Author Topic: A Year Later  (Read 20736 times)

Offline mikeb2411

Re: A Year Later
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2015, 11:43:17 AM »
Mike
Ojai, CA
2016 Black Triumph Trophy SE

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2015, 03:32:15 PM »
Which one?

Leo for the left exhaust pipe and Vince for the right exhaust pipe?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 05:11:58 PM by maxtog »
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2015, 03:34:18 PM »
Leo for the left exhaust pipe and Vance for the right exhaust pipe?

LOL...is that how it works?

So that means people are buying a Vance for one side and a Hines for the other :o?
Mike
Ojai, CA

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2015, 11:14:39 PM »
Hey everyone, I bought my 2012 Concours a little over a year ago (May 2014) after going 20 years between bikes. My first bike was a Kawasaki EX 500 which I figured out real fast was too small. I went from that to a Kawasaki ZX6 and while owning the ZX6 I bought a Honda Magna which I HATED! It was a great deal so I bought it but rode it a little and sold it because it was a long way from the type of bike I enjoy riding.  I sold the ZX6 20 years ago when my wife became pregnant and we bought our house. It took about 5 years before I was bugging my wife for a new bike but she wouldn't budge (gotta love that woman for keeping me grounded)!

Flashback to 2008...I have a friend who was all BMW and was constantly telling me I should buy the RT but then another friend who worked for Kawasaki told me I should check out the newly released Concours. I did and when I first saw the Concours in 2008 I fell in love with it and knew it was the bike I wanted next but between the house and kids I couldn't justify buying one at that time...truth is, I still couldn't convince my wife to let me buy one :-[.

FINALLY, in May of 2014 I found my Concours on "Cycle Trader" and asked my wife if I could buy it and she said "yes" :o! After I picked myself up off the floor from the shock of her giving me the "green light" I called and set up the deal and a week later was riding home on MY Concours! The bike was in San Bernadino which is about 3 hours South of where I live. My wife and 12 year old son drove down with me and our first stop was Chaparral Motorsports to buy my gear (Helmets for my wife and I, SENA Comms for both, pants, jacket, boots and gloves). Many of you live outside of California but if you ever get the chance to go to Chaparral Motorsports...DO IT! That place is awesome!

Bought my gear while surviving "looks of death" from my wife as the amount spent kept increasing >:( After the shopping we went and bought the bike. I test rode the bike first and I'm going to be honest...I was scared to death, after 20 years, to be on a bike as big as the Concours! It was pretty "sketchy" to say the least :-[! As scary as it was I loved it and knew I wanted...needed it so I bought it and off we went.

Now, picture this...my wife and son in the car behind me. My son has my wife's helmet on and the comms connected and he's talking to me as I ride and they follow behind. We would stop at lights and people would look at him in the car with a Modular helmet on and laugh...but he didn't care, he thought it was the coolest thing EVER!

Now, I'm going to admit, I was NOT comfortable on the bike for quite some time. I remember being afraid of it's size, how heavy it felt when cornering, and I remember riding down the freeway or through the twisties and squeezing the grips SO tight and being so rigid that rides were uncomfortable...it was terrible! I couldn't get over the thought of this big bike I was on and thinking it was going to fall over every time I tried to push it through any curve. For a long time I had "Maxtog" chicken strips (sorry Maxtog, I still love you but your chicken strips were the only reference I had).

A year into the bike I went on a 5000 mile road trip with my brother and prior to the trip was learning to relax and get more comfortable on the bike but wasn't quite there yet. Keep in mind prior to my road trip that I pretty much commuted back-and-forth to work and did some occasional weekend rides but nothing real long or anything where I pushed it beyond my comfort level with the bike. I still had some doubts on what the bike could do and how hard I could push her.

Day one on my road trip I was riding, about 8 hours in the saddle at this point, and was riding toward Prescott, AZ through the mountains (the twisties) and it wash there that I first scraped pegs...I was shocked and elated at the same time! I had actually pushed the bike to a point I thought it couldn't handle...scraping pegs! Scraping pegs wasn't and still isn't my goal but it was, at that moment, where I realized I didn't have to fear the bike like I did before that. I still respect it but don't fear it. For your info, the twisties going into Prescott are BEAUTIFUL 15-25 mph switchbacks...and lots of them!

I spent the rest of my trip riding through all the twisties on all the passes I could find and had a blast. It was the road trip that allowed me to finally break through and become comfortable on my bike...the big Concours I though was too big and heavy wasn't anymore. It was the perfect bike for me!

I am now comfortable (just added a Baldwin GT seat a month ago and it made a HUGE difference in my comfort level) and confident on my bike BUT I still have full respect for it. I now ride with a very relaxed grip and my body is relaxed and I am cornering faster and with much more confidence than ever before...especially if it's a road I'm familiar with. My "Chicken Strips" are just about to the edge of the tire now. I have my bike setup perfectly for me and love being on it...can't get enough of it! It's AMAZING what a year and time in the saddle can do for someone. I thought for sure that I was sold on buying the Triumph Trophy as my next bike because it handled "lighter" and better and was more comfortable than my bike is. The Trophy is a great bike and is still on the radar but so is a new Concours in about a year. Knowing that I can set the Concours up so it is "all day" comfortable makes choosing the next bike a tough one. I love the Concours and it's power and handling and am completely content on it. Who knows what's next but I am happy with my choice of buying the Concours and could easily move on to another, newer model when the time comes! LOVE the Concours!

P/whipped.

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2015, 08:54:10 AM »
P/whipped.

Are you trying to say, "pussy whipped"?

Trying to figure out what your post means.
Mike
Ojai, CA

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2015, 12:22:12 PM »
P/whipped.

