Author Topic: unknown part !  (Read 2378 times)

Offline Jarrod

unknown part !
« on: February 25, 2012, 08:49:51 PM »

I was replacing a leaking oil pan gasket on my 2003 concours and this fell out of the block to the ground when I removed the oil pan.
for the life of me I cannot figure out where to install it ? I bought a service manual but it does not show the location or where this goes!
can anyone help me out ? my poor ol connie is down until I get this figured out. I have attached a pic ot the plastic pipe thingy..
thanks a bunch for the help ! this is driving me crazy !

Offline syntor

Re: unknown part !
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 09:24:28 PM »
You don't reckon it might be a rubbery tip from an oil filler hose that fell into the oil filler hole one time?

Offline George R. Young

• Concours 2001 Farkles
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 09:48:19 PM »
Checked the parts fiche for the crankcase, that looks like a 92190-1075 TUBE. No idea where it goes.

Edited to add pic.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 06:34:36 AM by George R. Young »
65 CB160 (67-69), 69 350GTR (69-72), 72 R5, 73 RD350 (73-84), 82 XZ550 Vision (84-03), 01 Concours C10 (03-19), 89 EX250 (11-14), 00 SV650S (14-16), 03 SV650S (19-)

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 10:16:45 PM »
You don't reckon it might be a rubbery tip from an oil filler hose that fell into the oil filler hole one time?

I like that answer :)

Question: What is the diameter of the tube? How long/wide is it? (set a ruler next to it next time you take a pix)

Seat of the pants, I don't recall anything like that on a C-10

Rick
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org

Offline Jarrod

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 10:39:03 PM »
Its about 2 1/2 inches long and 1/2 OD ... It was up in the case somewhere and it just fell out after i took the pan off ... Ugh this is driving me crazy lol

Offline DeansZG

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 07:06:05 AM »
  Yes, it does resemble p/n 92190 as George has suggested. Don't want to be a smart as** but, how are you viewing the bottom of the motor? Is the bike on a lift, or is it still on the floor of the garage/shed? A mirror is very helpful in looking at all the nooks & crannies of the bottom half of the motor. Be vigilant in your search, I'm sure you'll find it. Maybe you're near another COGger for an extra pair of eyes to take a look.
  I can't imagine an oil filler tube would work it's way to the oil pan before being chewed up & bits circulated through the motor... Is the hose flexible & supple yet, or is it hardened? Although it'll take a day or two to get a replacement part, a new part might fit a little more securely onto the fittings.
 God luck in your quest! 
 Oh, please let us know what you find out also.

Edit to add:  I wonder if it fits onto this;  92062-1080  NOZZLE,6X8,YELLOW ?   (from the oli pan fiche)
'99 C10 "MissTriss" *sold*
'04 ZZR1200 "Sweet heart" *sold*
'81 GL1100 Interstate "Puttz"*sold*
'00 K12LT..."Battleship Galactica".....

Offline Leo

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2012, 07:24:30 AM »
If you are looking at the bottom of the engine with the oil pan off, there is a hole all the way towards the rear of the engine.  That little baffle tube simply pushes up in that hole.  It does not have an "O" ring and the pan holds it in place.  Don't be temped to glue it up in there.  If friction will not hold it, put a little thick grease on it to hold it in place while you are installing the pan.   Good Luck
Yep, still riding the old one

In Indiana, missing Texas

Offline Jet86

• California
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2012, 07:20:30 PM »
I'm gonna take a wild guess, to me it looks like the oil blow by that fills the air box with oil if over filled with oil..

1986 California Connie 87k and counting

Offline Stasch

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2012, 08:35:05 AM »
DeansZG and Leo are right.  That part definitely belongs inside your engine.

I just had my GPZ's oil pan off a month ago.  Its almost identical to the C10's.

The hole Leo refers to is angled up towards the rear of the bike, into the crankcase, just above the oil pan gasket.  The angle will be similar to the angle of the tube in question as shown in the fiche.  The GPZ oil pan had the same type of tube, just with more of an 'S' shape, that fit in the same type of opening in the same area.

Dean's idea about maximizing your access and visibility is key here.

There are a bunch of things that need to remain lined up perfectly in place to get the pan back on.

I was able put my pan back on the bike while on the centerstand with me laying on the ground.  It was awkward to get the pan up there and secured, while making sure that the gasket and everything else was aligned OK. 

I got it on, but not very smoothly, causing concern that the fat dowel on the oil pump assembly or the thick beveled O-ring next to it could have fallen or been moved out of place.

I ended up pulling the motor, and put it upside down on a bench.  Then I took the pan off again to make sure everything was OK, which it was.  At least now I had peace of mind that all is well there.  Would have always wondered about it otherwise.

It was much more manageable to install the oil pan this way, as I could see everything in its place.

The GPZ engine may be easier to pull than a C10's since it doesn't have shaft drive, although I've never pulled a C10 engine.  Not saying you HAVE to pull the engine to do this, but if you have a bike lift so you can see and work better, along with a helper to assist, all the better.

I found it easiest to have most of the parts in place up in the crankcase, with the exception of the plastic sump screen assembly before putting the pan back on.  Most of those parts hold in place fairly well, but it doesn't take much to knock them loose.  Just be patient and exact.

While you're in there, best to replace all those O-rings.  It will help keep the oil pipes in place better during re-install.

Here's the parts that need to line up between the oil pan and crankcase. 

p/n  32033A
       92190 (your part in question)

as shown here:  Crankcase fiche

p/n  671  The internal O-ring (same size as oil filter's)

as shown here: Breather Cover/Oil Pan fiche

p/n  49065 and O-ring
       92043B and O-ring

As shown here: Oil Pump fiche
Stan Visser - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - > C10 STUFF FOR SALE - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1