Author Topic: irridium plug gap-page ???  (Read 4330 times)

Offline sroby

• 06 Blue C-10
irridium plug gap-page ???
« on: October 26, 2011, 07:19:51 AM »
Or something like that, Good morning Steve in sunny Fla, Jim Snyder in Hot Texas or T-cro in the great cold North or anybody running the Irridium plugs, Whats  a gap no. to use, I have my old plugs they are at .26   the new irridiums out of the box are alot more open on the initail gap. usually my plugs are pretty close out of the box. Just want to be on the safe side - any one anyone   Bueller!!!!     regards Steve
no.1 Dale Singleton fan along with King Kenny Roberts/Fast Freddie Spencer/ Steve and Shoodabeen.    aka (connkawi)

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
Re: irridium plug gap-page ???
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 07:31:07 AM »
Hey Steve, they're a wide gap plug so you'll need to close it down to .026" HTH, steve

Offline sroby

• 06 Blue C-10
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 07:43:35 AM »
Thank you so much sir, Hope all is well with you and the family, Take care regards Steve
no.1 Dale Singleton fan along with King Kenny Roberts/Fast Freddie Spencer/ Steve and Shoodabeen.    aka (connkawi)

Offline Centex

• Arena
    • Central Motorcycle Roadracing Association
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 10:16:56 AM »
Looking for education, not argument .... why irridium?

Y'all have a specific 'make/model' preference?

TIA
Alan in Central Texas
2004 Connie COG 9476
2001 Ducati M750

Offline GeeBeav

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, 11:42:20 AM »
Looking for education, not argument .... why irridium?

Y'all have a specific 'make/model' preference?

TIA

Supposedly last longer, cost way more.  I ran some for a few K, took them out for a look-see, and broke a center electrode while checking gap. I'll stick to the "regular" plugs.
In the days of my youth, I was told what it means to be a man.

Offline sroby

• 06 Blue C-10
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2011, 10:12:58 PM »
Centex, sorry for not getting back sooner i just got back into town. I got these as a Fathers day present when I got my corbin seat. just now getting around to putting them in.  Dont know myself but Ill give you some feed back.  My son is a controlled rider for sportbike track time on an aprillia mile, He overheard me talking about them one day, so he surprised me with them. they are expensive I think he paid like 34.00 from cycle gear. take care Steve

Offline txfatboy

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2011, 11:11:59 PM »
As far as checking the gap in an iridium plug, DON"T. Yes, I know this doesn't make sense, but the iridium coating on the electrodes are VERY THIN. You can literally wipe off the iridium coating by checking the gap. This effectively turns the plug into a very expensive standard plug and you won't benefit from the higher mileage. Most iridium plugs will last WELL over 100,000 miles if they are not damaged. 
Woody
2014 V-Max
1991 Connie, 17 inch wheels,  ZRX1200 forks with racetech valves and brakes, zx9/ zzr1200 hybrid rear shock, 2 min mod and exhaust cam sprocket from SISF, tubular handle bars, hywy pegs, HID headlight and LED running lights.

Offline gtr1000

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2011, 12:27:02 AM »
NGK say don't re-gap irridium plugs as there's a chance of breaking the thin center electrode http://www.ngk.com/glossary.asp?kw=Should+I+gap+my+Iridium+Plugs?&manID=1&pt=.

Same also applies to Denso irridium plugs http://www.densoiridium.com/faq.php.
Paul OTP (near Windsor, GB).

06 C-10, 2009 to .....
A5 C-10, 2000 to 2009.

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2011, 05:51:04 AM »
Interesting. I've never gapped mine by prying against the electrode, so I assume I'm ok. The gaps need to be pulled down if you want to run high rpms though, due to spark energy at high rpm. I noticed this when I was tuning with them. steve

Offline hlh1

• COG #548
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2011, 05:57:51 AM »
I typicall just change the standard, "cheap", plugs during my yearly maintenance.  Is there any benefit to iridiums other than longevity? 
COG #548
My bikes:  Suzuki 06 WeeStrom, Kawasaki 09 C14 ABS, 83 Suzuki GS1100ED,

Offline gtr1000

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2011, 08:44:22 AM »
  Is there any benefit to iridiums other than longevity?

IMO, and it's probably all in my head - easier starting, smoother tickover, stonger pull in all gears. If there's a better alternative to standard plugs, then why not do it. It's a bit like saying stick coils and conventional coils are the same as they both give the same end result but most of us (and manufacturers) know that stick coils are the way forward.

Back to iridiums - initial cost is high. After many years of using them and, when the honeymoon period is over, they just become another set of plugs that do what any plug is supposed to do.
Paul OTP (near Windsor, GB).

06 C-10, 2009 to .....
A5 C-10, 2000 to 2009.

Offline GeeBeav

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2011, 09:03:13 AM »
IMO, and it's probably all in my head - easier starting, smoother tickover, stonger pull in all gears.

It's called the "Farkle Effect"   ;D
In the days of my youth, I was told what it means to be a man.

Offline jim snyder

• Arena
  • I'm married but my girlfriends name is Connie
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2011, 11:00:46 AM »
Or something like that, Good morning Steve in sunny Fla, Jim Snyder in Hot Texas or T-cro in the great cold North or anybody running the Irridium plugs, Whats  a gap no. to use, I have my old plugs they are at .26   the new irridiums out of the box are alot more open on the initail gap. usually my plugs are pretty close out of the box. Just want to be on the safe side - any one anyone   Bueller!!!!     regards Steve

Hey Steve,
  I normally set all my plugs at .26 to .30 and have never had any problems. I have always run the standard NGK's, they are pretty hard to beat (found that out drag racing M/C's for 20 years).   
"Somedays you're the windshield, and somedays you're the bug"
"An armed citizen is a patriot, and unarmed citizen is a victim"

http://community.webshots.com/user/kawadude

Offline hlh1

• COG #548
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2011, 11:58:51 AM »
Hey Steve,
  I normally set all my plugs at .26 to .30 and have never had any problems. I have always run the standard NGK's, they are pretty hard to beat (found that out drag racing M/C's for 20 years).

My super charged Mustang also likes the standard plugs over the iridium or platinum plugs. 
COG #548

Offline turbojoe78

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2011, 08:22:35 AM »
On the Lincoln Mark VIII forums they say the same thing ... use the standard stock plugs the car came from the factory with.

And yet I have Iridium plugs in my bike ... go figure.
2014 ZG1400 Concours COG memb# 8645

Offline txfatboy

« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2011, 10:02:41 PM »
On the Lincoln Mark VIII forums they say the same thing ... use the standard stock plugs the car came from the factory with.

And yet I have Iridium plugs in my bike ... go figure.

Some cars  have to have the OE plugs because the "resistance" of the spark plug is critical to proper operation of the ignition circuit. There are ignition systems on some cars that will set a trouble code if you don't put the factory plugs back in. Dephi developed an ION sensing ignition system that uses the spark plug as a sensor to determine the air-fuel ratio in the combustion chamber. The OE spark plug is critical in this system. I believe this system was installed on Sabbs and may be on other cars. 
Woody
2014 V-Max
1991 Connie, 17 inch wheels,  ZRX1200 forks with racetech valves and brakes, zx9/ zzr1200 hybrid rear shock, 2 min mod and exhaust cam sprocket from SISF, tubular handle bars, hywy pegs, HID headlight and LED running lights.

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2011, 05:41:15 AM »
Some cars  have to have the OE plugs because the "resistance" of the spark plug is critical to proper operation of the ignition circuit. There are ignition systems on some cars that will set a trouble code if you don't put the factory plugs back in. Dephi developed an ION sensing ignition system that uses the spark plug as a sensor to determine the air-fuel ratio in the combustion chamber. The OE spark plug is critical in this system. I believe this system was installed on Sabbs and may be on other cars.

Dang that sounds like some serious Star Trek Tech stuff there.....  ;)
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline hlh1

• COG #548
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2011, 06:16:27 AM »
My Mustang was much more simple; we just found that it dynoed better with the stock plugs.   ;D
COG #548