Author Topic: BRIDGESTONE EXEDRA G702 Rear Tire  (Read 13461 times)

Offline Solderwick

BRIDGESTONE EXEDRA G702 Rear Tire
« on: August 14, 2011, 10:04:38 AM »
I know, all we need around here is another tire thread.  ::) But the more I read, the more I look, the more I get confused. People in this forum keep saying that there is "only a limited choice for tires in stock sizes" for our Connies, but searching the different on-line stores, I find dozens of choices for rear tires in the stock 150/80-16 size. Even more confusing is the variety of opinions on what is the "best" tire for the C-10 from y'all. The Avon bias Venoms seems to be on the top of the list, however they are a bit more pricey than I want to spend on a tire, plus I don't like how the tread pattern looks (too "sporty" for my tastes).

That being said, another tire that seems to have very good reviews but haven't found anything here about it is the Bridgestone Exedra G702. The reviews seem to be very positive, showing reasonable traction and over 10,000 miles of tread life. Being a OEM tire for some of the Honda models gives me a bad feeling, but that might be a good thing. For a link, check this out:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/3/31/401/14241/ITEM/Bridgestone-Exedra-G702-Cruiser-Rear-Tire.aspx

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/tpl/tire/product.jsp?skuId=&store=Main&catId=&productId=p541470&leafCatId=&mmyId=

•High-quality original replacement tire
•Specially designed for Kawasaki VN1500G/L Nomad/Nomad Fi 1999-04
•Sidewall ID Information: EXCEDRA G702B 150/80B-15 M/C 71H

NOTE: This tire is engineered for the specified motorcycles, and may also have been the original equipment tire. The compound and construction of the tire is uniquely suited to the weight, horsepower and handling characteristics of the motorcycles listed, even though the rest of the description and specifications may match other tires with the same name.

Dimensions:
Inflated Width/Measuring Rim Width: 6.10 in./3.50 in.
Inflated Diameter: 25.3 in.
Acceptable Rim Width: 3.50 in.
Deepest Tread Depth: 9/32 in.
Balance DOT: Yes-Yellow
Directional Arrow: Yes
Speed Rating: H-Rated up to 130 MPH

Capacities and Construction:
Load Capacity/Inflation Pressure: 760 lbs./41 PSI
Load Range: B
Bias or Radial Ply: Bias Belted
Tread Plies/Material: 3 Nylon/2 Aramid
Sidewall Plies/Material: 3 Nylon
DOT Approved for Road Use: Yes
Tube or Tubeless: Tubeless

Any feedback on this one would be greatly appricated.

Thanks!

-Ken-
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 10:53:22 AM by Solderwick »

Offline Furbo

• Arena
Re: BRIDGESTONE EXEDRA G702 Rear Tire
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 01:43:28 AM »
Ken,

It's all just sourgrapes and pouting  :'(  because:

1. Michelin discontinued most folks favorite touring tire, the Pilot GT

2. No one makes those new groovy dual compound hoops in our size

but, yes, there are choices...
05 C-10
Eccl: 9: 7-10

Offline buzzcut

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 09:59:37 AM »
the bridgestone battleaxe bt45 is a dual compound tire for our bikes

Offline tbunder

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 12:12:47 PM »
I just researched this to the hilt last week- I have decided to go with Bridgestone Battlax BT-020. You can get a matching set, they are sport-touring radials, have stellar reviews online and are around $200/pair. Plus, they come in oem sizes.

Offline Roadhound

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 12:22:04 PM »
I just researched this to the hilt last week- I have decided to go with Bridgestone Battlax BT-020. You can get a matching set, they are sport-touring radials, have stellar reviews online and are around $200/pair. Plus, they come in oem sizes.

So you are planning to run a front tire on the rear of your bike?
Don Ricks
Atlanta, Ga.

"Ride or Ride not, there is no drive."

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 04:12:36 AM »

I think you need to keep researching this as if you do you will find that the 150/80-16 in the BT-020 is a FRONT tire.....
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 04:23:00 AM »
I know, all we need around here is another tire thread.  ::) But the more I read, the more I look, the more I get confused. People in this forum keep saying that there is "only a limited choice for tires in stock sizes" for our Connies, but searching the different on-line stores, I find dozens of choices for rear tires in the stock 150/80-16 size.....

Yes lots of tires in the 150/80-16 size can be found; tires that were intended for Cruisers and HD not a Sport Touring bike. Plus don't be confused by the selection of tires in this size that are for the FRONT of several bikes.

Several 120/70-18 can be found; numerous 110/80-18 can be found.

Find a combo of the two in a matched set and you will understand why we say there is a limited choice. If your willing to run a non-matched set there are still quite a few combos that can be put together. Word of caution is NEVER put a longer wearing tire on the front than you put on the rear as you then risk a wash out if you push the handling of the bike too hard.

Plus your willing to discount a tire because it "looks too sporty" this I do not understand...  :o
Tony P. Crochet

Offline Solderwick

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2011, 09:15:07 AM »
Tony,

I fully understand that there currently is no direct match from Bridgestone for the front tire, but since my Pilot GT still has plenty of tread on it for now, I'm just concentrating on the rear. When the time does come to replace the front, then there are many choices also. You are quite correct that some may be looking at a 15/80-16 tire that is designed for the front. Your warning is quite appropriate.

