Author Topic: So after her winter nap I go to start and have nothing.  (Read 14182 times)

Offline dl1911

Re: So after her winter nap I go to start and have nothing.
« Reply #60 on: July 05, 2023, 09:20:27 AM »
Thank you!!

Offline dl1911

« Reply #61 on: August 01, 2023, 09:54:54 AM »
 I thought I would give you an update on my electrical issue. I have diagnosed about everything you could imagine. Last night I was checking voltages at my fuse panels and low and behold fuse box #3 should have battery voltage on the 10amp "Screen" and "Talk Back" fuses. Mine didnt have anything!!!
                                                                                                                                                                                                         So what I did was, made a jumper to go between those two terminals and then used a power probe to supply 12 volts. When I did that I got KiPass to engage the way it is supposed to, the LCD screen on the dash came to life, and the fuel pump ran!!! PROGRESS!!!!
                                                                                                                                                                                                        So now the bike has to come almost completely down so I can trace the white power wire coming off the starter relay that provides power to fuse block #3 which in turn powers the three things I didnt have working.
                                                                                                                                                                                                      I am assuming I have a chewed, broken wire or a loose splice connector as there are several on these bikes.                                                                                                  I love my concours but damn do they have to make things complicated!!

Offline Freddy

« Reply #62 on: August 01, 2023, 06:11:01 PM »
 :banana
The best substitute for brains is .............what?

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #63 on: August 02, 2023, 01:51:05 AM »
Result!  ;D
Sounds very much like Los Roedoros have been a chewing on yer wiring harness.
Seems to be a common-ish issue.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline Big Red

• Arena
« Reply #64 on: August 02, 2023, 08:22:52 AM »
According to the diagram, that white wire only goes to the regulator and the starter relay. If you have continuity between the regulator/rectifier and the relay, I would just run a single new wire from the starter relay to your fuse box.
2010 C14, Shoodaben Engineering MRP Flash, Delkevic slip-on, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, highway pegs, tail tidy, AST peg lowering brackets, LED switchbacks all the way around, Bright2Wheels tail light, StompGrips, custom seat, 2015 C14 vented and blacked out windshield, Dunlop RS3s, and a Fat Ninja hat.

Offline dl1911

« Reply #65 on: August 06, 2023, 07:02:42 PM »
Big Red, yes that is a consideration but I want to trace the wire to inspect for rodent damage on anything else.
Its a lot of extra work but I want to do it right and only once.
Thank you for the idea though.

Offline Rubber_Snake

• Arena
  • 2009 GTR1400 ABS, Black
« Reply #66 on: August 07, 2023, 09:09:26 AM »
Big Red, yes that is a consideration but I want to trace the wire to inspect for rodent damage on anything else.
Its a lot of extra work but I want to do it right and only once.
Thank you for the idea though.
Did she fire up for you?  Or are you still tracing other problems?  I agree that you ought to track down the area where the mouse damaged the white wire to check for other damage, but it would be nice to know you could at least get her running, too. 
2009 GTR 1400 ABS, 48k miles, AMSOIL synthetic 10W-40 (since new), AMSOIL synthetic 75W-90 final drive (since new). Helibar Horizons, Oxford heated grips, V-Stream windscreen, Mountain Runner Flash, Brian’s low fuel eliminator farkle, ST2 smart brake module and smart turn system, Two Brothers Black Series M5 w/P1X decibel killer.

Offline dl1911

« Reply #67 on: August 13, 2023, 05:18:37 AM »
Rubber Snake,
I havent had the chance to get back to working on it just yet.
I will report back as soon as I find more out.

Offline dl1911

« Reply #68 on: October 01, 2023, 07:45:05 AM »
Okay Gents another update but still not the solution.
Inside the main wiring harness the runs down the left side of the bike I found a bad factory splice on the white power wire runni g to the rear ECUs. Once I repaired this section of wire everything came to life.
KiPass, fuel pump, and dash all working. Cranking the motor over and she still wont fire off. One thing I did notice that while cranking the red LED security light flashes. I dont know if it did that before or not?
Attempted to start 3 times. Cranks fine but no fire.
I walked out of the garage to take a leak and when I came back I had nothing again. Started trouble shooting again and one thing I found was I have power(red) wire going into the ignition module on the KiPass unit but I have no power on the (red/white) power coming out with the key one?
Could the ignition module located on the switch house have gone bad?

Does anyone know of a resource that knows the systems on these bikes that I can call and talk to?

This is becoming more than frustrating.
Thanks, Dave

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #69 on: October 01, 2023, 09:29:32 AM »
I am struck by how much white debris is inside that bundle, implying it has been getting wet and exposed to contaminates.   You didn't say, but I assume there was one wire that broke.  But the copper looks pretty good, so I would suspect it was mechanical failure (vibration, tugging, twisting, rubbing) there and not corroded-through.  Could have been weakened due to corrosion and then broke when you manipulated it.

In any case, if you find something like that, it raises the odds that there is yet another issue, somewhere.

I can't speak to the non-starting and then going completely dead again.  First part could be so many things, especially if it hasn't run in a long time (presumably at this point, coming close to a year now).  Could also be the battery voltage dropped below acceptable.  Second part could be that once the wiring relaxed again, another wiring issue asserted itself.  Might also need to check battery voltage under load, and all the fuses yet again :(
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Freddy

« Reply #70 on: October 01, 2023, 04:08:30 PM »
The Red LED should not flash while cranking.  That would indicate that the imoboliser / Kipass is still activated.  You need to get back to the better situation you had on Aug 1 somehow, then spray some starting fluid into the indate to check if any life.

It seems to me that there is more rodent damage to be found.

Offline dl1911

« Reply #71 on: October 02, 2023, 08:01:31 AM »
So can anyone give me definitive answer to the following question?

IF I were to purchase the KiPass ECU, ignition switch unit to include the immobilizer, fobs, gas cap, and seat release from another bike would I be able to swap these components out without reprogramming using KDS?

Thanks in advance.

Offline dl1911

« Reply #72 on: October 02, 2023, 08:09:14 AM »
Freddy,

I have had almost the entire wire harness exposed now and have found no chewed wires. The White power wire that I did find broken was corroded to the point that the strands in the wire just broken off. Could have been vibration or whatever but none the less there were three white wires(Power) being affected.

The issue now is appearing to be the immobilizer. If I check power going into the immobilzer I have battery voltage. With the ignition switch in the one position I have no power coming out to go to the KiPass ecu.

Im beginning to think it must be something in the immobilizer that has gone bad?

Offline Michelle

• Saving the chubby unicorns
« Reply #73 on: October 02, 2023, 04:20:03 PM »
So can anyone give me definitive answer to the following question?

IF I were to purchase the KiPass ECU, ignition switch unit to include the immobilizer, fobs, gas cap, and seat release from another bike would I be able to swap these components out without reprogramming using KDS?

Thanks in advance.

Yes.
To do a complete swap with no programming you would need:
Ignition switch
Key
Fob(s)
Kipass ecu
FI ecu
TPMS sensors
and locks for tank, seat and saddlebags.
Neutron Silver 08 1400GTR ABS with KTRC K-ACT and ECO
Glitter White 2010 1400GTR
Windsor Green 1997 GTR1000

Offline Freddy

« Reply #74 on: October 02, 2023, 04:22:03 PM »
Wot she said^

TPMSsensors optional; Fuel Injection ECU essential - all from the one bike.

Other locks you already have the key for.   ;D
« Last Edit: October 02, 2023, 06:20:36 PM by Freddy »

Offline Michelle

• Saving the chubby unicorns
« Reply #75 on: October 02, 2023, 04:26:15 PM »
If it were my bike I'd replace the wiring harness before buying a complete and expensive set of electronics.
Neutron Silver 08 1400GTR ABS with KTRC K-ACT and ECO
Glitter White 2010 1400GTR
Windsor Green 1997 GTR1000

Offline Freddy

« Reply #76 on: October 03, 2023, 03:19:48 PM »
dl - why don't you just replace the fuel ECI as previously suggested?  The Kipass side of things seems to be functioning as it should from what you have described.  Don't you have access to a dealer with KDS?

Offline dl1911

« Reply #77 on: October 03, 2023, 04:35:03 PM »
Freddy,
The fuel ecu passes all tests according to the factory manual.
After I repaired the white wires in the harness I had everything working but still wouldnt start.
While cranking the security light is continuosly flashing.
One of the people above said that indicated that the immobilizer is still active preventing spark.
When I test the imobilizer I have power going in but nothing coming out.
Im going to attempt bypassing the imobilzer to see if I can get it to fire.
I have one dealer about 2 hours away that probably has KDS but they charge $120/hr and they wont touch the bike if it is partially torn apart(plastics and such).
I dont mind rrplacing parts but I want to know what to replace before I just throw money at it if that makes sense.

Offline Freddy

« Reply #78 on: October 03, 2023, 04:41:31 PM »
Understood.

While cranking the security light is continuosly flashing.
One of the people above said that indicated that the immobilizer is still active preventing spark

That was me.   ;D

Offline dl1911

« Reply #79 on: October 03, 2023, 06:33:27 PM »
Thank you for that explanation as it directed me to look at the imobilizor.