Author Topic: What'd you do for your Connie today?  (Read 113052 times)

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
Re: What'd you do for your Connie today?
« Reply #460 on: August 29, 2012, 11:04:44 AM »
Yesterday I changed the slide springs in my carbs to lighter springs from a ZRX and got some nicely improved throttle response.

I've heard of this a few times on the site.  Is this something that is an all around good idea?  in other words, is it a performance only item?  Does it hurt fuel mileage or anything else?  Should any rejetting be done (I have SISF's "power jet kit")?  Anything else to consider?

P/N please or year of bike to look for.  Thanks in advance! :popcorn:
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline turbojoe78

• Arena
« Reply #461 on: August 29, 2012, 01:51:22 PM »
I've heard of this a few times on the site.  Is this something that is an all around good idea?  in other words, is it a performance only item?  Does it hurt fuel mileage or anything else?  Should any rejetting be done (I have SISF's "power jet kit")?  Anything else to consider?

P/N please or year of bike to look for.  Thanks in advance! :popcorn:

You would have to talk to SISF if you were looking for info on what you could do with the stock carbs.
I have 36mm carbs from a 86 ZX1000R that I'm running on my bike now, and yes I would call it a "performance only" item.
I installed the carbs, along with Steve's power cams looking for more mid-range torque and increased top speed ... I've gotten both  ;D

The cost so far was going from 46 mpg to 40 mpg, but I'm still working on the fine tuning.  (the springs were part of the fine tuning)
2014 ZG1400 Concours COG memb# 8645

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #462 on: August 30, 2012, 06:11:00 AM »
Turbojoes 36's had really stiff springs designed for the zx1000 cams. The zrx springs are softer. there are no softer springs for the 32's that I'm aware of. Because the 32's are small for these engines, the slides pull up fine with stock springs, and I wouldn't recommmend changing them. HTH, steve

Offline turbojoe78

• Arena
« Reply #463 on: August 30, 2012, 01:19:45 PM »
Repaired my broken left mirror and put that, and my Cee Bailey shield back on my bike.

Boy, do I like riding behind the CB compared to the 12 1/2" cut down stock shield.

Oh ya, it's nice to have both mirrors again too.  ;D

Offline jeffrey van donselaar

« Reply #464 on: September 02, 2012, 06:48:44 PM »
Well, I didn't do too much........ I installed the carbs that I got back from SISF, as well as the exhaust sprocket, and overflow tubes. I did a valve adjustment, installed new choke and throttle cables. Then, I installed my zzr shock and washed her.

Offline CARider49

« Reply #465 on: September 03, 2012, 05:21:01 PM »
Not today specifically, more like over a 3 day period - New oil, new filter, new air filter, new plugs, adjust the valves, adjust the valves again, panic that the timing had jumped, new cam chain tensioner by Mark Krieger, curse loudly at her every ten or so minutes, decide that a screw kit was in order (the bike was loved at one time that much is obvious but they were not good with screws) and finally decide that my old man is a hell of a lot better wrench than I will ever be. Next up the fun stuff test ride, beers aplenty and a bath for my mistress. 
'03 C10 - "Mistress Ginger"

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #466 on: September 13, 2012, 05:09:13 PM »
Ahh, I see you have an 03.
Fastest Color!

Ride safe, Ted

Offline turbojoe78

• Arena
« Reply #467 on: September 18, 2012, 06:39:39 PM »
Found and fixed my coolant leak.

Seems the PO used the wrong length screws in the front underneath the belly pan, you know, the ones that if you use too long of a screw it goes through the bottom of the coolant reservoir, or puts to much pressure on it and it cracks.  Mine had a 2" crack.

He used some sort of sealer or glue and it held till about a week ago.

Cleaned it all up and re-sealed it with ABS cement.  We'll see how long this fix lasts.

Offline donteatmyfood

• DONT PANIC
    • Dont Eat My Food
« Reply #468 on: September 19, 2012, 09:04:01 AM »
Last weekend: Added 1.25" bar risers and had to adjust the fork tube height to do so.  Different feel, lighter and more maneuverable.  I need to take it to an empty lot and do some practice. 

