Author Topic: Calling all Tank Bag owners, looking for advice and photos.  (Read 31114 times)

Offline cra-z1000

Offline Eupher

• Arena
  • U.S. Army, Retired
Re: Calling all Tank Bag owners, looking for advice and photos.
« Reply #61 on: January 31, 2021, 02:26:53 AM »

I had one of those and really liked it but it faded pretty quickly to a purplish color .

I pulled the trigger on this Cortech. Didn't want a super-huge bag (like the $150 bag offered by Kawasaki); figured this one is just the right size, but it can expand if needed.

If it fades to a purplish color, that'll fit in sorta puke-like with the root beer color of the bike!  :thumbs:
2012 C14 Arabian Candy Red
2003 Honda 919
1981 Suzuki 650E
1965 Honda S90

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #62 on: January 31, 2021, 05:52:23 AM »
Holy thread resurrection, Batman!  I had to go back to see if I answered in it or not.  Guess not.   I used the Marsee expandable magnetic tank bag.  The one in the link is similar to what I had but not magnetic.

https://www.amazon.com/Marsee-Liter-Expandable-Universal-MAR-12DQR/dp/B07K8XDCHY/ref=pd_sbs_1?pd_rd_w=LgJXG&pf_rd_p=de2765fe-65e5-4a88-aaad-a915dea49c67&pf_rd_r=9CA0E99W2YR29HPCH18D&pd_rd_r=bf8e43c1-9c0c-4f58-9b24-4314971cbb3b&pd_rd_wg=DTMgJ&pd_rd_i=B07K8XDCHY&psc=1

I don't know if they are still in business or what but I liked it and it worked well for the C14 on long trips.  Can't use it on the Indian as there are controls on the tank.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline robertv

• 2008 C14 Silver
« Reply #63 on: January 31, 2021, 07:47:30 AM »
On longer road trips I have a Chase Harper tank bag mounted on my '08.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GRR4OC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

What I like about the '08 is the small tank compartment storing hand sanitizer and a microfiber towel. Then on longer trips I'll use the tank bag and carry snacks, camera, portable battery pack and more.

Offline Pilgrim

• '12 Black
« Reply #64 on: January 31, 2021, 08:38:21 AM »
Just came in the other day and it rocks so far. Cortech Super 2.0 18L Magnetic. Fits right over the useless glove box and sticks to the tank. Doesn't slide around and comes off easy when you need to fill up.

+1.   I found the 12l too small.  The 18l works well for me.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #65 on: January 31, 2021, 06:26:04 PM »
On longer road trips I have a Chase Harper tank bag mounted on my '08.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GRR4OC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

What I like about the '08 is the small tank compartment storing hand sanitizer and a microfiber towel. Then on longer trips I'll use the tank bag and carry snacks, camera, portable battery pack and more.

I'd be afraid the sanitizer would combust from the heat in the tank compartment.  :-\

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
« Reply #66 on: January 31, 2021, 07:24:42 PM »
I'd be afraid the sanitizer would combust from the heat in the tank compartment.  :-\

Not much different than gasoline. If we can assume the main ingredient in hand sanitizer is isopropyl alcohol, it will self combust (auto ignition) at around 750F which is not much different than unleaded gas (petrol) in the tank.

The issues are multi faceted, the primary one should be a source of ignition, like a match or a spark. :)

Rick
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org

Offline muguvian

« Reply #67 on: February 01, 2021, 08:48:54 AM »
I hate having something on the tank of any bike, so I mounted an older SW-Motech tank bag to the rear rack using their ION mount.  It has a twin on my other bike so for day rides on either bike I can pack a tire repair kit + tools.  The kit stays in that bag so when I ride my other bike I just grab it and go.  For multi-day trips on the GTR I carry a larger Eclipse bag that I modified by sandwiching a UHMW plate on the inside for a solid floor and the ION bag-side horseshoe.

Offline DGOLD

« Reply #68 on: February 01, 2021, 09:00:00 AM »
I have a large Chase Harper for big trips. Occasionally I find that the ABS is turned off after I have had  the bars locked. No big deal as it is easy to push the button and turn it on after seeing the light not turn off. Just saying.
1995 c10(gone), 2001 c10(passed on to son),
2010 c14(current mistress)

Offline freebird6

• In a big country...
« Reply #69 on: February 28, 2021, 06:31:58 PM »
Personally I use a SW Motech for daily use. Tank ring attachment.

For Trips I have a Bagster that attaches to the Bagster Tank Cover.
2008 Concours
2007 Mean Streak
99 r1100rt

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #70 on: February 28, 2021, 09:33:20 PM »
I have a large Chase Harper for big trips. Occasionally I find that the ABS is turned off after I have had  the bars locked. No big deal as it is easy to push the button and turn it on after seeing the light not turn off. Just saying

You can't turn off ABS.  The K-ACT button selects the amount of linked braking and should be too high and recessed to accidentally press.  I think you mean KTRC, which turns off traction control.  That one is low and sticks out enough it might touch something.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc