Author Topic: Givi E55 Trunk-How compatible is it with a passenger?  (Read 20439 times)

Offline MrPepsi

Re: Givi E55 Trunk-How compatible is it with a passenger?
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2011, 10:28:19 AM »
I'm thinking of ordering the E55, but I'm gunna get the backrest to test.
Is the backrest a permanent install or can it be put on and taken off without sacraficing the waterproof of the case?
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2011, 10:29:56 AM »
I'm thinking of ordering the E55, but I'm gunna get the backrest to test.
Is it a permanent install or can it be put on and taken off without sacraficing the waterproof of the case?

My E52 had to have 2 holes drilled into it for the backrest, I would assume the E55 would be the same way.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2011, 10:30:55 AM »
Thanks, I'll tape it on to test then. :)
I also have Phil's rack.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2011, 12:33:43 PM »
Ordered the E55NT with smoked lenses, candy apple cover, and backrest.
Premier Cycle Accessorries

www.pca-one.com
In cause anyone is curious.

I went with the E55NT and the painted lid instead of a prepainted E55 becaue I could get the smoked lenses and the cost difference was less than $20.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 03:22:07 PM by MrPepsi »
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2011, 12:42:14 PM »
Ordered the E55NT with smoked lenses, candy apple cover, and backrest.
Premier Cycle Accessorries

Whoa congrats!!!!
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline galaxieman

« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2011, 01:10:55 PM »
I'll have to look at the images above when I can take the laptop into the garage this evening, but it appears the E55 actually mounts further back than the E52 which I currently have.  With the backrest installed, the E52 does crowd my passenger (though not uncomfortably so).  Rather aggravating to find out after I shelled out for the 52 that the 55 would offer both more storage and more passenger space.  Grrr...

I actually have a draft email in my outlook at home to Phil asking about whether or not it would be possible to add an inch or so to the rack to move the SW Motech mount further back and allow more passenger room... may be able to justify the E55 upgrade to SWMBO since it appears she'd have more room.
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparat bellum.

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2011, 02:33:08 PM »
With Phil's rack, I can't see how two Monokey Givi cases would give the passenger more or less room. I would assume the slots under the case, where the forward most pins slip in, would be the same location on both cases. Unless the E52 is not a monokey.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2011, 03:24:15 PM »
With Phil's rack, I can't see how two Monokey Givi cases would give the passenger more or less room. I would assume the slots under the case, where the forward most pins slip in, would be the same location on both cases. Unless the E52 is not a monokey.

E52 is a monokey case.  Maybe the slots are positioned differently on the E55.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2011, 03:26:48 PM »
Certainly possible. I wish Givi had pics of all sides.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline EpicBadass

« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2011, 05:24:55 PM »
I'm very interested in buying the E55 and phil's rack... so what im seeing is that if I do the SW MOTECH kit I should be pretty good on room for the wife?

Flathead

« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2011, 06:03:19 PM »
Certainly possible. I wish Givi had pics of all sides.
Rumor has it that Steve is pretty handy with a camera and has the 55.  ;)

Offline Steve Bell

« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2011, 06:06:43 PM »
E52 is a monokey case.  Maybe the slots are positioned differently on the E55.

OK guys here are your answers. Both cases are Monokey and both mount the same way. I have both the 52 and the 55 and both have backrests so I took a few measurements. The 52 sits 9/16" farther back so you would have more passenger room with the 52, BUT my daughter says she can't feel the difference between the 2 cases so 9/16" is not really that much.

Steve.

Offline Huero

« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2012, 12:32:22 PM »
Phil, what if you mill in a groove instead of just the bolt holes to attach the rack?Therefore, people could move your rack foward or back. Similiar to the slots in the projectd rack.

Offline philipintexas

• Phils Farkels
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2012, 01:01:59 PM »
Huero: Two reasons, Premier accessories feels that the slots in his rack were his idea and told me he has patented them. I don't know if that's possible, but either way, I tried slots and personally don't like the look. I believe I have only had one person who returned a rack because his passenger didn't like the trunk position. I've sold hundreds to people who find the position OK. I've run into a similar situation with people who want to use a Corbin "smuggler" and my rack is too far forward so I've modified racks for them. I really don't want to alter the esthetics of the rack to satisfy a small minority. For me it's easier to custom modify racks for them.
Need a better luggage rack?  www.philsfarkels.com

Offline PH14

« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2012, 01:28:05 PM »
Huero: Two reasons, Premier accessories feels that the slots in his rack were his idea and told me he has patented them. I don't know if that's possible, but either way, I tried slots and personally don't like the look. I believe I have only had one person who returned a rack because his passenger didn't like the trunk position. I've sold hundreds to people who find the position OK. I've run into a similar situation with people who want to use a Corbin "smuggler" and my rack is too far forward so I've modified racks for them. I really don't want to alter the esthetics of the rack to satisfy a small minority. For me it's easier to custom modify racks for them.

I'd like to see that patent. For that matter a person could say that Kawasaki patented the rack's hole locations so no one else can drill holes in the same place rendering any aftermarket rack capable of being bolted onto the stock rails a patent infringement.

Offline cablebandit

« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2012, 02:06:45 PM »
Love my slotted Premier rack.  Move it back with a passenger.  Slide it forward otherwise.

Offline PH14

« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2012, 07:38:16 PM »

If it's the Kawi case I think the biggest one they make is the 47 liter, that's what I have. I have Phils rack and was able to slide the trunk mount backwards so that I could clear the Corbin backrest...

I am considering this setup as well. I do not yet have the backrest, but my Corbin is setup for one. Was it easy to slide it back and can you only do that with Phil's rack? I assume from what I'm reading here this will only work with mounts like the one on the Kawasaki box and not the Givi.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2012, 08:29:43 PM »
I am considering this setup as well. I do not yet have the backrest, but my Corbin is setup for one. Was it easy to slide it back and can you only do that with Phil's rack? I assume from what I'm reading here this will only work with mounts like the one on the Kawasaki box and not the Givi.

Slidding the trunk back with my setup is very quick PH, I also have Phil's T-nuts, just losen from the top and slide back and re-tighten, done!  :)

As for other trunks I can't say because I haven't tried anything other than my Kawi, but my guess would be that you would need a mounting plate of some sort like the Kawi uses, a direct to rack mount I don't think has moveable mount points, but maybe I'm wrong?  :-\

I think you'd really like this setup bro, I know I do and so does mama.  :thumbs:

Offline PH14

« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2012, 09:52:24 PM »

Slidding the trunk back with my setup is very quick PH, I also have Phil's T-nuts, just losen from the top and slide back and re-tighten, done!  :)

As for other trunks I can't say because I haven't tried anything other than my Kawi, but my guess would be that you would need a mounting plate of some sort like the Kawi uses, a direct to rack mount I don't think has moveable mount points, but maybe I'm wrong?  :-\

I think you'd really like this setup bro, I know I do and so does mama.  :thumbs:

Thanks for the info. I would probably add Phil's rack at the same time.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2012, 10:32:02 PM »
Thanks for the info. I would probably add Phil's rack at the same time.

Yes, definately, Phils rack is an absolute must for this set-up! Get the T-nuts at the same time, they're well worth it for only a couple bucks more.  :thumbs: