Author Topic: Strange handling  (Read 8395 times)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Strange handling
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2013, 02:23:53 PM »
Perhaps you could tolerate using the 180/55-17 and get the benefit of the profile, without so much height increase?

When the time comes, I will ask my best friend, who is major into this stuff and see what he thinks.  I am at about as low as I feel is "safe" so I should be OK with the stock sizes.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2013, 02:29:19 PM »
I would imagine the stock tires would be fine for the flat lands. I live at the edge of the Cascades and can be on twisty roads in about 10 minutes.

I am near the ocean.  All cities and flat.  Takes me 40 minutes to get anywhere that is somewhat "nowhere" and interesting.  Now having no riding buddy, and being out of shape and tired all the time, I don't ride nearly as much as I used to.  Add to that the Concours being large, heavy, and tall and me being small, light, and short-legged, I never really feel in control or comfortable (mostly just stressed; which is much different from the ZRX).  Probably doesn't help having worn OEM tires and having lowered the bike some (which does affect the handling).

I ran the Stones for 3200 miles and put PR 2’s (PR3’s not invented yet) on the 09.  The PR2’s made the C14 feel like a new bike. The PR2’s built confidence on the bike from the first day I owned them and I did not have to fight them. I made it to 15K with the 2’s and at the end they handled about as well as a stock stone. Next set was the 3’s. The rear 3 didn’t wear as well as a 2. The front 3 is wearing very well. Today for me if I put new rubber on my 14 the combo would be stock sizes with a PR3 up front and a PR2 on the rear.

It would never even occur to me to mix different models/types of tires.  Sounds interesting, though.  There are plenty of threads on PR2 vs. PR3 vs. whatever... but you are not the first that indicates the PR3 wears faster than the PR2.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2013, 03:18:27 PM »
Now having no riding buddy, and being out of shape and tired all the time....

My riding buddy used to live in Chesapeake and now has moved to Columbia, MD.  I don't ride with him much anymore.  Maybe we can meet up halfway with some other riders down there this spring and have a go of it.  We can do the windshield thing..  Yeah, I know you've heard this before but last year I didn't ride as much as I wanted.  It's a nice ride for me down 17 from King George.  I'm out of shape as well but how much shape do you have to be in to ride the bike?  That's why I ride a bike with an engine in it and not the pedal variety.  None of us can catch it if it falls so what's the point with all that exercise...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Z71

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2013, 03:48:13 PM »
Agree with using a 190/55 rear.

What's the main advantage to using that instead of the stock size?  Slightly taller tire?  It will effectively change the gearing too, meaning engine RPMs will drop a hair at the same speed in every gear.  This could mean a 1 MPG increase in fuel economy at cruising speed.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2013, 03:51:10 PM »
I haven't done that 'mod' but many have and the anecdotal evidence suggests that handling improves and certain things become larger.....I'm just sayin..  But really, no negatives.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2013, 04:07:18 PM »
My riding buddy used to live in Chesapeake and now has moved to Columbia, MD.  I don't ride with him much anymore.

And mine got married, moved 35 min away (was across the street), and let his RF900 rot in storage for several years.  He is likely to never ride again.

Maybe we can meet up halfway with some other riders down there this spring and have a go of it.  We can do the windshield thing..  Yeah, I know you've heard this before but last year I didn't ride as much as I wanted. 

I was going to say "Deja Vu" :)
I am certainly "game"

Sorry, I didn't mean for it to sound like a sob story, just an explanation as to why I don't have all that many miles (5500 in not quite 2 years yet) and still feel out of control on the bike.

It's a nice ride for me down 17 from King George.  I'm out of shape as well but how much shape do you have to be in to ride the bike?

Tell that to my back/neck/arms/knees...  I am far too young to be having so many problems.  Stress, desk job that keeps me immobile, FMS, CTS, RSI, CFS...  all those nice, mysterious 3 letter words.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2013, 04:59:04 PM »
And don't forget CRS, I have that one..

Offline pistole

« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2013, 07:32:15 PM »
- believe what they're trying to tell you - the stock tyres are crap.

- fronts will develop a crazy wear pattern almost from new.

- changed the stock tyres (before they were even worn out) to Pirelli Angel STs and I pretty much got a new bike after that , which handled like it should.

- only one good thing I would say about the stock tyres : they're rock solid at very high speeds , in excess of 120/130 mph. The Angels will start to waver/weave at those speeds.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2013, 08:16:18 PM »
The rear stone is a good tire, the front is the issue.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline Tim

« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2013, 04:08:48 AM »
The rear stone is a good tire, the front is the issue.

In a nut shell Pokey hits the nail squarely on the head.
I don't always ride a street bike. But when I do, it's a Concours. Ride safely my friend.

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2013, 09:25:57 AM »
I haven't done that 'mod' but many have and the anecdotal evidence suggests that handling improves and certain things become larger.....I'm just sayin..  But really, no negatives.

The German magazine "Motorrad" (with a well documented bias to BMW) compared the Kawa with the new Yamaha FJR, the new Triumph Trophy, the BMW RT and the BMW K16. Of course the BMW won...  ::)
According to them, the Kawa is 5th overall and in all categories (chassis, everyday use, safety and running costs) except engine (3rd), and they went to the extent of saying that it is less sporty than the BMW K16 :-X Then they went on to mention that a '55 on the rear would help "save the handling".
I don't know about that advice, but everything else in that article smelled to sponsoring  >:(
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 05:09:17 AM by martin_14 »
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline ugocon

« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2013, 01:29:48 PM »
AAAAARRRGGGHHHHH !!!!! >:( :cannon:

It's always the same story...

Most of  "journalists" don't dare going against a best seller and this helps the "hated" to keep being a... best seller!  :banghead:

And I'm not mentioning "paying" the "journalists"... ;) :pukeface:

But I'm not against BMW itself: they're doing their job!
I'm against the vast majority of BMW buyers who buy it only because ... all the others do it!
Sheep!

Stand out from the crowd: do not buy a BMW !!!

Offline TallyRex

« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2013, 04:00:38 PM »
I've not tried the PR's or Angels yet, but highly recommend the Dunlop Sportmax Q2's as a replacement. Agree with using a 190/55 rear.
My next pair of tires may go on sooner than later, now that it appears I need to solder in some new TPS batteries. I'll be trying a set of Korean made Full Bore tires, that sort of resemble Shinko's, but have a very thick carcass.

The Q2s are sticky, but you'll only get 2500 miles from the rear. Never heard of Full Bore and I'm not gonna trust my azz with a tire that I don't feel confident in.  Go with Michelin PR2s or 3s

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2013, 04:21:25 PM »
AAAAARRRGGGHHHHH !!!!! >:( :cannon:

It's always the same story...

Most of  "journalists" don't dare going against a best seller and this helps the "hated" to keep being a... best seller!  :banghead:

And I'm not mentioning "paying" the "journalists"... ;) :pukeface:

But I'm not against BMW itself: they're doing their job!
I'm against the vast majority of BMW buyers who buy it only because ... all the others do it!
Sheep!

That's telling them, Ugo!