Author Topic: Hello from the UK  (Read 1416 times)

Offline Scribbles

Hello from the UK
« on: May 10, 2021, 04:12:24 AM »
Hi all,
After many years riding Triumphs I switched about 5 years ago to Kawasaki and after three ZZR1400s I somehow ended up getting my hands on a 2018 H2 SX SE which I rode for several months and added another 4000 miles to and then decided it wasn't for me and I am now the proud owner of an older Harley Davidson FXDWG Wide Glide and a 2015 GTR1400 and absolutely loving both of them. The GTR1400 had been slightly neglected but it was all cosmetic and over the 6 years since new the one owner had only put 7000 miles on the clock with dealership stamps. This is my first shaft driven bike and I may be asking some questions regarding maintenance generally and hints and tips on getting it looking top notch again. So far, I had a bit of a moment as the air pressure was low according to the TPMS after collection from the dealership (poor show!) and it was an absolute nightmare trying to top-up the air at a service station. First lesson learnt.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Hello from the UK
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2021, 06:13:49 AM »
Welcome!
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2021, 09:52:05 AM »
Welcome Scribbles. Boomer is somewhere in the UK. Look for him in the Forum or maybe he'll contact you.

On the issue at gas stations; I purchased a 90* valve stem extension. I screw it onto the valve stem in an emergency.
NOTE: Support it as you air the tire (to assure you don't break your valve stem with side force.}

https://www.ebay.com/itm/133588308339?hash=item1f1a7bd173:g:4WgAAOSwD1BfvxOG

Ride safe, Ted

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2021, 07:26:41 AM »
Welcome Scribbles from sunny, no wait,.. rainy, no,... windy, and now it's sunny again Essex.  :rotflmao:

She should be running 42psi front and rear to be at her best.
If she only has 7k on the clock then she may still be on the BT021s they were supplied with, but hopefully not as they were rubbish.
Pirelli AngelGT2, Michelin Road5 or PR4, Dunlop RoadSmart 3/4, Avon Spirit and others are all good ST tyres and head and shoulders better than the odd wearing Bridgestone BT021s.
If you need an Owners and/or Service Manual, ping me a PM with your email address.

Otherwise, enjoy!  ;D :banana
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline O.C.

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2021, 02:26:54 AM »
Welcome along scribbles from a beautiful Cumbria (even in the rain)  , this is a great forum with lots of GTR /Concourse related help

There is a GTR 1400 group in the U.K which in addition to this excellent site may also be of interest to you maybe for ride outs etc   

https://www.gtr1400.co.uk/forums/index.php
CARPE DIEM

KAWASAKI VERSYS 650

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2021, 10:01:38 AM »
In Europe there is also GCE {GTR Club of Europe}.
http://www.eu.zggtr.org/
Looking at Members; There are 44 members in the UK.
I have many good friends there (including Boomer).

Ride safe, Ted

Offline Scribbles

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2021, 03:54:55 PM »
Welcome Scribbles from sunny, no wait,.. rainy, no,... windy, and now it's sunny again Essex.  :rotflmao:

She should be running 42psi front and rear to be at her best.
If she only has 7k on the clock then she may still be on the BT021s they were supplied with, but hopefully not as they were rubbish.
Pirelli AngelGT2, Michelin Road5 or PR4, Dunlop RoadSmart 3/4, Avon Spirit and others are all good ST tyres and head and shoulders better than the odd wearing Bridgestone BT021s.
If you need an Owners and/or Service Manual, ping me a PM with your email address.

Otherwise, enjoy!  ;D :banana

Thanks Boomer. I'm just over in Kent. It currently has BT021s but I'll be putting Road5s on soon. Weather permitting, I'm thinking of a run up to Colchester Kawasaki at the weekend for a cuppa. 

Offline Scribbles

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2021, 04:10:00 PM »
In Europe there is also GCE {GTR Club of Europe}.
http://www.eu.zggtr.org/
Looking at Members; There are 44 members in the UK.
I have many good friends there (including Boomer).

Ride safe, Ted

Thanks Ted. I'll take a look. Sorted the valves out. Fiddly but grabbed some angled valve extenders just to use while inflating and it's much easier. I could fill a whole post about my experience. It's a long story but in a nutshell the previous owner had put some cheap and nasty bulky valve caps, that I later realised contained led lights (they weren't working!) in place of standard valve caps. I initially thought they were something to do with the TPMS. They were horribly manufactured and I got the hump. Because of some unrelated issues that I was already resolving, I got buyers remorse. I had a meltdown, threw them in the bin and thought, "f*ck the TMPS". Got the tyres up to the correct pressure and finally got out and enjoyed a ride. It handled much better after leaving the dealership with 36psi at the front and 39psi at the rear. Then I had a pleasant surprise when I looked and the TMPS was working absolutely fine without his fairy lights on.
Just a few niggly bits to sort out now.
Thanks again!

Offline Scribbles

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2021, 04:11:37 PM »
Welcome along scribbles from a beautiful Cumbria (even in the rain)  , this is a great forum with lots of GTR /Concourse related help

There is a GTR 1400 group in the U.K which in addition to this excellent site may also be of interest to you maybe for ride outs etc   

https://www.gtr1400.co.uk/forums/index.php

Thanks O.C. That group has come up a few times on searches and I was meaning to join. I'll get myself on their too.

Offline Scribbles

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2021, 04:14:01 PM »
Right....I'll be honest. I'm new to any kind of forums so if I am posting replies incorrectly or generally being a pain in the arse, give me a nudge.
Thanks all!

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2021, 02:12:58 AM »
Thanks Boomer. I'm just over in Kent. It currently has BT021s but I'll be putting Road5s on soon. Weather permitting, I'm thinking of a run up to Colchester Kawasaki at the weekend for a cuppa.
I'm in Wickford (near Basildon) and would offer to meet up, but the weather for Sat/Sun looks wet.
Hopefully we can do that another weekend or yer welcome to come here for a cuppa and chat.  ;)

The Road5s will transform the handling, so the sooner the better.
Go for the 190/55 on the rear. It corrects most of the speedo error and improves the turn in.
I have Pilot Road 4s on mine (GT on the rear, normal on the front) and they handle great.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK