Author Topic: Car one cylinder misfire  (Read 1234 times)

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
  • 2001 Concours, ~35K miles
Car one cylinder misfire
« on: January 19, 2022, 11:48:05 AM »
There are many of you that know engines far more than I ever will. I have a question for you guys...can driving a car that is misfiring on one cylinder damage the cylinder or the engine? The car is 25 years old, inline 6 and I suspect just needs fuel lines cleaned and Spark plugs replaced. I just won't have time to get to it till next week. Plugs last changed 10 yrs ago. But only driven about 30k since.

P0304 code. Twice cleared. Twice back.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2022, 05:31:18 PM by DC Concours »

Offline MrPepsi

Re: Car one cylinder misfire
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2022, 01:47:57 PM »
I believe it can cause issue with excess fuel in the cylinder. I think a mechanic would tell you not to drive it. I am not a mechanic though. Depends on how much you value the vehicle I guess.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2022, 01:48:50 PM »
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline m in sc

• Polluting Rockhill with 2 strokes for decades.
    • 2 stroke world
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2022, 04:37:49 PM »
you need to determine the cause. if its a port injected  motor, might be a bad injector. If it has coil on plug coils, might be a coil. could be a wire. but the days of plugs and 'clearing fuel lines' on anything fuel injected are pretty much over as a cure. I mean, its possible but rare and extremely unlikely.. if its smoking or the oil looks milky can be a head gasket.  could be a broken ring in the cyl. all sorts of causes are possible, but you need to get a legit mechanic to look at it. Not Meineke or AutoZone.  good luck w it.

what make of car and how many miles?
I break and fix stuff.  No more concours's in the stables. see you guys around...

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2022, 06:17:33 PM »
Thank you Mr. Pepsi. I like pepsi over coke as well. I read your link and he says not to drive!

Gentlemen, I wish you guys lived closer to me.

M in SC, the car is an old hand me down Mercedes inline 6. The obd2 is showing p0304. A misfire in cyl 4. Last time it happened, a long time ago, it was worn plugs. She did fill up at a new station and the rough idle and loss of power began soon afterwards. It may just be a coincidence. The plugs are oem copper and they are due for a change.

For now, assume it is just an old worn spark plug #4, is it going to cause damage driving highway miles for a week? The car idles bad, and has weak takeoff acceleration. But just fine at hwy speeds.

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2022, 06:05:56 AM »
Washed my engine once and water collected in one of the plug wells and that plug did not spark hence the cylinder did not fire, ruined the catalytic converter by plugging it up with exhaust goop. It ran kinda ok after I replaced the plugs, but it did not pass the emissions check as the converter was junk. Don't drive it.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline m in sc

• 2 stroke world
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2022, 07:06:12 AM »
interesting, im familiar with them. yeah might be water in the tank. def not good, try to thow a bottle of HEET in the gas tank, it will take care of any potential water and -maybe- the plug will clean off.  Id def get it sorted sooner than later. misfire can still be a coilpack or wire. however, whenever that plug gets pulled, take a good look at it. might be oil fouling again due to a head gasket issue. could be **** in the tank got stirred up and clogged that injector. 
I break and fix stuff.  No more concours's in the stables. see you guys around...

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2022, 10:14:40 PM »
Thanks guys. I'll update you on what I find. I was able to finally procure some copper OEM plugs. f8dc4 plugs are hard to come by locally.

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2022, 05:27:15 PM »
Oh man. I shed a bunch of tears when I saw this. I opened the cover and my heart sank.

Immediately I see all this carbon dust (little grittier than soot) piled up around the coil, above cyl #4. Damn. These coils are expensive.

There was a pile of carbon inside the plug hole too. Damn! And the plug connector attached to coil was covered in carbon too. After I vacuumed it out and grabbed the plug.....The plug was loose!!! Damn. Damn. And the plug was broken too. DAMN. The plug's top terminal was melted to a slant and the copper core was loose sliding back and forth inside the plug! F@#K.

What the hell happened here?

