Author Topic: Side bag key knobs  (Read 19511 times)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: Side bag key knobs
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2011, 04:52:53 PM »
Well, couldn't you just use the small pistol to shoot your way into the saddlebag and get the bigger pistol?   :D

Brian

I look at it like this:

I carry a .380 on my hip and .25 on my ankle, will that stop a charging zombie?   Maybe, maybe not.  So I would like quick access to my real firepower, the Kimber .45 which will most definitely dispatch anything with extreme prejudice.  Do I want to be fumbling with the fob or the stoveknob key while a zombie is bearing down on me, no way.  I want to be able to unlock the pannier in the most expeditious way possible and the "toilet bowl" mod is the best way I have seen.   ;)

Disclaimer:  I really don't believe in zombies, but I was in East St. Louis and Washington D.C. in the same 24 time period so I can say that firepower on a bike isn't exactly a bad thing when you find yourself on the wrong side of the tracks trying to refuel at 0200 hrs.   ;D
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline MrFurious

« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2011, 05:33:33 PM »
Well, couldn't you just use the small pistol to shoot your way into the saddlebag and get the bigger pistol?   :D

Brian

Or just carry the manly pistol and leave the girly ones at home.   ;D

Jim B.
COG #9642
2009 C14 - Black - Non-ABS
Insanity is not as easy as I make it look!

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2011, 06:46:08 PM »
no he didn't.....but I do have Kimber envy...

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2011, 06:55:14 PM »

Brian

Why waste rounds when I can use my toilet key to gain access. 

MrFurious:

It ain't the size of the boat, it is the motion of the ocean.  I bet you tell yourself that all the time.   ;D
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline BS-in-KS

« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2011, 02:55:21 PM »
If he had my kinda luck he'd wind up jamming the small pistol while accidentally shooting the bigger pistol while trying to shoot his way into the saddlebag.  Then the mini on the ankle would become entangled somehow in his shoelaces (even though they were tucked) and all he'd be left with were the tweezers on his swiss army knife.  A formidable weapon in their own right... but not to a zombie.  But hey, that's just my luck.  ;D

Brian

Offline Conrad

« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2011, 05:21:31 AM »
If he had my kinda luck he'd wind up jamming the small pistol while accidentally shooting the bigger pistol while trying to shoot his way into the saddlebag.  Then the mini on the ankle would become entangled somehow in his shoelaces (even though they were tucked) and all he'd be left with were the tweezers on his swiss army knife.  A formidable weapon in their own right... but not to a zombie.  But hey, that's just my luck.  ;D

Zombies get splinters too. Maybe if he were to help a zombie out with the splinter problem he'd still be ok, kinda like the story of lion and the thorn.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2011, 05:47:02 AM »
Ok guys, veer this back on topic please...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2011, 09:12:43 AM »
Sorry Jim.

Back on topic.

If anyone needs some knobs, let me know...

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2011, 09:28:16 AM »
I guess we know where to get knobs.  Thanks!
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2011, 11:41:12 AM »
Wow Conrad, that is a big box 'o knobs you have there....

Sorry Jim.... back on topic: Wow Conrad, that is a big box of [potential C-14 key holding] knobs you have there....

;D

Brian

Sorry Jim.

Back on topic.

If anyone needs some knobs, let me know...
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Conrad

« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2011, 01:15:02 PM »
Why thank you Brian, you'd be surprise at how often I hear that.

Ahem, that be a drawer 'o knobs thank you.

Offline BudCallaghan

• Rider proficiency determines worth of horsepower
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2011, 09:52:14 AM »
This is my idea of a great idea as I use the bags frequently and very seldom have any concern for security.  When I do, I simply remove the key/caps.  I used JB Weld and the caps from Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar bottles.  They're a perfect size and have a textured top that matches the top of the bags and also have serrations on the side that provide a secure grip when turning them.  It is essential that the key be centered, cut to the correct length and perpendicular to the top of the cap.  This is what I jury rigged to accomplish the task:

I also have a Givi top box that I use occasionally.  I did the same with its key.  I simply used a smaller black plastic cap that looks the same as the two I used for the bags.  I really appreciate the convenience of using all three storage units without digging for a key.  On rare occasions when I want the locks to be locks I simply put the key/caps in my pocket or in one of the bags and all is secure.     

« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 01:40:43 AM by BudCallaghan »
Never let schooling interfere with your education or your ambition.

Offline lddave

« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2011, 12:36:31 PM »
I took a stainless nut drilled the threads out , made the id of nut so I could press the key into it . I never remove the big key from the switch . Use the bag key for the gas cap also . Plus I do not need to shut engine off to refuel .
Dave
IBA 178

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2011, 07:42:40 PM »
I took a stainless nut drilled the threads out , made the id of nut so I could press the key into it . I never remove the big key from the switch . Use the bag key for the gas cap also . Plus I do not need to shut engine off to refuel .

Is there any particular reason why you wouldn't want to turn your engine off to refuel?  You must want to keep your crotch warmer......umm, warm.
Weak battery perhaps?  I have a good stocker that could help you out.   ;)
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2011, 05:05:25 AM »
Is there any particular reason why you wouldn't want to turn your engine off to refuel?  You must want to keep your crotch warmer......umm, warm.

I was wondering the same thing...

Offline PH14

« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2011, 09:05:12 AM »
I was wondering the same thing...

Some people have an aversion to removing the stove key. For me, I still see the implementation of KIPASS to be ridiculous. It isn't a well thought out system. If you still have to use a key for the bags and the gas, then what's the point? If you could, at the least, leave the bags unlocked while riding so you could open them without a key it would be a little better. To me, a normal keyed ignition would be easier than removing the stove key or getting the key off the fob.  For me removing the stove key is the easiest way to tame the KIPASS "system," but in doing so it seems to render the "system" pointless.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2011, 09:18:16 AM »
KiPass has no effect on whether or not the saddlebags have to be locked when they are closed. That system simply uses a key to open and close- it has nothing at all to do with KiPass.

How would a 'normal' ignition key be different then the ignition key that comes with a C-14?

It is all fine and well if you do not like KiPass but I am not following your logic in sighting the items that you have and the problems associated with them. ???

Brian

Some people have an aversion to removing the stove key. For me, I still see the implementation of KIPASS to be ridiculous. It isn't a well thought out system. If you still have to use a key for the bags and the gas, then what's the point? If you could, at the least, leave the bags unlocked while riding so you could open them without a key it would be a little better. To me, a normal keyed ignition would be easier than removing the stove key or getting the key off the fob.  For me removing the stove key is the easiest way to tame the KIPASS "system," but in doing so it seems to render the "system" pointless.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2011, 09:20:33 AM »
I cannot speak for Dave but a lot of long distance riders leave the bike running while fueling because it may be faster and at any rate, they will be getting fuel for such a short time there is no point in shutting the bike off. Fuel stops can be done extremely quickly if you are willing to do them a bit unconventionally.

Brian

Offline lddave

« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2011, 09:26:03 AM »
I cannot speak for Dave but a lot of long distance riders leave the bike running while fueling because it may be faster and at any rate, they will be getting fuel for such a short time there is no point in shutting the bike off. Fuel stops can be done extremely quickly if you are willing to do them a bit unconventionally.

Brian
[/quot

Bingo Brain is correct . Also if your battery is weak your Kipass is acting up and you do not want to turn the bike off .
Dave
IBA 178

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2011, 11:43:23 AM »
Yeah, I fuel like that too although I do shut the engine down as I have to use the ign. key to open the fuel cap (or 'gashole' as it is known around here). Some of the people I ride with occasionally are amazed at how fast a fuel stop can be done. I have done some IBA riding and would have left a dedicated key in the fuel cap if I had thought of it before a particularly long ride.

Hey, it is only really dangerous to leave the engine running while fueling if you spill fuel all over the place and / or drop your cigarette.  ;D

Brian

Bingo Brain is correct . Also if your battery is weak your Kipass is acting up and you do not want to turn the bike off .