I''ve also been looking at the Bridgestone Exedra Max tire. Not as specific of a compound as the G702 and it is designed for "cruisers", so just another one to put in the hunt:

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/tpl/tire/product.jsp?skuId=&store=Main&catId=404&productId=p544004&leafCatId=&mmyId=

As to the looks of the tire, especially the tread pattern, I don't think of my Connie as a true "sport" bike, nor do I have the ability to ride it that way. She's called my "Lil' Mule" after one particular vehicle in the movie "Romancing the Stone". Here's a picture of my last trip to Idaho which tells one how it was loaded:

The Avon's tread pattern just doesn't fit my style. Maybe a strange viewpoint, but I'm a strange person.

Thanks for your thoughts,

-Ken-

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2011, 09:33:51 AM »
As to the looks of the tire, especially the tread pattern, I don't think of my Connie as a true "sport" bike, nor do I have the ability to ride it that way. She's called my "Lil' Mule" after one particular vehicle in the movie "Romancing the Stone". Here's a picture of my last trip to Idaho which tells one how it was loaded:

Understood..... You may indeed be very well served with cruiser or other long wearing tires such as the E3 or  Exedra Max, ME880's etc as while they are very long lasting they can be cold natured tires; that is one reason I liked the Venom as it is not a cold tire and gets its sticky and long life by giving you extra thick rubber. I've installed this tire on a friends HD and he could not believe how much better his bike rode with these tires over his HD branded Dunflops......
Tony P. Crochet

Offline tbunder

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2011, 11:12:06 AM »
I think you need to keep researching this as if you do you will find that the 150/80-16 in the BT-020 is a FRONT tire.....

thanks for the update. I did not notice that tire was a front tire. now back to the drawing board. luckily I won't be making any purchases until next spring. for the smartass who asked if I was planning on "running a front tire on the rear of my bike",.....................yeah, I am. :loco:

Offline Roadhound

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2011, 11:46:36 AM »
thanks for the update. I did not notice that tire was a front tire. now back to the drawing board. luckily I won't be making any purchases until next spring. for the smartass who asked if I was planning on "running a front tire on the rear of my bike",.....................yeah, I am. :loco:

Well you seemed to have your mind made up to run the BT-020 tires, you stated you had researched the BT-020's, they only manufacture a 150/80/16 in a tire designed for front fitment. In another thread I had already informed you that the tire did not come in sizes for the C-10. What other conclusion was I to come to?
Don Ricks
Atlanta, Ga.

"Ride or Ride not, there is no drive."

Offline Two Skies

• Arena
  • Road? What road?!?
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2011, 01:10:37 PM »
(snip)

(snip)

So, I gotta ask, where does the rider sit?  The only space I see left is on the tank, and that seems like it'd be uncomfortable...
 ;D
2006 w/50,000+ miles and a few bruises.

MCL Fork Brace & Handlebar Risers.  Bergmen Quick Release Tank Kit, Pilot GT Front/Avon Venom Rear tire.  Trunk w/spoiler.  NGK DR8EIX plugs.  Piece of foam in airbox.  Beads on seat.  Bafflectomized.  Murphs Kneesavers & Fuse Block.  Cee Bailey Winscreen w/vent.  Heated grips.  'Custom' mirrors.

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2011, 02:53:23 PM »
So, I gotta ask, where does the rider sit?  The only space I see left is on the tank, and that seems like it'd be uncomfortable...
 ;D

He's got a 48" inseam.   ;D
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline Solderwick

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2011, 06:39:39 PM »
Fine, trying not to keep straying off the main subject, here is another picture without my helmet and jacket on the seat:

It was a bit uncomfortable for a 1,000 mile ride. That 7.5 gallon tank feels pretty big on the cajones. I was carrying a tent and sleeping bag for a knee-dragger friend. Next time I need to say no.

Now you know why I need a new rear tire.

-Ken-

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2011, 08:08:22 PM »
Now you know why I need a new rear tire.

Maybe a trailer would be a better investment.   ;D
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline Two Skies

• Arena
  • Road? What road?!?
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2011, 11:10:43 PM »
If you haven't noticed yet, we are an easily amused group at times!
 ;)

Hopefully we've been giving you good tire info though.  Loving my Venom rear, even though it's a little more pricey...
2006 w/50,000+ miles and a few bruises.

MCL Fork Brace & Handlebar Risers.  Bergmen Quick Release Tank Kit, Pilot GT Front/Avon Venom Rear tire.  Trunk w/spoiler.  NGK DR8EIX plugs.  Piece of foam in airbox.  Beads on seat.  Bafflectomized.  Murphs Kneesavers & Fuse Block.  Cee Bailey Winscreen w/vent.  Heated grips.  'Custom' mirrors.

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2011, 05:10:13 PM »
Just mount the Bt 020 front tire on the back with the arrows pointing the wrong way. ;)
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline Solderwick

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2011, 09:40:54 PM »
Just mount the Bt 020 front tire on the back with the arrows pointing the wrong way.

Now THAT is funny!   :)