Author Topic: Toll tag mounting  (Read 6733 times)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: Toll tag mounting
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2014, 07:41:42 PM »
Exactly right- but it looks like it is upside down.... when it is really right side up :-)

The writing goes toward the fuel tank- exactly how it would go against a windshield. The problem is that we humans want to put it in (easy boys!) so we can read the writing, which is upside down. It cost the EZ Pass folks a few dollars for me to figure that one out....

<sheepish grin>

Brian

I put my ezpass in the tank compartment on my 09.
Works fine as long as you have it correct side up.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2024, 04:41:19 PM »
From what  I understand the best place to mount it is in the side case on the angled section facing forward and up. Use the Velcro to stick it on just like on a windshield. The plastic of the side case is easier to transmit through then a windshield. C14 riders who have done this report 100% success. Plus then it's protected from the elements and theft.

The new "Express Lanes" on I64 are now open.  And from everything I read, motorcycles can use that lane *any time* for free.  I travel that road/direction for a good distance about once a week, so I decided it might be worth the hassle.  It is only a single lane, so getting caught behind someone slow would be irritating.  But otherwise, it is another option for travel if the main lanes had an accident.  Or just because it is physically separated from other vehicles (wider lane and has physical barriers on about halfway) so it would increase motorcycle travel safety.

So I decided to plop down the $20 and the pass arrived today.  I plan to mount it in the right pannier, exactly how you described.  Nothing to steal, no number for someone to examine, protected from the elements, can't just fall off onto the road, etc.  I am not sure how I will know if it is working or not, since they might use plate if the read fails and might not send any notice at all.  Guess I wait and see.  I am likely to use it Saturday night.  So Big Brother will be watching....
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2024, 06:19:28 AM »
I didn't think that you had to use a transponder thingy for motorcycles on roads.  I've never used one up here on 95 before.  What is this $20 option you speak of?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2024, 02:50:49 PM »
I didn't think that you had to use a transponder thingy for motorcycles on roads.  I've never used one up here on 95 before.  What is this $20 option you speak of?

They converted the failed I64 HOV lanes into "Express Lanes" and added readers for that purpose (similar kind used at all the toll bridges/tunnels).

I don't know about there, but here, ANY vehicle using the express lanes is required to have an EZPass account and transponder on the vehicle.  Creating an account and registering the plate is "free", and the transponder is "free", but you have to load a minimum of $20 on the account for tolls.  Then they send the transponder.  Since I am likely never to use any toll, that $20 will just sit there on the account forever.

http://www.64expresslanes.org
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2024, 06:11:41 AM »
I've rode in the hot lanes/HOV up here in NOVA and did not use an ezpass but my bike is registered with the system.  I don't remember getting any bills..

https://vcomonline.org/motorcycles-tolls-transponders-on-novas-hovhot-lanes/

This is an old link and it only mentions NOVA.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2024, 07:17:58 AM »
I've rode in the hot lanes/HOV up here in NOVA and did not use an ezpass but my bike is registered with the system.  I don't remember getting any bills..

If you are registered, and the transponder is not read, the license plate reader SHOULD still link to your account and act the same as using a transpoder.  But, at least in Hampton Roads, I don't think you can create an account without them sending you an EZpass transponder, which they apparently expect you to mount and use.  I scanned through their documentation and FAQ's and can't find any mention of exactly what happens when the transponder is not read.  I can only find anecdotes elsewhere.

Presumably if the tag is not read while in the express lanes, the system will assume NON-HOV mode and charge the full amount of the express lane toll at the time based on vehicle class (which for a motorcycle is zero dollars) to the plate holder's account.  Have no idea if a notification or warning is issued.  If there is no account for the plate holder, it will charge that plus hefty fees which escalate over time ("pay by plate" or "Missed-a-Toll") to the owner of the car via mail.

So it does make one wonder why bother with a transponder or account if you are a motorcycle and use ONLY Express Lanes without using toll bridges and tunnels.  I thought of this, but wanted to be on the safe side with no surprises.  There might be some fee for non-account-holders.  It is amazing there is no info on that.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2024, 05:53:30 AM »
I know about the lack of information.  I have seen HOV signs that state MC OK up here but I haven't been down to your area since the 'change'..

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2024, 06:58:25 AM »
Well, used it the first time last night.  Logged into site today and there were no charges or notifications.  But also no activity under "transactions" either.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2024, 07:25:49 PM »
It can take a few days for a transaction to show up.  Not sure if the weekend is playing into that though.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2024, 04:27:38 PM »
It can take a few days for a transaction to show up.  Not sure if the weekend is playing into that though.

Well, has now been 1 hour shy of 5 days.  Still no notifications and nothing under "transactions."  So I suspect using the express lanes as a registered motorcycle with transponder (or car with HOV selected on transponder) simply records nothing that the user can see because there is no charge or problem.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2024, 10:06:26 AM »
That kinda proves that MCs are allowed without toll on hot lanes...  I do look at my transactions occasionally and I've never seen a bill for using the bike on them or HOV for that matter.