Author Topic: New design for 2013 Precision Engineering Multi-Adjust Handlebars!!  (Read 20709 times)

Offline ZG

• Arena
Precision Engineering has just completely redesigned there multi-adjustable handlebars and I must say I am very impressed!!

My new set arrived on Friday and I finally got a chance to play around with them.  :P

From their website:

These adjustable handlebars are CNC machined out of billet 6061 aluminum. These are completely adjustable vertically, forward, backward for a super customizable riding position. These risers will allow 3" of adjustment rearward, 3" adjustment forward and 1.5" upward with out adjusting the hydraulic lines.
These risers have been completely re-designed for 2013 allowing for greater rearward adjustment towards the rider, relocating the hydraulic lines, more adjustability forward and backward with the use of "Face Splines, wider spacing at the triple clamp for better compatibility with Garmin GPS products and the use of all Metric hardware.

This product is supplied with all hardware needed to make installation very simple and straight forward.
These risers are available in your choice of black anodize or clear anodize to provide protection to the outside elements.

http://www.preeng.com/xcart/product.php?productid=56&cat=11&page=1

Things I really like about the new design...

The bolt holes in the bases are now larger to allow use of Murphs wedges if one wishes.

The new design has teeth where the arm connects to the base, giving endless adjustment options for forward/back, it also means they were able to get away from that one small bolt on the prior version to set the position.

The telescoping extensions now have about a 1/2" longer range to them, see below compared to their prior version.

They completely changed the position of the arm mount on the base, on the prior design the hole was just straight up and in the middle, on the new design it is angled back towards the rider and is also higher up, giving the bars even more height options and further back positioning. See pic below of the new angled base before I installed it compared to the prior center hole base design.

With this new design having more pull back and height options I now no longer need to use my 2" Heli risers to have the bars in the perfect position for me!!  :thumbs:

Only temporary down side of that is I currently have my Zumo mounted to my Heli riser mount, so today I went ahead and ordered up a new mount for my Zumo and will be losing the Heli risers all together!   :thumbs:

Here's some comparison shots of the prior design with the new design, one thing to note is that with the new design I don't even have them telescoped out at all to be in the same position as my prior set was completely telescoped out, so that means if one wishes they can be even closer to the rider or higher up, so many endless options with these bars. I really love this new design, it's so much cleaner IMO!

They're also now available in silver too if you want to go slower...   ;)

Prior design:

New design:

Look out Heli Horizon bars, there's a new sheriff in town!!

« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 09:38:21 PM by ZG »

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
Re: New design for 2013 Precision Engineering Multi-Adjust Handlebars!!
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 07:39:12 PM »
Can keep stock line lengths with these? If that is true I am really wanting these eventually.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 08:27:48 PM »
Can keep stock line lengths with these? If that is true I am really wanting these eventually.

I have longer lines so no issue for me but their site says "These risers will allow 3" of adjustment rearward, 3" adjustment forward and 1.5" upward with out adjusting the hydraulic lines." so I'd have to assume you're good to go Poke.
 :chugbeer:

Thanks also for reminding me, I forgot to post up this pic, that square cut-out spot you see allows you to relocate that mounting spot on the front of the upper triple clamp for that square on the oem lines, just like you'd do with the Heli risers.  8)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 08:58:30 PM »
Thanks for all the excellent info and pics!  Sounds like they have made a lot of improvements, especially by offering the correct *SILVER* color now, too.  Especially like the splined adjuster and the raised/tilted main eyelet.  I still like the looks of the Helibars Horizons much more, though.  The Precision has the telescoping feature that the Horizons lacks.  But the Horizons can adjust the grips in more ways.

I have never seen either in person.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 09:18:33 PM »
Thanks for all the excellent info and pics!  Sounds like they have made a lot of improvements, especially by offering the correct *SILVER* color now, too.  Especially like the splined adjuster and the raised/tilted main eyelet.  I still like the looks of the Helibars Horizons much more, though.  The Precision has the telescoping feature that the Horizons lacks.  But the Horizons can adjust the grips in more ways.

I have never seen either in person.

Ya, I thought you'd like that they are now available in slower silver Max, I remember that being one of your complaints on their previous bars.  ;) :)

As for adjustment points these bars have all the same adjustment points as the Heli Horizons, including that grip position adjustment, rotate em in or out, see pic below.  8)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 09:26:39 PM »
As for adjustment points these bars have all the same adjustment points as the Heli Horizons, including that grip position adjustment, rotate em in or out, see pic below.  8)

You might be right, although I was thinking of the tilt function, which might actually be pretty useless.  Hard to describe what I am thinking (it is 3d and complex!)  In silver they are probably more attractive (to me anyway) but there is something about that angled joint at the grips that just turns me off for some reason.  Also, for something that expensive, it is a shame they don't at least have a RAM ball mounting for the GPS.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2013, 09:41:46 PM »
it is a shame they don't at least have a RAM ball mounting for the GPS.

