZBell

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2015, 05:58:29 AM »
Not sure most techs at Ford would know how to Time let alone work on my '84 Ford F250 6.9 IH IDI w/ Banks Turbo.
Certified Zip-Tie Mechanic

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2015, 07:14:18 AM »

I haven't yet on any of my cars or trucks but have done so on my C14. Also considered it on my Xterra. I put larger tires on it and wanted to reprogram to get a proper speedometer reading.

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2015, 07:39:40 AM »
I think that if something like that ooccurred, it would only throw down the gauntlet to the aftermarket and the enthusiasts. Let the party begin....
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....