Yeah, probably. Doubtful he was referring to Area P slip ons.
You'll note he capitalized the "P", his wife makes him do that as a sign of respect and obedience or he's cut off (E.B.! I was figuratively speaking).

Now returning to topic: mufflers?, a year later?, flies?,..oh darn now I've forgotten...I'll be back after I ask SWMBO what our topic is. 

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2015, 12:29:51 PM »
Yeah, probably. Doubtful he was referring to Area P slip ons.
You'll note he capitalized the "P", his wife makes him do that as a sign of respect and obedience or he's cut off (E.B.! I was figuratively speaking).

Now returning to topic: mufflers?, a year later?, flies?,..oh darn now I've forgotten...I'll be back after I ask SWMBO what our topic is. 

LOL...I was going to tell him it takes one to know one and then I was going to agree with his statement and, "yes", I am P/whipped! It's either that or live in misery and after 25 years of marriage I'm not about to "try" and rock that boat! I rock it all the time WITHOUT trying so I try to control what I can!

Mufflers...did someone mention mufflers?

I did order my slip-on today :thumbs:...Delkevic Carbon Fiber 14" Stubby with the "saw cut" end (not the little spout). I bought that one becuase...LOL...MY WIFE GAVE ME A LIMIT and it fit into that budget :grouphug:!!!
Mike
Ojai, CA

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2015, 01:15:47 PM »
I did order my slip-on today.....14" Stubby with the "saw cut" end (not the little spout). I bought that one because.....MY WIFE GAVE ME A LIMIT and it fit.

Oh so many ways to go with this.....Bueller....er... I mean Brian?...Brian?   ;D

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2015, 01:17:44 PM »

Oh so many ways to go with this.....Bueller....er... I mean Brian?...Brian?   ;D

We don't have enough "gutter" for the minds on this forum :o!
Mike
Ojai, CA

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2015, 01:19:15 PM »
We don't have enough "gutter" for the minds on this forum :o!

Let me rephrase that...we PROUDLY don't have enough "gutter" for the minds on this forum!
Mike
Ojai, CA

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2015, 02:53:20 PM »

I had one for 25 years, and now I'm completely healed- only the scars remain. And yes, she tried to stop me from riding, but I told her I wuz ridin' when I met her, and I reckon no one besides the Great Equalizer is gonna stop me from ridin'.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2015, 03:04:57 PM »
Yeah but 'cmon, sometimes it is just too easy. I mean I certainly do not mind batting the ball back over the net but someone has to at least get it all the way to me....

The world can be such a humorless place.... yesterday I was on the phone with an architect and I said something to the effect: 'I want to do something different- but not 'scary different' like when a prostitute hears it'. Not even a guffaw down the wire from the other end. I try and I try and it just bounces off. Sheesh. And now he is 'looking over my package' and you just KNOW I can do something with that but now I am wary that my rapier sharp wit is being lost. Woe is me :-(  Then again, he is probably telling an much more shocking story about this client he has....

;)

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2015, 03:05:15 PM »
I had one for 25 years, and now I'm completely healed- only the scars remain. And yes, she tried to stop me from riding, but I told her I wuz ridin' when I met her, and I reckon no one besides the Great Equalizer is gonna stop me from ridin'.

Trust me when I tell you I have had my battles too! I've had the EXACT same conversations and have the same feelings...I'm not putting the bike down, NO WAY! I think she finally gave in because I can pretty persisitant ;D and I am sure she was SICK of hearing it! And then, to top things off, I start farkling and I can't stop :o! She HATES that! But, I keep fighting for it and somehow I end getting what I want...uhum...what I need ;)!

It was just the other day that I told her I am going to move into a new bike when the 2017 models come out and she said "that's fine"...she even said she'll go with me to help pick it out becasue she does like to ride with me! I THINK I"M WEARING HER DOWN :chugbeer:!!!
Mike
Ojai, CA

Offline Pilgrim

• '12 Black
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2015, 04:20:50 PM »

Mufflers...did someone mention mufflers?

I did order my slip-on today :thumbs:...Delkevic Carbon Fiber 14" Stubby with the "saw cut" end (not the little spout). I bought that one becuase...LOL...MY WIFE GAVE ME A LIMIT and it fit into that budget :grouphug:!!!

Can you let us know how loud that one is?    I wonder how much of a decibel difference there is between the 14" and 18"?

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2015, 04:24:19 PM »
Can you let us know how loud that one is?    I wonder how much of a decibel difference there is between the 14" and 18"?

I'm wondering too! I like the look of it with the "sawed off end" look so I hope my eyes haven't done something my ears won't like!

My plan is to video it and post it so all can hear! I will try and get some numbers too...it'll be from my phone but at least it wil give us some idea.
Mike
Ojai, CA

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2015, 04:46:31 PM »
Can you let us know how loud that one is? 

Oh, it is 10% louder than a square past 40 degrees of purple on alternating Tuesdays...
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2015, 05:37:53 PM »
max. are you feeling a little fragmented again?

elp_jc

« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2015, 05:50:52 PM »
I hope my eyes haven't done something my ears won't like!
Hey, you bought the stubby? I wouldn't worry about your ears, but your WIFE's ::). It's going to be loud man, especially for a passenger. Unless you bought it PRECISELY for that reason ;D. Anyway, ask Ted (connie_rider) what he did to his can, in case you need to quiet it down a little. Good luck. 

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2015, 05:54:47 PM »
So Ted did something to his can, eh?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

elp_jc

« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2015, 06:01:56 PM »
So Ted did something to his can, eh?
He was experimenting with off-road 'dB killer' inserts, and even started a thread about it. But didn't follow up on it to know what happened. His wife (as a passenger) and neighbors weren't happy about the noise, for what I remember. So he was trying to fix that without replacing the can. And he didn't order the stubby ;).