See the pics here.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/2x8sooydron1ega/AAC7PbUbb4JUnrJRqf8nmGZNa?dl=0

Offline zarticus

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2022, 05:53:27 PM »
You can buy coil over plug coils on Amazon for a fraction of what auto dealer or part stores charge. I changed all 4 coils on my wifes ford escape last week. part stores wanted $89 each for their cheapest, I bought 4 on Amazon for $28 for all 4. under 10 minutes to switch out and the car is running like new ! 
2012 Kawasaki Concours 14 -  Candy Arabian Red
2014 Kawasaki Vaquero - Candy Burnt Orange
1986 Honda V65 Magna - Black
1984 Honda V65 Magna - Black

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2022, 01:56:21 AM »
See the pics here.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/2x8sooydron1ega/AAC7PbUbb4JUnrJRqf8nmGZNa?dl=0
Dunno what file format you saved them as but I couldn't view them.
The most common cause of what you describe is that the plug cap/coil is not seated correctly onto the spark plug.
That is why they are almost always bolted down these days.
Not being correctly seated leads to a second gap between the cap and the plug.
The arc there eats away at the top of the plug and generates massive localised heat in that area which cooks plastics and rubber seals turning them to carbon dust. The misfire starts when the arc has eaten away enough of the plug so the gap gets too big to easily arc across.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2022, 06:33:22 AM »
Thanks for the explanation boomer.

The file format is straight from my iPhone— heic. It can take minute to render on your browser. It's proprietor APPL format. You should be able to see the images if you open the link in the newest Google Chrome or Firefox browser. Please let me know if it still doesn’t work I’d like for you guys to see the pictures. It looks awful.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2022, 08:21:11 AM by DC Concours »

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2022, 08:06:26 AM »
Work PC was blocking them. I can see them from my home PC.

Does not look like arc damage to me.
Looks like the cap/coil did not seal and dirt and water got in there.
The top of the spark plug is at a weird angle so that may have caused the poor seal by twisting the adapter.
I would clean all of the dirt out and replace all 6 sparkplugs.
That dirty rubber part just pulls off of the coil pack. It's just a different type of spark plug cap.
Each coil fires 2 plugs simultaneously, the one underneath it and the one that has a plug lead and cap.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline m in sc

• 2 stroke world
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2022, 09:40:52 AM »
consider yourself lucky, that's an easy repair in the grand scheme of things. glad you found it.  :chugbeer:

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2022, 06:56:55 PM »
Thanks. I know these coils would be expensive but I searched online and found them for about 60 bucks  each. Nowhere close to your killer deal. I didn't know they still made them after 2 decades. I'm happy. In plan on changing out the plugs sticks coils and wires. I think that'll cost me some coin but the car is still a great city car.

You can buy coil over plug coils on Amazon for a fraction of what auto dealer or part stores charge. I changed all 4 coils on my wifes ford escape last week. part stores wanted $89 each for their cheapest, I bought 4 on Amazon for $28 for all 4. under 10 minutes to switch out and the car is running like new !

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2022, 07:12:10 PM »
The top of the Plug that you see slightly bent is actually broken. It looks like a lot of heat was applied to the joint and it cracked.

I replaced all 6 plugs And cleaned up the sticks especially the dirty one. after I cleaned everything up things didn’t look too bad. It was 29° outside when I did this so I was in no shape to investigate any further. Normally I would have replaced that one coil but the coil looked clean didn’t have any burns on it. I plugged everything back and I’ve driven about 100mi. It seems to be running smoothly. Thus far.

Work PC was blocking them. I can see them from my home PC.

Does not look like arc damage to me.
Looks like the cap/coil did not seal and dirt and water got in there.
The top of the spark plug is at a weird angle so that may have caused the poor seal by twisting the adapter.
I would clean all of the dirt out and replace all 6 sparkplugs.
That dirty rubber part just pulls off of the coil pack. It's just a different type of spark plug cap.
Each coil fires 2 plugs simultaneously, the one underneath it and the one that has a plug lead and cap.

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2022, 07:18:46 PM »
That’s true. Any repair under the valve cover would cost more than what the car is worth at this point. I’m surprised how the plug got loose under so much pressure. I guess I need to re-torque these plugs every couple of years.

consider yourself lucky, that's an easy repair in the grand scheme of things. glad you found it.  :chugbeer: