Author Topic: what engine can I use?  (Read 12598 times)

Offline jacksdad

Re: what engine can I use?
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2017, 05:04:41 PM »
Its also done 90k miles, so maybe I'll keep looking:
It looks like the 1000 engine with external oil pipe is a 998cc  and doesn't have upper engine mounts, won't fit. the 997 engine has internal oil supply and does have upper engine mounts, will fit, just my idea so far :D

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2017, 05:04:48 PM »
Ive contacted the seller to see if they will pallet up the motor for me to get collected, its a 600 mile round trip for me to collect, would cost more than the engine is worth.

I refrained from making comments on the "other" forum, about the idea of transposing any other engine into a ZG, than a ZG engine, but have to laugh out load about this after reading for days, the thoughts about "that project" and ask, are you serious?
I mean you were talking about a couple thousand dollars of retrofit and conversion processes, and now, it cost's too much to jump into a car, drive half a day, toss an engine in your trunk..(or Boot, as you folks call it) and return home...

hell, we hold weekend rides where we ride these silly bikes from point "A" to lunch, and return via a different route, before dark, and embibe...when we get back to point "A"...

a shipper here, picking something up en-route, and dropping it off from a 600 mile trek, costs a bunch more than any gas price to do the same in a pickup truck here getting 20 miles to a gallon of fuel.

best of luck tho, you got a great price on a part, best of luck swapping it out, and really glad you won't be trying to adapt an engine into the bike, and asking for mega assistance from people so far away, to give you explicit directions for the process, which in the end, will cost approximately what that bike sold for new.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline jacksdad

« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2017, 05:59:23 PM »
its done 90000 miles, and the fuel cost alone is £200, I can get another model engine thats done 40k, for £125...if it will fit.
What if I spend a full 24 hours and £200 fuel, then strip it, and find its fucked? do I take it back for a refund, at best, as thats what I would be told to do, by law.
Where do you get "a couple thousand dollars of retrofit and conversion processes" and "will cost approximately what that bike sold for new  "
There's also the idea of doing a conversion just to do it: I'm a skilled motor mechanic, and do this sort of job on cars, 4x4's and bikes, but not having done this exact job before, am asking for advice...and not smart arsed comments from some ***** who has nothing helpful to say.

Offline Hooligan

• never assume, get the facts
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2017, 10:37:44 PM »
 :yikes: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
It is what it is....If not, it must be something else.
2012 K1600GT
2009 ZX14

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2017, 06:13:30 AM »
Indeed.  I don't normally expect this kind of shenanigans in the C10 boards.  C14 yes, C10 no.  I think I'll let T or Rick sort it out.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2017, 06:48:26 AM »
Indeed.  I don't normally expect this kind of shenanigans in the C10 boards.  C14 yes, C10 no.  I think I'll let T or Rick sort it out.

Nothing to sort out Jim since the sage advice from the smart arsed ***** while spot on was not well received we can just leave the topic closed as a guide for what to not say or do on the forum...

Good day to all...
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2017, 08:35:11 AM »
Tanks.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.