Author Topic: Car tires on motorcycles  (Read 5009 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Car tires on motorcycles
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2012, 06:17:08 AM »
Yeah, I searched for 'car tires' and didn't get much.  Probably would have started my own thread anyway.

You did....
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Jack Daniels

• Ain't nobody chasin' me boy
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2012, 06:18:13 AM »
This is like discussing religion or politics on this forum. It can create some heated arguments and polarizing opinions. There are quite a few who feel very strongly that is very dangersous and should not be done. Other say they haven't crashed yet and they saved $400 in the process. Use your searching, and you can see what I mean.

I for one, am not trying to decide if it's a good idea or not.  I'm not trying to start any heated debate.  I found some interesting photos and I thought I'd share them.  I figured the 'open forum' on this board was the place to do it. 

I'm a moderator on another car related forum.  If someone gets out of line, thats what moderators are for. 

Offline Jack Daniels

« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2012, 06:23:22 AM »
You did....

I did, and I'll be frank, I think people go overboard with responses saying "use the search function" on forums like this.  Sure, the topic may have been discussed before but unless the board is slammed with traffic, what's the big deal?  Don't know about you guys, but I visit boards like this to learn, share ideas, spend time, talk, have fun, etc., etc. 

Offline Jack Daniels

« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2012, 06:30:54 AM »
And by the way, if I come off as being angry, I'm not.  Sometimes writing doesn't relay emotion all that well. 

Carry on...

:chugbeer:

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2012, 06:43:04 AM »
I did, and I'll be frank, I think people go overboard with responses saying "use the search function" on forums like this.  Sure, the topic may have been discussed before but unless the board is slammed with traffic, what's the big deal?  Don't know about you guys, but I visit boards like this to learn, share ideas, spend time, talk, have fun, etc., etc.

I use 'Use the Search Function' all the time.  I feel it's my job to remind people it's there and how useful it can be.  When I do find something using it, I let others know how I used it to find the information in question.  It's more of a helpful reminder (educational) and not a criticism of any sort.  I use it myself to be more informed of a topic before I post something that's been beat to death.  You can also use it to gauge the response for a particular subject.  Use it or not is up to you, but be prepared for the comments.

Anything submitted here can be a 'big deal'.  Tis the way of the forum.  You'll get positive, negative, sarcastic, cynical, and smarta** responses to any post.  You'll have to sift those out for the answers.  There is lots of information shared here but sometimes it comes with a price.  The forums here have a life of their own and a 'feel' that I'm comfortable with.  It is what is.  You either like it or don't.  It's up to you.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2012, 06:43:16 AM »
The OP posted a series of pics that we may have never seen had he not. What's wrong with that?
I think those pics showed, if nothing else, that a wide car tire is likely a bad idea.  (I'll admit to having thought about putting a car tire on my bike, but I'm not completely convinced)  A tire as wide as that guy had gets off the tread area really quickly in a turn.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline W14

« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2012, 06:59:04 AM »
Would never consder putting a car tire on my bike, to each is own.

The guy in the video not only endangered his life but also the life of others using the road.

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2012, 07:03:55 AM »
The OP posted a series of pics that we may have never seen had he not. What's wrong with that?

Nothing.....

Putting car tires on your bike for the most part makes about as much sense as starting a car tire thread on a motorcycle forum without clearly stating your reason for doing so......
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2012, 07:06:10 AM »
Is this a motorcycle forum?   Oops, wrong thread.

Offline Jack Daniels

« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2012, 07:06:45 AM »
Nothing.....

Putting car tires on your bike for the most part makes about as much sense as starting a car tire thread on a motorcycle forum without clearly stating your reason for doing so......

I figured the images spoke for themselves, lol.   

"Hey, this guy put car tires on his bike and this is how it worked out for him.  You think I should too?"  ;)

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2012, 07:13:57 AM »
Didn't see anything on this board regarding this topic.  Perhaps my searching skills are weak. 

But I say, post your own posts.  You like to talk about car tires on a motorcycle?  Talk about car tires on a motorcycle.  Don't like to talk about car tires on a motorcycle?  Stay out of threads regarding car tires on a motorcycle.   

8)

That's a pretty arrogant statement to make; when starting what is going to be a highly subjective and opinionated subject you had better be prepared to see a full gambit of responses both positive and negative alike.
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2012, 08:05:42 AM »
I figured the images spoke for themselves, lol.   

"Hey, this guy put car tires on his bike and this is how it worked out for him.  You think I should too?"  ;)

No.

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2012, 08:51:27 AM »
My father is a darksider  :-\.  Do I like it? No, but he is a grown man able to make his own choices.  Of course in his defense; he does ride a Goldwing, pulls a bunkhouse camper, and he isn't exactly out carving up the corners.

Go back and look at the pics.  Look at #3 He isn't leaned over very far and his footpeg is almost dragging.

#11  Look at the "S" curve directly in front of the rider; I think he tried to split the S curve then by crossing the yellow line.

#13  It would appear that he lost traction when he came back across the yellow.  You can see either drag marks or tire spin starting form the other side of the yellow.

Either way...sucks to be him.  Be careful  folks
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline Jack Daniels

« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2012, 10:10:15 AM »
That's a pretty arrogant statement to make; when starting what is going to be a highly subjective and opinionated subject you had better be prepared to see a full gambit of responses both positive and negative alike.

What you call arrogance, I call rapier wit.  ;)

Feel free to lock this one up since it's a tired worn out subject.