Last night: Made cuts in the mirror gasket and adjusted the mirror tension, reset the mirrors.  Got fed up with having to adjust them (esp. the right side) once or twice each ride!

Dug into my fan problem.  Riding with some slower friends earlier (*cough*mopeds*cough*) it got pretty hot during some stop and go but at least did not overheat, fan not coming on.  Tried the switch bypass trick, no go.  Dug into the fuses, everything in good shape there.  Started messing with the connector...aHA!  Loose connector.  Cleaned and had to bend up the snap lock for one of the female leads, but now the fan is back to fully functional.  I was worried it was going to be a full fan replacement.  I want to eventually make the change to the aluminum fan but for now its functional.  If they come soon, next will be cables and clutch work.   
Keep the shiny side up!

Offline turbojoe78

• Arena
« Reply #469 on: September 19, 2012, 01:30:36 PM »
Put faring extenders and lower scoop/deflectors back on to get ready for the cooler weather.

Offline Smooooth

• Syracuse, NY
« Reply #470 on: September 19, 2012, 07:23:06 PM »
Been doing body work:

From this:

To this:

Stephen

Project came be viewed at:
http://s1001.photobucket.com/albums/af140/spstrock/97%20Kawasaki%20Concours/
97 C10
73 Honda CT70

73"s de WA2FDU

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #471 on: September 20, 2012, 07:07:00 AM »
Nice job on the repair :thumbs:
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #472 on: September 21, 2012, 08:30:02 PM »
I replaced a defective Journey 890 Shinko with another 890 that was not out of round, that replaced a Michelin Commander II that was dangerous in the rain, that replaced an Avon Venom that was starting to come apart. In the last 3k miles, I've had four different rear tires on my bike. >:(
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline Jet86

• California
« Reply #473 on: September 26, 2012, 02:24:31 PM »
I pulled off the road and took this pic

1986 California Connie 87k and counting

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #474 on: September 28, 2012, 12:41:57 PM »
After de-badging the panels (on my dad's bike that i'm restoring) I painted all of the plastics black except for the main fairing that needs some cracks fixed first.  They'll still need clear coat before they are done.  Wow, was that some work.  It took all day.  At least clear coat will be pretty easy.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline F-106

« Reply #475 on: September 28, 2012, 01:54:00 PM »
My heart goes out to you. I have been though the process myself.
quote author=RFH87_Connie link=topic=2.msg133420#msg133420 date=1348857717]
After de-badging the panels (on my dad's bike that i'm restoring) I painted all of the plastics black except for the main fairing that needs some cracks fixed first.  They'll still need clear coat before they are done.  Wow, was that some work.  It took all day.  At least clear coat will be pretty easy.
[/quote]
IN THRUST WE TRUST

Offline MrBob

« Reply #476 on: September 29, 2012, 10:36:44 PM »
 Adjusted valves, synced carbs, replaced plugs, replaced spark plug well, valve cover, and pickup coil gaskets, replaced front tire, installed Hot Grips, Buck's J box rebuild, Murph's petcock rebuild kit, replaced fuel filter, installed defective rear tire - doh! (Fingers crossed on replacement tire)

Offline Ron Dawg

• Arena
  • a/k/a ron203
« Reply #477 on: September 30, 2012, 01:39:19 PM »
Installed the Bergman SPOOFAK kit with Mobile 1 Synthetic and modified belly pan so no more pulling plastic to change the oil (!!), checked the tires, adjusted the shock from position 2 to 3, added air to it, went for a ride. Nice!
2014 C-14 Red

Offline turbojoe78

• Arena
« Reply #478 on: September 30, 2012, 03:48:01 PM »
Continued the fine tuning on my 36mm carbs.

I moved a washer from above the c-clip's on the needle's, to below the clip's and got rid of a flat spot I was getting with slight throttle increases at 2000 rpm's.

Offline MrBob

« Reply #479 on: September 30, 2012, 07:54:22 PM »
  I pulled the wheel with the defective tire today, feeling hopeful its replacement will arrive tomorrow. I was working solo and faced the struggle to raise and lower the wheel into place. I tried one of the tools of the trade and it worked perfectly  ;D

I also used my Dremel to cut a few inches from the rear fender. This allowed tire clearance with the center stand on a 1x rather than a 2x.