Author Topic: Do slip on cans really give more power?  (Read 20118 times)

Offline katata1100

Do slip on cans really give more power?
« on: February 06, 2013, 12:01:19 PM »
A couple of web sites claim an extra 5hp when used with
pc.
But, the power without the can is done without a pc.
My question here- will a bike with stock exhaust and pc have
The same power as a bike with an aftermarket can and pc.
The same question applies if they have reflashes.

Son of Pappy

Re: Do slip on cans really give more power?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 12:46:31 PM »
Short of a full system installation the gains being reported will be the tune, not the can.  But at least the visual is much better.

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 12:49:17 PM »
Maybe in some small portion of the power band, but not significant.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline Conrad

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 12:49:34 PM »
Short of a full system installation the gains being reported will be the tune, not the can.  But at least the visual is much better.

Plus, if we're talking about the potato launcher, there's a HUGE weight savings too.    :)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline ugocon

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2013, 01:03:08 PM »
Plus, if we're talking about the potato launcher, there's a HUGE weight savings too.    :)
+1  :thumbs:

Stand out from the crowd: do not buy a BMW !!!

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2013, 01:58:41 PM »

+1...

+2...

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2013, 02:00:07 PM »
My experience with other bikes (VTX 1300S and Valkyrie ) is aftermarket exhaust actually reduced power regardless of tune. On the Valkyrie, 6 into 6 Cobra's had significantly less power than stock exhaust. On the VTX even after capping the pair valves I could not get it to stop backfiring on deceleration. It's why I'm reluctant to lose the potato launcher on the C14. So I have a similar question. If I put a slip on such as AreaP or TBR do I have to also add a PC? Can it be done without a PC but still run right and not lose any power? Will it backfire on deceleration? If I lived closer to a dyna tune facility that also had ECU re-flash capability such as Gulh motors I would add a slip on and have it dyna tuned.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2013, 02:17:54 PM »
My experience with other bikes (VTX 1300S and Valkyrie ) is aftermarket exhaust actually reduced power regardless of tune. On the Valkyrie, 6 into 6 Cobra's had significantly less power than stock exhaust. On the VTX even after capping the pair valves I could not get it to stop backfiring on deceleration. It's why I'm reluctant to lose the potato launcher on the C14. So I have a similar question. If I put a slip on such as AreaP or TBR do I have to also add a PC? Can it be done without a PC but still run right and not lose any power? Will it backfire on deceleration? If I lived closer to a dyna tune facility that also had ECU re-flash capability such as Gulh motors I would add a slip on and have it dyna tuned.

I have the Area P slip on (no PC) and my bike runs perfectly. I didn't notice any loss of power after the install. I was a lil concerned about the backfire issue that some had reported with their install. I didn't get anything like that at all. I get a lil rumble on decel but I dig the sound, a lot. Also, so many guys (without slip ons) talk about slip ons being so loud and obnoxious. No way! It's just a quiet as the stocker during 'normal' riding, unless I get on it. Then it sings a beautiful song, especially above 6k on the tach.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline 1 wheel peel

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2013, 02:23:35 PM »
Disregard
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 12:46:19 PM by 1 wheel peel »

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2013, 02:38:45 PM »
I have the Area P slip on (no PC) and my bike runs perfectly. I didn't notice any loss of power after the install. I was a lil concerned about the backfire issue that some had reported with their install. I didn't get anything like that at all. I get a lil rumble on decel but I dig the sound, a lot. Also, so many guys (without slip ons) talk about slip ons being so loud and obnoxious. No way! It's just a quiet as the stocker during 'normal' riding, unless I get on it. Then it sings a beautiful song, especially above 6k on the tach.

Thanks Conrad! That's the answer I was hoping for. I've been looking at slip ons since I bought the bike. I might pull the trigger on the AreaP Carbon slip on this summer. If I do, I think I will try to turn the potato launcher into an actual potato launcher.

Offline katata1100

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2013, 02:46:39 PM »
Here's what I am talking about:
Holeshot claims that their slip on with a custum map made 7hp more than a totally stock C14. Who's to say that a C14 with stock exhaust and custum fuel map wouldn't have made the same power???
http://www.holeshot.com/

Area P showed 5.62hp.http://areapnolimits.com/products/Slip-On-Exhaust-Kawasaki-Concours-14-2008.php
Five hp? Pretty small.
Yeah, I understand the stock can is heavy, but I also love how quiet it is, makes it easy to hear my Pandora through my Oneal blutooth helmet.
I could see myself paying for a tune and a V&H slip on, then paying for an insert to reduce noise, at which point it will still be too loud and with the insert, have the same power as the stocker.

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2013, 03:00:40 PM »
I have a V&H, it does NOT drone ever. It pops on decel, and WOP it is louder than stock, but I can still hear my music and so can my passenger. It is slight louder at idle than stock, but that's only because I noticed it since I start my bike up at 6:45 outside my neighbors window each morning.

EDIT: I do not have the silencer insert.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2013, 03:15:25 PM »
Here's what I am talking about:
Holeshot claims that their slip on [muffler] with a custom map made 7hp more than a totally stock C14. Who's to say that a C14 with stock exhaust muffler and custom fuel map wouldn't have made the same power???

BINGO.

If you want more power, then you replace the muffler, the whole exhaust (remove the cats) and retune the bike.

Replacing just the muffler is cosmetic, wanting more or different NOISE, and/or weight savings (which on a bike like this is still negligible).
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2013, 03:57:46 PM »
It is my understanding that gaining 5 to 7 hp with just the slip on is in fact a gain, correct me if my math is wrong. Regardless.... my bike runs better, idles better, revs quicker, and sounds and looks like it should.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2013, 04:00:05 PM »
You're such a dreamer, Poke.  But I respect you for that.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2013, 04:01:53 PM »
You're such a dreamer, Poke.  But I respect you for that.

Lets do a dyno and compare Robin.  ;)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2013, 04:08:24 PM »
Anytime, anytime.  I'm coming back your way this summer.  We'll do it then.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2013, 04:52:27 PM »
Lets do a dyno and compare Robin.  ;)

I would love to see a C14 dyno run of stock muffler vs. *ANY* aftermarket muffler with NO other changes.  I have been waiting a long time for it and probably will be waiting even longer.  (Of course, it would probably also necessitate a complex statistical relevance analysis too.... and I am not fond of those; has been many years since my dozen credit-hours of university statistics courses).
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline booger

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2013, 07:56:37 PM »
Why sure the do.  But changing the oil and a good wax job does also ;)

Son of Pappy

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2013, 08:00:56 PM »
Why sure the do.  But changing the oil and a good wax job does also ;)
Oil did someone mention oil?  Dino will result in no gain, synthetic blend is good for a %10 gain, and full synthtetic is good for %25.  If you are feeling lucky try Scamsoil, it's been advertised to boost performance by %56.9 and never needs changed :o