I ordered up one of these today Max, problem solved.  :thumbs:

http://www.motorcyclelarry.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=46_59&products_id=260

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, 04:01:12 AM »
Were these sent at no charge as replacements or as an upgrade decision on your part? Are you keeping the originals for the parts bike you're building? ;)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2013, 05:30:32 AM »
Were these sent at no charge as replacements or as an upgrade decision on your part? Are you keeping the originals for the parts bike you're building? ;)

Inquiring minds want to know.

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2013, 06:17:52 AM »
I tried the original ones and sent them back.  There were very few positions that worked without hitting the tank a full turn.  I wanted the bars closer but not higher.  I provided some feedback to them as well.  Looks like they improved the product for those who don't want risers.  I ended up with a sargent seat that put me closer to the tank and I am happy with the riding position but haven't done multiple 400+ mile days in a row yet.

If I am not happy with the riding position after a long trip, I will probably trade the Connie off for an Adventure touring bike.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline Cuda

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2013, 07:53:33 AM »
ZG your always finding a way for us to waste more $$$$$$$
I've got the LSL bars and like them but you got me thinking of wasting more $$
Have you noticed any less buzz in the right hand grip , between the grip puppies and gloves it's under control ( I road 12 hours in one day but it was in the 80mph range)
WHERE is the GROUP BUY ??????????????????????
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline philipintexas

• Phils Farkels
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2013, 08:08:46 AM »
Would you post a photo from the side so we can see the resulting riding position?
Need a better luggage rack?  www.philsfarkels.com

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2013, 09:42:19 AM »
Phil,
I'll take some more photo's when my new GPS mount arrives, I had to pull them back off until then because they won't fit with my Heli risers on and that is the only way I have to mount the GPS which I need for tunes/phone/etc, should be later this week.  :)

Cuda,
Thanks for bringing up the group buy question.

If there are folks interested in these I can ask PE about any potential group buy/discount, chime in on this thread if you're interested so I can gauge interest and approx qty.

These guys really do great quality work, I've gotten to know them well over the past year on other custom pieces.  :thumbs:

GP, you know me, I'm always upgrading, Zanadu waits for no one bro.  ;) ;D :chugbeer:

Offline RBX QB

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2013, 09:48:10 AM »
Oh sure... improve them AFTER we had that group buy last year!  >:(

ZG, could you inquire if they'd be willing to offer a trade-in discount for those of us who purchased in the last 12 months (and would consider an upgrade)?

2011 Concours 14 ABS
2̶0̶0̶6̶ ̶D̶u̶c̶a̶t̶i̶ ̶M̶o̶n̶s̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶S̶2̶R̶D̶  SOLD

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2013, 01:09:50 PM »
Oh sure... improve them AFTER we had that group buy last year!  >:(

ZG, could you inquire if they'd be willing to offer a trade-in discount for those of us who purchased in the last 12 months (and would consider an upgrade)?

Will do RQ, that's a good idea, I'll ask...

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2013, 03:09:12 PM »
I tried the original ones and sent them back.  There were very few positions that worked without hitting the tank a full turn.

I suspect that is one reason they raised the main eyelet the way they did.

Offline Cuda

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2013, 06:18:58 PM »
Any less BUZZ in the right hand ???????????????????
Than before , the truth now , I know your a salesman , so ...
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2013, 06:53:18 PM »
Any less BUZZ in the right hand ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ?
Than before , the truth now , I know your a salesman , so ...

:o  Salesman??  :rotflmao:

Hahaha.... I'm far from it Cuda, just ask Gumby, I'm definately a buyer not a seller, trust me I hate selling anything, once I make the decision to sell toys I price them so low that they're gone within days. Nothing worse than dealing with tire kickers IMO, make the decision, price it low, and be done is how I roll bro!
 :chugbeer:

As for buzz, I didn't have anything excessive with the prior set, so I'd have to assume the new version wouldn't either but I'll let you know after I put some miles on em.

Offline Cuda

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2013, 07:59:42 PM »
OK lets put it this way
Was their ANY reduction in vibrations  in your right hand when you switched from your factory set up to your present Precision Eng bars? or was everything the same ?
Did you ever have any issues with the stock set up?
Thanks jj
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2013, 08:08:49 PM »
OK lets put it this way
Was their ANY reduction in vibrations  in your right hand when you switched from your factory set up to your present Precision Eng bars? or was everything the same ?
Did you ever have any issues with the stock set up?
Thanks jj

I didn't have any excessive vibs with my stock bars either C, sorry bro...  :-\