Author Topic: front suspension issue/problem on my 2006  (Read 10412 times)

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
Re: front suspension issue/problem on my 2006
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2013, 04:19:39 PM »
I just remove the bottom bolt. I use a  broom handle to hold the emulsion tube still when putting it back together. The only tool I need is an air impact tool to remove the bolt. Then some brake cleaner and compressed air to make sure it is all out and  clean in there.
Better yet, you need to learn how to remove the fork tubes anyway as it is easy to do.
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline julianop

« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2013, 09:22:10 PM »
Thanks for these fresh replies. I'm going to address this issue in the spring, but I'm working on a second set of wheels so I don't have to survive without a ride while I do the work  :yikes:
Julian.
Elk River, MN.
Seasonal Temporal Navigational Disorder - that inexplicable but wholly satisfying affliction that causes one to lose the ability to drive a motorcycle straight home after work in the summer months, despite the apparent ability to make the reverse journey that same morning.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2013, 04:56:46 AM »
How about those pics on the tab fix?

"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Gitbox

« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2013, 06:49:18 AM »
To you guys that added drain holes to your forks, how did you deburr the holes? I had a heck of time deburring the holes I had to drill in the emulsion tubes for the cartridge emulator upgrade.

(great upgrade, by the way)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 10:13:07 AM by Gitbox »
2008 Yamaha FJR1300A
2004 Yamaha FJR1300 (sold)
2000 Kawasaki Concours ZG-1000 (sold)

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2013, 10:53:51 AM »
I just used a REAL big drill bit  with my fingers.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2013, 08:30:32 PM »
To you guys that added drain holes to your forks, how did you deburr the holes? I had a heck of time deburring the holes I had to drill in the emulsion tube for the cartridge emulator upgrade.

(great upgrade, by the way)

Are you talking about the inside or outside?

Offline Gitbox

« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2013, 09:09:52 AM »
The inside. (duh  ;)  )

I was thinking those little burrs from the drilling process might break off at some point and mess up the fork works. Call me anal.

I asked a machinist about deburring the emulsion tube holes (on the inside) and he recommended, as he called it, a Kentucky reamer - a slot in a rod with sandpaper in it. Attach it to a drill and spin away until smooth. I suppose I could've done the same thing with the drain holes.
2008 Yamaha FJR1300A
2004 Yamaha FJR1300 (sold)
2000 Kawasaki Concours ZG-1000 (sold)

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2013, 09:37:07 AM »
I think the issue of deburring the inside can be removed if you use the following method. Use a small bit as a pilot bit to keep it from walking. The second bit should be a couple of sizes smaller than the final size. Then use the final size. Usually the burr comes from using  a bit to remove a lot of material. As an example, for an 8-32, the recommendation (in the chart I have) for 75% threads on aluminum should be a #29 bit (.1360). I would use as my second drill bit either a #31 (.1200) or a #32 (.1160). And be sure to let the bit do the work, do not try and shove it thru.

K-woppa

« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2013, 04:23:59 PM »
How about those pics on the tab fix?

If it helps at all, I have a thread over on ex500.com where I show how I did a bunch of small plastic repairs on my Connie using West System Gflex epoxy.
 http://www.ex-500.com/index.php/topic,54361.0.html
You would have to make yourself a member of the forum to read it, but it you're interested in plastic repairs it could be helpful. 

Offline Alex_V

« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2013, 08:25:01 PM »
Was the bike ever down?

It's a wild guess, but forks binding can make them feel stiff. That is what is going on a C14 project that I am fixing. Sometimes loosening all bolts: triples, axle and re-tightening will reset the forks back to straight, sometimes parts need to be replaced. This often happens on race bikes that kissed the pavement.

Just pointing a finger in the sky for another probable cause.

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline datsaxman@hotmail.com

• Arena
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2013, 10:55:54 AM »
Yes, I did NOT do anything fancy to deburr the insides of the holes, but DID use four bits
to generate small chips.  Flush, flush, flush, greased the tap, cleaned it several times and regreased, etc.  Plus there was the (patent pending) leaking seal to continue to purge the chips while I was learning that the tubes would need a flat for the washer to seat. 

Mike, OP may already "know how to pull the fork tubes", but may want to NEVER have to do that job.

That was me.  "Learned how" about 45 years ago, myself.  Not excited about pulling the whole front end apart if I can avoid it, really. 

saxman
2008 ZG14X...ZX14 throttle bodies, full AreaP exhaust, heated grips, Corbin, and more...
161.5RWHP on the dyno
Formerly Silverdammit!